February Walking Challenge 2014

Options

Replies

• texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Found this online. Very motivating to get you started...

How many steps do I need to take to lose weight?
    The average person has a stride that is 2.5 feet long. Using this stride length, there are roughly 1,500 steps in the average person’s mile.

Each mile that a person walks burns roughly 100 calories. If a person was to commit to walking 4,500 extra steps per day, or roughly 3 extra miles, they would be burning an extra 300 calories a day (at least). Burning 300 calories each day leads to a weekly deficit of 2100 calories. After a month, that’s roughly 9000 cal burned, which equates to approximately 2.6 pounds lost. Keep it up for a year and you’re looking at over 31 pounds lost!

Accumulating those three extra miles a day could be as simple as making small changes such as parking further from the store that you’re visiting, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or pacing while you're talking on the phone. Even if you were to do the 3 miles in one fell swoop, it would only take an extra 45 minutes out of your day.

How many miles a day do YOU need to walk to lose weight?
    The number of miles per day that you need to walk to lose weight really depends on your starting point. As mentioned above, it’s important to find out what your starting point is in terms of your activity level, the number of calories you’re currently burning in the day, and the distance that you are covering on average. Once you have an idea of what these figures are for your personal habits and activities, you’ll get a good idea of how many additional steps you need to take each day to see results.

Remember, it’s all a simple math equation.

Here are the basic numbers;
    1 Mile = 1500 steps
    1 Mile walked = 100 calories burned

1 Pound = 3500 calories
    2 Pound weight loss per week = 7000 cal, or a 500 cal deficit per day

2 Pound weight loss per week just by walking = 5 extra miles walked per day - or 7,500 extra steps (in addition to the distance that you are currently covering while maintaining weight)

2 Pound weight loss per week with diet changes and walking combined = 2.5 extra miles walked per day (3750 extra steps), and 250 calories less consumed per day, for a total daily caloric deficit of 500 calories

Walking is an excellent and healthy way to get fit and/or lose weight. Combine your walking habit with strength training workouts and you will be able to build muscle content, which burns calories at a higher rate than fat, even while you’re resting.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    TEXANINTOYKYO: thanks for all that information. Thanks for sharing.

February 1 - Biking and didn't record steps
    February 2 - Rest Day
    February 3 - Leslie Sasone 3 miles w/weights
    February 4- Walking step pedometer 2 miles
    February 5- Leslie Sasone Walking 2 miles, strength training
    February 6- 1.2 miles steps
    February 7- 2 miles Leslie Sasone w/weights
    February 8- 2.1 miles in steps
    February 9- 1.1 miles in steps - rest day
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Found this online. Very motivating to get you started...

How many steps do I need to take to lose weight?
    The average person has a stride that is 2.5 feet long. Using this stride length, there are roughly 1,500 steps in the average person’s mile.

Each mile that a person walks burns roughly 100 calories. If a person was to commit to walking 4,500 extra steps per day, or roughly 3 extra miles, they would be burning an extra 300 calories a day (at least). Burning 300 calories each day leads to a weekly deficit of 2100 calories. After a month, that’s roughly 9000 cal burned, which equates to approximately 2.6 pounds lost. Keep it up for a year and you’re looking at over 31 pounds lost!

Accumulating those three extra miles a day could be as simple as making small changes such as parking further from the store that you’re visiting, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or pacing while you're talking on the phone. Even if you were to do the 3 miles in one fell swoop, it would only take an extra 45 minutes out of your day.

How many miles a day do YOU need to walk to lose weight?
    The number of miles per day that you need to walk to lose weight really depends on your starting point. As mentioned above, it’s important to find out what your starting point is in terms of your activity level, the number of calories you’re currently burning in the day, and the distance that you are covering on average. Once you have an idea of what these figures are for your personal habits and activities, you’ll get a good idea of how many additional steps you need to take each day to see results.

Remember, it’s all a simple math equation.

