Muscle gain from cardio?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is one I find confusing. I mean, I didn't measure my legs before I started running, so I can't say for sure. But it sure does look to me like my calves got a lot bigger. I'm sure there was some fat in my legs - I guess - but they were never the "fatty" part of me. But I've read this so many times I'm just not sure. Maybe everything just toned up. I know my legs look a lot stronger, and I can do things I couldn't do with them before I ran. It just seems like there has to be more muscle there.

But when I read what the lifters say, they have to eat a surplus to gain weight. Makes sense, since losing weight works exactly the other way. That muscle has to get built out of something. So I can see how it wouldn't be possible to build muscle without eating more. But this is confusing.

I started working out with a personal trainer at the beginning of the year. My wife and I both think my arms look bigger from all the work. And I know I can do more push ups now. But I've lost 15 lbs. So on the one hand, I see what I think is more muscle and can feel the result. But my brain also kinda says that can't be right. The theory is easy to understand, but in practice, it is kind of confusing. It just seems like if I did push ups every day and did more and more of them my arms and chest would have to build muscle even if I was eating at a deficit. That can never happen? Your body never burns fat to build muscles that are being used more?

Not while in a calorie deficit. What you might be experiencing is a 'pump' of the muscles. If you do push ups every day they are going to 'look' bigger because of the increased vascularity and fluid that results in a temporary pump. If you stopped doing them for a few days, chances are they would go way down.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I've been goin to the gym since the start of the year and my diary has been solid almost always under my goal yet I've put on the last 2 weeks? I know I'm gaining muscle but how much muscle can you gain from just doing cardio and nothing but cardio? Enough to put 2.5 lb in a week?

You might have some minimal " new-to-gym-and -working-out-hard " gain, but they would be much , much less than 2.5 pounds a week and by now would also have levelled out. It is impossible to gain muscle while eating on a deficit the natural way. Maybe you are retaining water because you are new to heavy exercise, or you actually eat more than you are aware of......or a mic of both. Water retention will disappear with time and if it is more calories in than you think, you need to check yourself and adjust how much you eat.
    Good Luck !
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I've been goin to the gym since the start of the year and my diary has been solid almost always under my goal yet I've put on the last 2 weeks? I know I'm gaining muscle but how much muscle can you gain from just doing cardio and nothing but cardio? Enough to put 2.5 lb in a week?
    You don't gain muscle from cardio. It's a catabolic process and building muscle is done on an anabolic process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

bump
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You don't gain muscle from cardio. It's a catabolic process and building muscle is done on an anabolic process.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

bump

Cardio is only going to be catabolic if you don't have sufficient energy to sustain it. Eat carbs and protein before your cardio, and there's no reason whatsoever for it to be a catabolic process.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

bump

Cardio is only going to be catabolic if you don't have sufficient energy to sustain it. Eat carbs and protein before your cardio, and there's no reason whatsoever for it to be a catabolic process.

That may reduce the catabolic process but certainly won't make it anabolic.
  • Ctrum69
    Options
    Why on earth not? Catabolic (in terms of muscles) means your body is breaking down the muscle to digest it. You see long term effects of this in people on extremely low calorie diets (severe anorexia and bulemia), or in extreme cases of muscle atrophy (coma patient).

If you can show me the science as to why cardio should be catabolic, if you are timing your workout to your food intake, even in "a caloric deficit", I'd love to see it, as I have not been able to find it.

There's simply no good reason for your body to digest muscle, if you have adequate dietary intake of protein and available fuel at the time of the workout.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

bump

Well, here's a link to an article on 70s Big: http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/11/how-extended-cardio-will-inhibit-your.html
    It's not exactly what you're talking about, but it does explain why long, steady-state cardio is catabolic. HIIT, such as Tabata protocol, will not be catabolic. There are references in that article that may lead to what you're looking for.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Why on earth not? Catabolic (in terms of muscles) means your body is breaking down the muscle to digest it. You see long term effects of this in people on extremely low calorie diets (severe anorexia and bulemia), or in extreme cases of muscle atrophy (coma patient).

If you can show me the science as to why cardio should be catabolic, if you are timing your workout to your food intake, even in "a caloric deficit", I'd love to see it, as I have not been able to find it.

There's simply no good reason for your body to digest muscle, if you have adequate dietary intake of protein and available fuel at the time of the workout.
    I'd be careful about making such sweeping categorical statements. Cortisol production is a very good reason.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

No, it's still a catabolic state. You mitigate muscle catabolism by giving the body preferential energy sources to catabolize but you can't change the metabolic pathways to something else. It's still catabolic.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! All I am doing right now is walking (4.5 MPH for 30 min 4 times a day) and no one can tell me I'm not gaining muscle. I see my legs and they are difinitely gaining muscle and losing fat. My scale may not be moving much but I am burning 500-1000kcal/day according to my Flex. There is no way to cheat on that thing.
    You may be getting better muscle endurance and seeing more definition, but that doesn't equate to building muscle. To build muscle you have to invariably gain mass and that means adding weight. And if walking built muscle, then really there shouldn't be many "unmuscular" people because many people walk everyday.

