Would you PAY for mfp?

Options

Replies

• StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    No, the food database is so filled with garbage entries. Why pay for info that may not be correct? I would pay for one if I knew for sure the databases were correct.

That's a good point - I do wish there was some kind of vetting and cleanup of the entries. Or maybe some kind of "verified" star system - entries that are verified (that yes indeed, Sara Lee hot dog buns have 120 calories) could show up at the top of the search results when you search "Sara Lee hot dog buns" - an entry in a different color or maybe with a star next to it that means "this has been checked by MFP". then the rest of the results below. I'd find that immensely helpful.

They started doing this on LiveStrong and it was a huge pain and part of why I stopped. Nutritional values are different for the same brands in different places. Most of the "verified" foods were American, and as a Canadian they often weren't accurate for me. It also led to a delay in being able to log things and just became too annoying.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    If MFP had "dietician" or "exercise gurus" on board and if it cleared off the advertisements, etc, Yes, I would pay about $24.99 per year for it. They could ramp up the MFP blog ( which is getting better with every post). I think they could leave the ap just like it is for free, but offer the upgrade version on a subscription basis. Just like words for friends, etc.

I would pay about $49.99 per year if they integrated the nike fuel band seamlessly and had a full bore data group that uploaded nutrition information by every restaurant menu or new grocery UPC code, or had a "certified" vs "uncertified" category on the foods we look up.

Quality costs. I am willing to pay for it.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No, I think it is great the way it is...
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. This site is a convenience to not have to write everything down in a book like I used to. I might be willing to pay a 1 time fee of a buck or two like I did for iMuscle2.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hush, don't give them any ideas, now!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    No
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    As is - helllllll to the no. I deal with certain MFP issues because it is free. There are parts of this site (database & reporting) that would infuriate me if I was paying.

For me to pay, MFP (or a competitor) would have to offer:

• A human curated, updated calorie database - have to be people dedicated to updating it. Preferably updated so well that they don't allow user submissions (or offer a way to turn those user submitted results off). Also, all database entries would be available in grams and ideally be country specific.

• Way way better reporting. Way better visualizations, way more options on what to report. I would want nutritional info by any date range (i.e. what are my overall micro/macro levels for X amount of time). Have to be able to export the data in a wide variety of ways. Tracks everything from the day you sign up

• A better social experience. Simple things like a little "notification" notice right in the site, rather than pushing notifications to your email or phone.

• A calendar view w/scheduling - hopefully that could sync with popular calendar apps.

If that existed....

throwing-money-away.gif
  • Reagan89
    Reagan89 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think now I've used and no how helpful it is I would but if it was a paid app don't think I would of bothered
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    if this site stays the same the no, if they add cools things then yes
  • enks07
    enks07 Posts: 74
    Options
    I'd probably pay for the app but maybe even for site. Of course it'd depend on the price. If it was super expensive, then I'd just look for an alternative.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    No.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The iPhone/iPad version of the app doesn't have ads (it has it's problems though). Which one are you all using that has ads?
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If the website had training plans, pre-planned food diaries, and one-on-one support, then I could see them charging as they would be providing a service.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The iPhone/iPad version of the app doesn't have ads (it has it's problems though). Which one are you all using that has ads?

I'm using the website mainly on a desktop computer and it has quite a few ads.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'd pay for the app to get rid of all the adverts

I don't have ads on the app. I DO have them on the website, which I mostly use for forums.

The app has more useful report too.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If the website had training plans, pre-planned food diaries, and one-on-one support, then I could see them charging as they would be providing a service.

Truthfully, they're providing a service now or we wouldn't be here.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would switch to a free website.
  • samfelder
    Options
    Nope, not even if they made it better & added features...I'm on a budget and every dollar counts. I'd prob just stick to writing things down manually or just finding another app and forum.

& the ads don't really bother me...im used to ads everywhere on the internet (i mean, it does cost money to keep a site/app running ya know?) The biggest thing that kills me is who is buying the ad space. As I'm typing this an ad for DOMINOS is staring me in the face. I mean really? A Fitness site selling ad space to Dominos just doesn't seem right. But hey, money talks.
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Not a snowballs chance in hell would I pay for this.