Here are the basic numbers;
    1 Mile = 1500 steps
    1 Mile walked = 100 calories burned

1 Pound = 3500 calories
    2 Pound weight loss per week = 7000 cal, or a 500 cal deficit per day

2 Pound weight loss per week just by walking = 5 extra miles walked per day - or 7,500 extra steps (in addition to the distance that you are currently covering while maintaining weight)

2 Pound weight loss per week with diet changes and walking combined = 2.5 extra miles walked per day (3750 extra steps), and 250 calories less consumed per day, for a total daily caloric deficit of 500 calories

Walking is an excellent and healthy way to get fit and/or lose weight. Combine your walking habit with strength training workouts and you will be able to build muscle content, which burns calories at a higher rate than fat, even while you’re resting.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I am experiencing foot pain again so I made an apt today with my chiropractor.
    Walking has been painful today so I hope to get some steps in.

February 2 - Rest Day
    February 10 - 2.2 miles steps
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    4.5 miles today!
    39.5 miles + 4.5 miles = 44 miles:smile:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I didn't track my steps, but yesterday I got a lot of walking in while on my son's school trip to the zoo.
  • salevy
    salevy Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

2/1 - 50 minutes
    2/2 - 1 hr 10 minutes
    2/6 - 30 minutes
    2/8 - 2 hours 50 minutes (home show & I used it as my exercise since I walk alot more)
    2/10 - 1 hour 5 minutes
  • salevy
    Options
    I'm in.

2/1 - 50 minutes
    2/2 - 1 hr 10 minutes
    2/6 - 30 minutes
    2/8 - 2 hours 50 minutes (home show & I used it as my exercise since I walk alot more)
    2/10 - 1 hour 5 minutes

Forgot to add today

2/12 - 55 minutes
  • Shirley61
    Options
    February 2 - Rest Day
    February 10 - 2.2 miles in steps
    February 11- 1.1 miles in steps
    February 12- 2.2 miles in steps
  • airdiva1
    Options
    Today in Memphis it was sunny and mild. Got out on the trail and also inhouse walking.
    Walked a total of five miles today!
    5 miles + 44 miles = 49 miles!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    February 2 - Rest Day
    February 10 -2.2 miles in steps
    February 11- 1.1 miles in steps
    February 12- 2.2 miles in steps
    February 13- 1.3 miles in steps
    February 14- 2 Miles Leslie Sasone w/weights
  • airdiva1
    Options
    I'm a little over the half way point!!:happy: :happy:
    Did four miles today to bring me over 50 miles!
    4 miles + 49 miles = 53 miles!!!:heart::heart:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Thursday I dreadmilled 2.5 miles in 35:11 minutes. I was feeling really good about shaving almost 2 minutes off of my time until I realized that I had jogged my cool down lap. Then I still felt really good. Today I did 3.5 miles in 50 minutes.
  • salevy
    Options
    2/14 - 1/2 hour
  • airdiva1
    Options
    Did four miles today.
    It really might have been more, but didn't count but half mile on second part of workout.
    Did 3.5 miles on glider inhouse in the morning.
    This afternoon, went to the National cemetery doing my U.S.C.T. tombstone research and was walking around for over one hour looking for graves, taking photos,etc.
    53 miles + 4 miles = 57 miles!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I did a 3 mile Leslie Sansone walk today,
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Walk 369 minutes for the month!

Total minutes walked for the month 399 minutes. YAY! I did it! I feel good!

Will increase minutes by 10% next month.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the game, but walking is my main activity, as a dodgy knee prevents running, etc. Here are my stats so far:

1 - 3.0
    2 - 4.75
    3 - 2.25
    4 - 3.0
    5 - 0.75
    6 - 3.0
    7 - 0.75
    8 - 4.25
    9 - 5.0
    10 - 5.25
    11 - 1.75
    12 - 4.0
    13 - 4.3
    14 - 3.5
    15 - 4.0
    Total: 49.5
    Average 3.3

To hit 100 for the short month, I need 3.9/day for the rest of the month. I'll take that challenge ... especially since I'll have 6.5+ after tonight's walk.
  • salevy
    Options
    2/16 30 minute walk
  • airdiva1
    Options
    Walked three miles this morning and did three miles late afternoon on equipment.
    Total miles today six miles!
    Because it's going to be in the 50's, going back to walking more outside and working on my bike riding.
    I hope within the next three weeks to start off with one mile of bike riding working up to 10 miles a day.
    6 miles + 57 miles = 63 miles