Muscle gain from cardio?

Replies

• Ayne6246
    Ayne6246 Posts: 37 Member
    THANK YOU! All I am doing right now is walking (4.5 MPH for 30 min 4 times a day) and no one can tell me I'm not gaining muscle. I see my legs and they are difinitely gaining muscle and losing fat. My scale may not be moving much but I am burning 500-1000kcal/day according to my Flex. There is no way to cheat on that thing.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Thanks for the replies and its pretty much what I thought , I have without doubt gained muscle in my legs so you can build muscle but not 2.5 in a week, let's hope it is water weight and see if I can shift it I still don't 100% understand it tbh do I just drink water to get rid of water?

Yes, drink water. Lots of it, regardless of what your workout consists of. As long as you are exercising, though, you will have water retention to repair muscles. To be honest, I don't know why it matters so much. Focus less on the scale and more on your fitness/strength gains and how you look in the mirror.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    THANK YOU! All I am doing right now is walking (4.5 MPH for 30 min 4 times a day) and no one can tell me I'm not gaining muscle. I see my legs and they are difinitely gaining muscle and losing fat. My scale may not be moving much but I am burning 500-1000kcal/day according to my Flex. There is no way to cheat on that thing.

Good lord, why are you running 4x a day?!?! No doubt that is water weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    The only "cardio" type exercise I know that you can gain muscle from are hill sprints repeats. Quads muscles will gain from these with the proper diet and also give you cardio benefits.

Otherwise, I am unaware of any other that have been successful in both areas.

*Edit to add, you're not going to put 2.5lbs of muscle on in a week. It would be hard to do that for most in a month.
  • BigAndyT
    BigAndyT Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks for the replies and its pretty much what I thought , I have without doubt gained muscle in my legs so you can build muscle but not 2.5 in a week, let's hope it is water weight and see if I can shift it I still don't 100% understand it tbh do I just drink water to get rid of water?

Yes, drink water. Lots of it, regardless of what your workout consists of. As long as you are exercising, though, you will have water retention to repair muscles. To be honest, I don't know why it matters so much. Focus less on the scale and more on your fitness/strength gains and how you look in the mirror.

The reason it matters is cause my goal I is to weigh under 200lbs and I'm soooo close!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member

Your not gaining muscle. There I said, now what is going to happen!? It's like when people say "only god can judge me" no I will judge the crap out of you, you may not care, but I'm gonna do it!

But yeah you need more of test than an eye test. Like people have said most likely you are losing fat from your legs so they look bigger and more defined, and if they are bigger it is probably because they are retaining a butt load of water from doing so many walks a day.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    OK, well if water fluctuations are going to put you over that and upset you, you may need to set your goal a little lower and just have patience. You do realize that you can't point to one number and say "That is what I weigh", right? It's in constant fluctuation throughout the day, by probably 5-7 pounds (maybe more if you're a big dude). Smaller wimminz, maybe 2-4 pounds, bigger dudes, 10 pounds easily.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member

The reason it matters is cause my goal I is to weigh under 200lbs and I'm soooo close!

What methods did you use to detirme that you without a doubt gained muscle in your legs?
  • Fullsterkur_woman

What methods did you use to detirme that you without a doubt gained muscle in your legs?
    I'm sure he has DEXA scans.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    You may be getting better muscle endurance and seeing more definition, but that doesn't equate to building muscle. To build muscle you have to invariably gain mass and that means adding weight. And if walking built muscle, then really there shouldn't be many "unmuscular" people because many people walk everyday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigAndyT
    BigAndyT Posts: 52 Member

Sorry realise I was talking to a expert, wana be helpful instead of sarcastic? I know because I know my body and the change in shape and size of my legs if it isn't muscle then what is it?
  • Fullsterkur_woman

Sorry realise I was talking to a expert, wana be helpful instead of sarcastic? I know because I know my body and the change in shape and size of my legs if it isn't muscle then what is it?
    Oh. I thought I was being helpful, by explaining how you would know that you added muscle to your legs. That's the way I'm doing it. I'm glad that you know your body, and I assume you acquired that knowledge through objective measurement, because I am a scientist. If you measured the circumference of your legs in the same places at the beginning and at the end, and they were bigger at the end, then you seem justified in saying that your legs got bigger at those places. The logical possibilities for what can change the size and shape would be muscle, fat, and water. Since nobody gains 2.5 pounds of muscle in that short of a time frame, and you probably didn't gain that much fat in a week either, it seems a safe bet to say it's water to be used in repairing tissue damaged from exercise.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    You may be getting better muscle endurance and seeing more definition, but that doesn't equate to building muscle. To build muscle you have to invariably gain mass and that means adding weight. And if walking built muscle, then really there shouldn't be many "unmuscular" people because many people walk everyday.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Again, if you have plenty of extra mass to begin with, there's ZERO reason you cannot gain muscle mass while losing fat. None.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