IDEA Fitness member

Again, if you have plenty of extra mass to begin with, there's ZERO reason you cannot gain muscle mass while losing fat. None.
    With cardio only?And no progressive overload? You've been watching too much "wrestling" if you believe that.
    While being extremely overweight/obese is an exception to gaining muscle while in deficit, one has to do PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD to achieve it. Walking isn't gonna do it. And even then, the gain is minimal. Sorry, but there's your reason.

IDEA Fitness member

Just curious...

Can you achieve progressive overload through cardio at least for a while by increasing the intensity of cardio. Let's say...if during your walks you start climbing stairs...or climbing hills.

Also...what happens to the progressive overload when one has reached his limit on increasing his lifting weight. Will his muscles acclimate to that weight and just stay there...

Hopefully I asked this question clearly...not sure that I know exactly how to ask it.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

bump

Well, here's a link to an article on 70s Big: http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/11/how-extended-cardio-will-inhibit-your.html
    It's not exactly what you're talking about, but it does explain why long, steady-state cardio is catabolic. HIIT, such as Tabata protocol, will not be catabolic. There are references in that article that may lead to what you're looking for.

Okay.. just read the first cited study (and it would be nice if they'd footnote, so I knew what they were claiming the study said that they are repeating in the article, plus "cracked" style articles are amateur and annoying), and it only says that SIT can be just as effective as ET, but can be accomplished in less time.

I'll keep reading, but so far, nothing that supports the suggestion that ET is any more catabolic than SIT.

edit: Read all three abstracts, and one report in full.

None of them address muscle gain or catabolysis.. all merely address that HIIT (or SIT), can produce gains similar to ET, or long steady state, in much less time.

This is the problem with non-footnoted opinion pieces. Yes, the overall statement, "hiit can do you just as well as long duration steady state" is clearly shown in the studies.. but things tossed in like "and long duration cardio is catabolic" are completely unsourced. They also compare a marathon runner to a sprinter (who is also a known drug cheat), and say "which would you rather look like"? Seriously? That's not science.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

No, it's still a catabolic state. You mitigate muscle catabolism by giving the body preferential energy sources to catabolize but you can't change the metabolic pathways to something else. It's still catabolic.

Right. Digestion is catabolic. Put a salad in your stomach, and your body uses a catabolic process to break it down into food.

Your body also uses an anabolic process to store it as fat.

And it uses an anabolic process to build muscle.

The question I have, is WHY would your body, when presented with adequate fuel in the form of carbs and protein in your system, at the time of the workout and shortly after, catabolize MUSCLE when it has no reason to do so?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    THANK YOU! All I am doing right now is walking (4.5 MPH for 30 min 4 times a day) and no one can tell me I'm not gaining muscle. I see my legs and they are difinitely gaining muscle and losing fat. My scale may not be moving much but I am burning 500-1000kcal/day according to my Flex. There is no way to cheat on that thing.
    You may be getting better muscle endurance and seeing more definition, but that doesn't equate to building muscle. To build muscle you have to invariably gain mass and that means adding weight. And if walking built muscle, then really there shouldn't be many "unmuscular" people because many people walk everyday.

IDEA Fitness member

Again, if you have plenty of extra mass to begin with, there's ZERO reason you cannot gain muscle mass while losing fat. None.
    With cardio only?And no progressive overload? You've been watching too much "wrestling" if you believe that.
    While being extremely overweight/obese is an exception to gaining muscle while in deficit, one has to do PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD to achieve it. Walking isn't gonna do it. And even then, the gain is minimal. Sorry, but there's your reason.

IDEA Fitness member

Just curious...

Can you achieve progressive overload through cardio at least for a while by increasing the intensity of cardio. Let's say...if during your walks you start climbing stairs...or climbing hills.

Also...what happens to the progressive overload when one has reached his limit on increasing his lifting weight. Will his muscles acclimate to that weight and just stay there...

Hopefully I asked this question clearly...not sure that I know exactly how to ask it.

Yeah, you can and that's a great idea. Progressive overload should be a part of all exercise programs and adding resistance (like stairs or hills) is a great way to do it.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Right. Digestion is catabolic. Put a salad in your stomach, and your body uses a catabolic process to break it down into food.

