Losing weight after 40

Options

Replies

• chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and lost 70 lbs last year. It can be done you just have to want it bad enough to stick with it long term. Thanks to the good advice I received here I incorporated weight training and my daughter insists I look better than ever, even at the same weight I was years ago before letting myself go.

Yes exactly! That is what I say, you just have to want it bad enough, and you will be amazed what you can do! I didn't start to lose weight until a couple months before I turned 41, and now 100 lbs later, I am so glad I did it. You can do it!!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    It's not metabolism. It's loss of muscle mass. Lifting weights helps and portion control. Digital scale to weigh foods is your best friend.
    Good luck to you.
  • Adam_NeverGiveup
    Adam_NeverGiveup Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think my metabolism is slow regardless of my age (41 ), in saying that , the food I was eating was the main contributor to my weight gain .Not my age

Last year I put on 33kg ( over the whole year ) after losing 30kg at the end of 2012.

Ive cleaned my diet up for over a month now and have added exercise in and Ive lost 10kg . It can be done but it takes hard work and discipline .
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Dunno. A few years ago I could drop 20 pounds pretty easily by training for a running event. But at 46, I trained pretty hard and only lost 10 lbs. Sure seems harder. But there's no magic to it. I just started working a little harder and eating a lot better and now the weight is coming off. Just takes a little more work. Not a ton more.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, and although I expected it to be harder to lose, it really wasn't as long as I stuck to it. I think what is harder is breaking the habit of years of over eating and bad habits, in other words, it's mentally harder for me rather than physical.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP at 46. I found it easy to lose the weight once I started counting calories. So I am not one who has noticed the whole "age" thing. Since I had never tried counting calories until now, it's tough to compare. I can only say that counting calories has been easier than other programs/fad diets I've tried.

When shopping for skirts the other day, I overheard two women in the next stall admitting to buying larger sizes since its "so difficult to lose weight in their 40's!" I kinda chuckled as I was buying a smaller size and am glad I have never used age as an excuse.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and for the past 7-8 years I've struggled with a 25 pound gain. It keeps getting harder and harder to lose and keep it off.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Started at age 45.

In eighteen months:

Weight: down from 230 lbs to 159
    BMI: down from 35.4 to 24.9
    Body fat (guess from pictures): 40%+ to ~20%
    Waist: down from 40 to 33

It's possible, and it's simple. Not so EASY sometimes, but Calorie(in) < Calorie(out) worked.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and have lost 92lbs since Mar-13 and am averaging 1.5-2lbs a week. I'm doing this by eating healthily including weight & measuring everything. I work out 6 times a week (inc 1 strength session) averaging around 40mins a work out. I eat 1900 cals a day and don't feel deprived or hungry as if I fancy something I work it into my cals. I have the occasional cheat day but get back on track the next day (eg yesterday was OH's birthday but this morning I ran 5.5 miles). Age is not an excuse I understand for not losing weight. Its not like we woke up on our 40th birthday and a switch flicked in our bodies which drastically slowed our metabolism. Eat at a calorie deficit, work out regularly and the weight will come off IME.

You might want to try two strength session per week. Also, take your measurements!!!!! Often times the scale will not move but your INCHES (cm) will reduce because although a pound is a pound is a pound (I hate it when people say a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat!). A pound of muscle is MORE DENSE than a pound of fat. Therefore your measurements will decrease even though the scale remains the same. Keep working it and it will work! :)

Inches are reducing as well as the scales dropping - very happy with it all so far! I can't fit in another weights session without ditching my rest day as I'm training for a half marathon (I got out of breath walking up a flight of stairs 10 months ago and now run 15+ miles a week).
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the oldest person to "weigh in" on this thread at 63 and I've lost 100 plus by reducing calories alone. Due to severe arthritis I cannot exercise and while my loss seems to be stalling now, I anticipate the scales will continue to go down eventually. Don't let age stop you from beginning your weight loss efforts, in fact it's even more important than ever.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I see a lot of answers saying activity is the key. Well this 57 year old man says that discipline is the key. Been doing this for about 4 months now and have lost 30 lbs. Took me a few weeks to get the hang of it but now it is a matter of eating under my calorie goal.. I exercise yes BUT for medical reasons (an injury) I haven't exercised in 2 weeks and still lost 3.5 lbs in those last 2 weeks. I was a couch potato until I started this but it is so important to me to get healthy, that I stick with it.. I am disciplined enough to know that just because I can't exercise right now there is No Reason why I should not continue losing weight...
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's not metabolism. It's loss of muscle mass. Lifting weights helps and portion control. Digital scale to weigh foods is your best friend.
    Good luck to you.

