Would you PAY for mfp?

Options
I remember several years ago I used a web site called calorieking.com and it was free. Now they charge and it's kind of expensive too. I'm just curious if you'd pay to use mfp? Unless it's rediculously over priced I think I would. I've tried a lot of sites and this one seems to be the most supportive and helpful.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'd pay for the app to get rid of all the adverts
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would. No more than 10 bucks a month though. But yeah.. it's just been too helpful for me with my weightloss. I have no desire to switch to any other weight loss logging app or site, so if I had to pay (within reason) to keep it, I would. For me it'd actually be worth it. I hope they don't do that though.

Although I wouldn't mind them offering regular accounts and premium accounts - just make sure the regular free accounts let you do all you need to do -access the forum, get PMs, log, and sync to devices. Maybe a premium account would allow more PM space, let you post photos on your status updates and comments to others' updates.. I don't know, just give us some extra stuff :) I'd probably spring for it.

eta: what the above poster said! a premium account with no adverts would be awesome.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Sure would. I have come too far to stop now.

However the community is what really makes MFP and that would likely be drastically reduced.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If there is no other free alternative, yes. But as long as there are many other tracking sites (including one of the US government: SuperTracker) I will most likely only pay to get rid of ad's on the mobile app or extra features (cannot think of any right now).
    A price that I would find acceptable for this is 5 to 10 USD.
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    No because I come here for the support. I can log my food anywhere. If they did something that could take people away from the site I would not stay here either and just use personal e-mail
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    No, I would not pay for MFP, I would find another free website. If all the other free ones would magically be gone then probably I would. But there are many free and good ones right now. It's just that MFP is the most popular one. Don't see a point paying for something I can get somewhere else for free.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    I would pay for an app that worked flawlessly (or even at all), and were without adds. Heck, as long as it was guaranteed to work I wouldn't mind the adds.

But for the site itself? No.
  • sunny145
    sunny145 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I remember several years ago I used a web site called calorieking.com and it was free. Now they charge and it's kind of expensive too. I'm just curious if you'd pay to use mfp? Unless it's rediculously over priced I think I would. I've tried a lot of sites and this one seems to be the most supportive and helpful.

No I would leave if they start charging, I used CalorieKing for about 2 maybe 2 1/2 years but left because they upped the fees significantly. I loved that site because I had made some great friends there as well as the tools it provided. But the reason I joined MFP is because CK became expensive. I'm fine with the advertisements all over the page, but if they turn into a pay service I'll be looking for one of the other good free services.

I love MFP and think it's the best free logging site out there. I love that it syncs with my FitBit. But I will not be sucked into another free-turned-fee based website.
  • sunny145
    sunny145 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I should add, several of my CalorieKing friends left and joined MFP also.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP the site as I don't calorie count. I discovered the message board and didn't even have any idea there was an MFP logging application attached to it until I started coming here more regularly.

But it doesn't make sense, to me at least, to pay for a calorie logging system. That's easily accomplishable on your own with basic computer software. Or hell, log in a notebook if you want to go old school. All the calorie and exercise info is readily available all over the net. But hey, I guess if people paid for MFP (technically you already kinda do just by spending time here with the adverts) it would be for the convenience factor.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No, the food database is so filled with garbage entries. Why pay for info that may not be correct? I would pay for one if I knew for sure the databases were correct.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    No, the food database is so filled with garbage entries. Why pay for info that may not be correct? I would pay for one if I knew for sure the databases were correct.

That's a good point - I do wish there was some kind of vetting and cleanup of the entries. Or maybe some kind of "verified" star system - entries that are verified (that yes indeed, Sara Lee hot dog buns have 120 calories) could show up at the top of the search results when you search "Sara Lee hot dog buns" - an entry in a different color or maybe with a star next to it that means "this has been checked by MFP". then the rest of the results below. I'd find that immensely helpful.
  • Big_Banana
    Options
    No. There are plenty of free sites that offer the same thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No, it's just a simple calorie calculator...the forum is fun and entertaining to a degree, but nothing I'd pay for.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    No, I use MFP mostly for the forums.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    No
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    No way. I only use it to log my calories, could do that on paper as I used to do in the past. Going through the food list on the database it's extremely time consuming as there are loads of inappropriate/inaccurate entries... just not worth it.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Another NO