Losing weight after 40

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!

^yep.

I am 46 and do not have any more issues losing weight than when I was younger - in fact it is easier as I have more knowledge about how to do it.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!

Exactly.
    Thank you.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    The Venus Factor – Feminine Body Transformation Formula

Warning: Venus Factor, a fitness program specifically designed for women of all ages. The primary focus of this program is not weight loss or burning excess body fat. It is all about getting that magical feminine shape!

visit review site : venusfactorshop.com
    NO.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP when I was 48 - I'm now 50 and have never been as fit, healthy or this size (UK 12) before. You can do it - ping me if you'd like a supportive friend :flowerforyou:
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Me too:glasses:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Meh, I'm 42 and honestly, never better! I have many smoking hot over 40 friends here. You can be anything you wish. And lift heavy. :flowerforyou:
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, and I don't find it any harder to lose weight than when I was younger. What I have found though, is that if I don't watch my diet and exercise levels carefully, I gain a lot easier than I used to. Plus, I gain in different places. Gone are the days when I could willy nilly eat and drink without repercussions.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    The Venus Factor – Feminine Body Transformation Formula

Warning: Venus Factor, a fitness program specifically designed for women of all ages. The primary focus of this program is not weight loss or burning excess body fat. It is all about getting that magical feminine shape!

visit review site : venusfactorshop.com
    NO.

Magical Feminine shape!!!
    You'll be shaped like a UNICORN!!! Oh boy!!!
  • steelreader
    Options
    I know how you feel but as I am now over 40 I'm not giving in !!
    I will and am losing weight and everyone can add me the more friends the easier it is :)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Meh, I'm 42 and honestly, never better! I have many smoking hot over 40 friends here. You can be anything you wish. And lift heavy. :flowerforyou:

Yes you are smoking hot Heather:flowerforyou:
    I'm 46 this month and find it easier now because I take responsibility for my actions (what I put in my mouth) and I'm more mature than I was in my twenties. I'm aspiring to have more discipline this year and have a hard body at 50:flowerforyou:
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    " Just do what you know you need to be doing and decide you are in it for the long haul."

Absolutely what is working for me at 46. I've lost 16 pounds in the last 2 months - much faster and more consistent loss than ever before (even when I was in my 20's). I just had to make the decision that no matter what, I'm in it for as long as it takes.

edited for typos....
  • Chance535
    Chance535 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am also over 40 and would like to lose 50lbs. Feel free to add me.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker about my weight loss

She said that she needed to lose weight too but it was so hard because she was 44 and it was easier for me because I was younger

i replied that I was 42.

That was my much needed ego boost for that day :tongue:

Age is nothing but a number = don't use it as an excuse
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and lost 70 lbs last year. It can be done you just have to want it bad enough to stick with it long term. Thanks to the good advice I received here I incorporated weight training and my daughter insists I look better than ever, even at the same weight I was years ago before letting myself go.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Another vote for this advice. I'm 52 and have lost 50 pounds.

I think when you are older, it often comes down to habits you have formed throughout your life, and changing those habits. For me, I had to learn to pay attention to how much I was eating (thanks MFP), learn and implement information like adding resistance training to retain muscle as I lost fat, eating enough protein and fat, not restricting any food, and not always going by the scale to determine progress (thanks http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs this week - I feel like the scale should say 5 at least! I mean I feel a lot lighter... I don't know - im giving it 30 days - that's a good time frame to really judge if its working....

You lost a couple pounds and more importantly you feel lighter. I'd say it's working really well.

CoffeBugg - love your avatar!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker about my weight loss

She said that she needed to lose weight too but it was so hard because she was 44 and it was easier for me because I was younger

i replied that I was 42.

:heart:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Good luck!

^yep.

I am 46 and do not have any more issues losing weight than when I was younger - in fact it is easier as I have more knowledge about how to do it.
    This, except I'm 44.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and i don't use my age as an excuse in trying to lose weight. Sure, everyone's body is different. and it might take longer to lose the weight, but if you eat somewhat healthy and stay active, then you shouldn't have any issues.