Both. It is a slow metabolism caused be inactivity and loss of muscle mass...that makes us gain weight.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50 pounds and am over 40, I hover between 55-60 lost with the goal of losing 75-85 pounds in total. I still have 20-30 to go and expect it will take the rest of this year for sure, possibly longer. The good news is, I am fairly happy with where I am as far as being it LOTS better shape then I was 2 years ago, there is no comparison. The reality regardless of how or when the pounds come off I have no choice but to continue on, because giving up for even small amounts of time piles the weight back on. Thankfully about 18-20 months in I am more in control of weight and food intake where I can just about say it is my lifestyle.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and have lost 52 pounds since July.

It's easy really. Just track what you eat, be honest with yourself, cardio and lifting. Listen to your body when you feel exhausted, but don't use that as an excuse.
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi tcat I am 53 and I lost 106lbs in 11 mths 3 weeks with weight watchers that was nearly 2 1/2yrs ago, so it really can be done at our ages, it is hard work especial maintaining, but it is also really rewarding, and I love clothes shopping now, I used to cry when I went to try and buy something to fit me, now I love trying on clothes. So just hang in there and know you can do it.
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The difference at our age is simply a matter of activity. Yes, there is some general metabolic slow down, but it isn't nearly as severe as people make it out to be.

Calculate a reasonable calorie goal, set your macros so you get enough fat and protein, start a resistance training program, and do some cardio to improve your conditioning and allow you to eat more calories. That's it. It takes the discipline to make the necessary changes and there will be bumps in the road, but if you pick exercise programs that you truly enjoy and stick with them and your calorie goals, then you will be successful.

Good luck!

48 year old serial yo yo dieter here that found losing weight by MFP the easiest in my adult life. I always thought that it would be much harder now I am at that age, but logging every day (today is day 521), being honest with what I eat, keeping on track with calories although allowing myself a treat now and then, and moving just a little bit more - I am not an exercise person - and I managed 5 stone in 18 mths.

Will power is better now I am old enough to realise that if I hadnt lost the weight now, I would HAVE to in a few years time due to the medical issues I was storing up.
  • KeKeRoRo
    Options
    Regardless of what people say, for most, it IS harder to lose weight after the age of 40. I used to be able to eat fairly freely without gaining but not anymore. I can easily gain 5 pounds in a few months now if I don't closely monitor my diet and fitness. It is especially hard for me because I am an older Mom with little ones. As I pull out snacks for them or make them meals (healthy 90% of time) I catch myself grabbing a few bites of what I am making them. Then I later make something for myself. I think all of those calories add up. Plus, I tend to skip workouts because of the kids activities. I have to be super vigilant which is hard to do with all of the distractions of life!! But, with age comes wisdom (at least I hope!! hahaha) and that wisdom tells me I have to put in the work now so that I don't regret poor health later! Keep on keeping on!! We can do it if we put in the work!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and have lost over 20lbs--9 kilos. First thing, don't be in a hurry. You need patience to lose as you get older. I don't care how long it takes me to get to goal, I just want to eventually get there. I've found it to be easier than expected so far and very rewarding--I feel great. I still want to lose 10-15 lbs, and know I will do it. I feel that I'm finally in the drivers seat and have no intention of letting things go ever again. Read the posts, and you'll learn alot and get a few laughs too. I :heart: MFP.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and haven't found it any different despite 30yrs of diet cycles - in fact it's easier now because I have changed my mindset, stopped looking for quick fixes and made a real lifestyle change.

I've been maintaining for a year having lost 28lbs in 6mths eating 1400 cals/day. I'm only 5'2.5 but wanted gentle sustainable loss and not to starve or leave a trail of dead bodies through grumpiness!

The biggest difference has been my change to a can do attitude, I'm embarrassed at how right supporters of this are - do not under estimate the power of the brain monkey in making you fail!

Looking at a cookie doesn't make me gain weight, eating several and lying to myself about it or my activity levels does!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As I scan through some of the posts, I see there are a lot of people who have the same difficulty as I do. I am 43 and it seems like I can gain 10 pounds just with a simple look at a cookie but it takes all kinds of grueling leaps and bounds and jumping through hoops to lose just 1. Looking for support as I start one more journey toward healthy weight.

I'm going to be 40 next month. For me the big difference boils down to regular exercise. Get more active!