The question I have, is WHY would your body, when presented with adequate fuel in the form of carbs and protein in your system, at the time of the workout and shortly after, catabolize MUSCLE when it has no reason to do so?

If you're in a caloric deficit you're always going to catabolize some muscle. There's no way to mitigate it 100%.

If you're at maintenance or a surplus and you fuel before endurance cardio and intake more glycogen before you hit glycogen depletion there's minimal muscle catabolism. I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. It's never going to be anabolic during SS cardio no matter how you fuel.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

If you're in a caloric deficit you're always going to catabolize some muscle. There's no way to mitigate it 100%.

If you're at maintenance or a surplus and you fuel before endurance cardio and intake more glycogen before you hit glycogen depletion there's minimal muscle catabolism. I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. It's never going to be anabolic during SS cardio no matter how you fuel.

Bluntly, THE SCIENCE SHOW ME IT. A link to another thread on this forum saying the same thing is not science. A link to a weighlifting forum somewhere else is not science. Repeating the same thing over and over and saying "Everyone knows' is not science.

"everyone knows" you should drink 8 glasses of water a day. "everyone knows" you get sore because of lactic acid buildup. "everyone knows" that sugar will make you fat. All opinions, none based whatsoever in science.

Please, show me the study that addresses muscle catabolism during exercise on a reasonable caloric deficit, but eating proper nutrition. I'd LOVE to see it.

I've already been shown three footnotes which don't even address it, but I read em!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Bluntly, THE SCIENCE SHOW ME IT. A link to another thread on this forum saying the same thing is not science. A link to a weighlifting forum somewhere else is not science. Repeating the same thing over and over and saying "Everyone knows' is not science.

"everyone knows" you should drink 8 glasses of water a day. "everyone knows" you get sore because of lactic acid buildup. "everyone knows" that sugar will make you fat. All opinions, none based whatsoever in science.

Please, show me the study that addresses muscle catabolism during exercise on a reasonable caloric deficit, but eating proper nutrition. I'd LOVE to see it.

I've already been shown three footnotes which don't even address it, but I read em!

What I just explained is in every exercise physiology textbook that exists. Go look it up yourself. Since you're proposing a hypothesis that's outside the box of standard knowledge, how about you provide any research that supports your theory.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

I'd be careful about making such sweeping categorical statements. Cortisol production is a very good reason.

Cortisol is going to be released, whether you are under or over on your dietary calories. Endurance training also helps to delay cortisol thresholds.

And weight training releases more cortisol than aerobic training anyway.

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/cortisol.html
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Just curious...

Yeah, you can and that's a great idea. Progressive overload should be a part of all exercise programs and adding resistance (like stairs or hills) is a great way to do it.

Thanks for responding. At my age I am more concerned with keeping and strengthening the muscles that I have...as soon as I can find them underneath the fat!

I do cardio and some strength training and try to keep challenging myself as I progress. I am limited as to what I can do however due to an injury that fairly well destroyed any core muscles that I have.

If I can ask one more question...

I change my routine up fairly often(I get bored easily). As I progress and am able to do more I try to add to it even if it is just something small. Is this what I should be doing. For example...I can do squats...I started with no weight and today I added 8lb dumbbells.

I have done a lot of research but there is not much out there for people that have no core muscles left. When they say tighten up your core...I just kind of laugh...and then do the best that I can.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Just curious...

Thanks for responding. At my age I am more concerned with keeping and strengthening the muscles that I have...as soon as I can find them underneath the fat!

I do cardio and some strength training and try to keep challenging myself as I progress. I am limited as to what I can do however due to an injury that fairly well destroyed any core muscles that I have.

I change my routine up fairly often(I get bored easily). As I progress and am able to do more I try to add to it even if it is just something small. Is this what I should be doing. For example...I can do squats...I started with no weight and today I added 8lb dumbbells.

I have done a lot of research but there is not much out there for people that have no core muscles left. When they say tighten up your core...I just kind of laugh...and then do the best that I can.

Yes you are on exactly the right track. When something gets easy, make it harder- exactly like you're doing and that's how to make your program effective.

You must have some core muscles! If you're able to do squats, for example, your core muscles are stabilizing your body. When you're walking, as you move all 4 limbs back and forth, the core muscles stabilize and counterbalance the movement. It sounds like you're on the right track- keep trying to make it a little harder each time. If it's walking, add hills or stairs, or try to do the same course a little faster than before. Don't get discouraged if you don't succeed every time, it's about trying.
  • Ctrum69
    Options

THis guy has not picked up a weight in over 8 years.

Huge? No. WEll built with good definition? IMHO, yes.

http://www.alternativecomplementarymedicine.com/wp-content/uploads/ddp-yoga31-620x350.jpg