Losing weight after 40

Options
As I scan through some of the posts, I see there are a lot of people who have the same difficulty as I do. I am 43 and it seems like I can gain 10 pounds just with a simple look at a cookie but it takes all kinds of grueling leaps and bounds and jumping through hoops to lose just 1. Looking for support as I start one more journey toward healthy weight.

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!
  • White103
    Options
    Hi Tcat100,

I am with you there. I am 46 and trying to get 50 pounds off. I really like using myfitnesspal as it keeps me on track and if I want that snack or lunch I really like I can fit it within my plan and not feel cheated. With that said I also work out 25-30 mins a day with Saturdays off. As long as I work out and don't eat the extra cals that states I have been losing 1 to two pounds a week. I have sometimes drag myself out of bed to get my work out in. I make my self do it!

If you want to chat any time I am here..

Cheers
    Alice
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    All I know is, after I turned 40, I had to work twice as hard to maintain my weight. And I never never never had a fat belly, when I was younger. Keeping my belly in shape takes a lot of effort. That's just the hard truth.:laugh:
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and it's not as hard as it seems. Once you start tracking your calories and getting some exercise, the weight will come off. I think our metabolisms do slow down a bit, but the exercise will kick it back in gear!!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!

This. I've lost 50 pounds and they all came off at 50+ with a crappy thyroid. Just do what you know you need to be doing and decide you are in it for the long haul. All the same stuff applies no matter what age you are.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Good luck!

+2

I'm 46 with thyroid & other issues. And down 17 lbs in ~45 days. Open diary, feel free to have a look - no extreme diet/exercise.

ETA: If you haven't already read this MFP classic, it's very encouraging and has everything you need to be off to a great start:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • shellybe327
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs this week - I feel like the scale should say 5 at least! I mean I feel a lot lighter... I don't know - im giving it 30 days - that's a good time frame to really judge if its working....
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Good luck!
    This, exactly! I never really tried losing weight til I was in my 40's and have sucessfully lost almost 30 lbs. I'll be 51 this year and focusing on bf% more than the scales, but it CAN be done. It's too easy to think "Well, I'm older, and I just can't do it...." Yes you can. Stick to it and keep on moving! :flowerforyou:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Good luck!

This 100%!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Couldn't agree more.

Age is just a number. Don't let it be an excuse, too. It's about activity. It isn't any harder to lose weight after 40. The biggest change comes with moving more and making fewer excuses.

There are many, many, many people on this website over 40 who are having tremendous success.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs this week - I feel like the scale should say 5 at least! I mean I feel a lot lighter... I don't know - im giving it 30 days - that's a good time frame to really judge if its working....
    2 lbs is great.
  • tosullivan
    tosullivan Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and it's not as hard as it seems. Once you start tracking your calories and getting some exercise, the weight will come off. I think our metabolisms do slow down a bit, but the exercise will kick it back in gear!!

agree here, just takes some discipline but you get there. this tool is great for helping you

I went off track in the last year and started to creap back on the weight, but back on it now and exercising again and its starting to help
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and have lost 92lbs since Mar-13 and am averaging 1.5-2lbs a week. I'm doing this by eating healthily including weight & measuring everything. I work out 6 times a week (inc 1 strength session) averaging around 40mins a work out. I eat 1900 cals a day and don't feel deprived or hungry as if I fancy something I work it into my cals. I have the occasional cheat day but get back on track the next day (eg yesterday was OH's birthday but this morning I ran 5.5 miles). Age is not an excuse I understand for not losing weight. Its not like we woke up on our 40th birthday and a switch flicked in our bodies which drastically slowed our metabolism. Eat at a calorie deficit, work out regularly and the weight will come off IME.
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Completely agree! Well said!
  • RESCUERABBIT
    Options
    Howdy from Texas! I, too am in the same boat as you. Just recently turned 49 and have decided that I need to look Hot by the time I am 50!! I am at 210 and my goal weight is 170....any encouragement would be appreciated!
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and have lost 92lbs since Mar-13 and am averaging 1.5-2lbs a week. I'm doing this by eating healthily including weight & measuring everything. I work out 6 times a week (inc 1 strength session) averaging around 40mins a work out. I eat 1900 cals a day and don't feel deprived or hungry as if I fancy something I work it into my cals. I have the occasional cheat day but get back on track the next day (eg yesterday was OH's birthday but this morning I ran 5.5 miles). Age is not an excuse I understand for not losing weight. Its not like we woke up on our 40th birthday and a switch flicked in our bodies which drastically slowed our metabolism. Eat at a calorie deficit, work out regularly and the weight will come off IME.

You might want to try two strength session per week. Also, take your measurements!!!!! Often times the scale will not move but your INCHES (cm) will reduce because although a pound is a pound is a pound (I hate it when people say a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat!). A pound of muscle is MORE DENSE than a pound of fat. Therefore your measurements will decrease even though the scale remains the same. Keep working it and it will work! :)
  • blue_beach
    Options
    Hi,

My name is blue beach....I like to go to the beach and the moutains...I am over 50 and I have started my new lifestyle
    of eating in Oct. I lost 45 pounds since then, but I am 250 pounds now, and believe that the only way that I am going
    to continue to lose weight is to track it....I hating filling out forms, and I feel like computing what I eat is like filling out forms
    but I am committed to starting it...I think once you put your foods in it gets easier....thanks for your support...and thank you
    myfitnesspal!:smile:
  • Bekkah1552
    Options
    Hi there!

I completely understand how you feel... it does seem harder to lose than to gain. Just take this a day at a time and the small changes will lead to big results over time :smile:
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

Good luck!

+2

I'm 46 with thyroid & other issues. And down 17 lbs in ~45 days. Open diary, feel free to have a look - no extreme diet/exercise.

ETA: If you haven't already read this MFP classic, it's very encouraging and has everything you need to be off to a great start:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

+3 I will be 50 this month and had thyroid ablation when I was about 35. Make the commitment to yourself to do it and you will.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    All I know is, after I turned 40, I had to work twice as hard to maintain my weight. And I never never never had a fat belly, when I was younger. Keeping my belly in shape takes a lot of effort. That's just the hard truth.:laugh:

Although I'm not sure exactly when it happened, I also find that when I was younger, fat came off my belly first. Now it seems to be the last place.

That being said, weight loss in general has been about the same, just where it comes off fastest has changed.

Edit: "hast" to "has" because although I'm over 40, I don't speak Old English.