Again, if you have plenty of extra mass to begin with, there's ZERO reason you cannot gain muscle mass while losing fat. None.
    With cardio only?And no progressive overload? You've been watching too much "wrestling" if you believe that.
    While being extremely overweight/obese is an exception to gaining muscle while in deficit, one has to do PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD to achieve it. Walking isn't gonna do it. And even then, the gain is minimal. Sorry, but there's your reason.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Ctrum69
    With cardio only?And no progressive overload? You've been watching too much "wrestling" if you believe that.
    While being extremely overweight/obese is an exception to gaining muscle while in deficit, one has to do PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD to achieve it. Walking isn't gonna do it. And even then, the gain is minimal. Sorry, but there's your reason.

[/quote]

Hmm. What do you consider P90X? or DDPYoga.?

I guess i consider it primarily cardio, though there's a lot of muscle engagement and strength building poses.

and know I get solidly sore muscles after a good workout in DDPYoga.

I don't get sore after a walk at the same HR, for the same duration.
  • ninerbuff

I guess i consider it primarily cardio, though there's a lot of muscle engagement and strength building poses.

Basically all yoga is isometric exercise. Builds strength not mass. P90X isn't a progressive weight lifting programs. "Ripped" people on it look muscular because of loss of body fat.
    Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy happens when muscle is overloaded progressively over time and one is supplying enough energy and macronutrients (specifically protein) to cause hypertrophy to happen. This is ADDING lean weight to the body and usually requires a surplus not a deficit. Surpluses will usually also ADD fat to the body and not reduce it. And it works vice versa. One one is in deficit, fat will be lost along with some muscle (although resistance training helps to reduce the amount lost).
    While an extremely overweight/obese person may build a little muscle in the beginning, it still being done by progressive overload weight lifting and not walking.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Fullsterkur_woman

Basically all yoga is isometric exercise. Builds strength not mass. P90X isn't a progressive weight lifting programs. "Ripped" people on it look muscular because of loss of body fat.
    Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy happens when muscle is overloaded progressively over time and one is supplying enough energy and macronutrients (specifically protein) to cause hypertrophy to happen. This is ADDING lean weight to the body and usually requires a surplus not a deficit. Surpluses will usually also ADD fat to the body and not reduce it. And it works vice versa. One one is in deficit, fat will be lost along with some muscle (although resistance training helps to reduce the amount lost).
    While an extremely overweight/obese person may build a little muscle in the beginning, it still being done by progressive overload weight lifting and not walking.

IDEA Fitness member
    Do you have any sources for scientific analysis of *why* the body will not add new muscle in a deficit, using stored body fat for the energy required, when challenged with progressive overload stimulus?

I intuitively see how that would be evolutionarily disadvantageous, I'm just curious about the actual biochemical mechanisms.
  • Ctrum69

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

I gather you are drawing a distinction between isometric and walking, and that's fine.

I'm just curious as to why you think isometric won't build muscle. I agree it won't build it AS FAST as resistance training, but I cannot for the life of me see why it wouldn't build it at all, especially dynamic resistance style, where you are, effectively, upping the resistance by getting stronger progressively.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member
    Do you have any sources for scientific analysis of *why* the body will not add new muscle in a deficit, using stored body fat for the energy required, when challenged with progressive overload stimulus?

I intuitively see how that would be evolutionarily disadvantageous, I'm just curious about the actual biochemical mechanisms.
    Here's a couple of reasons why:
    Calorie deficit is CATABOLIC. One can't be anabolic (for muscle building) and catabolic at the same time.

Calorie deficit also impairs protein synthesis which has to be optimal for muscle hypertrophy to occur.

There's information on this out there, I just don't have an abstract to link to you right now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    I gather you are drawing a distinction between isometric and walking, and that's fine.

I'm just curious as to why you think isometric won't build muscle. I agree it won't build it AS FAST as resistance training, but I cannot for the life of me see why it wouldn't build it at all, especially dynamic resistance style, where you are, effectively, upping the resistance by getting stronger progressively.
    There are 2 types of hypertrophy...sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar. Strength training (yoga, powerlifting, isometric) works by improving the strength of the muscle without necessarily increasing it's size (myofibrillar). Being able to hold a plank longer and longer isn't going to increase arm size, chest size or back size because the contraction doesn't allow for lengthening of the muscles in either direction.
    The "pump" is what is needed to help break down muscle fibers for rebuilding as well as challenging concentric and eccentric contractions (sarcoplasmic).

IDEA Fitness member