Chicken Yakisoba (diet and budget friendly)

Options

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that recipe on Budget Bytes.

Yep!
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    Thanks. I took chicken out last night and this might be a great recipe. The only ingredient I don't have is the a Ramen noodles, but I bought a spiral vegetable slicer over the holidays. I will make my own noodles out of Zuchinni.

Good luck. If you like a more expensive noodle, try udon.

You don't make yakisoba out of udon.

:noway:

ETA: Soba noodles are totally different than udon noodles. You don't use udon noodles to make fried noodles. And Yaki = fried.

I'm still wrapping my head around this type of ramen noodles being used for yakisoba because the ramen noodles you actually use are very different from the package ones.

Not that this doesn't sound good..but it's iffy ramen with extra stuff in it. Aside from the actual lack of real ramen noodles in here and the crisping of the noodles, there is an actual sauce for yakisoba...and this isn't it. Especially bbq sauce? *cringes*

I have never heard of or eaten Yakisoba... but totally dig your throwing down the knowledge here. Danke.

It's a budget recipe and a healthy recipe so a lot of things have been changed to lower cals, fat and price. It's a recipe, not the Bible. You don't have to stick to it exactly.
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    I used to make something similar, but with a different sauce - I've got to give this one a go! Thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, chicken isn't cheap here. Noodles used to be really cheap but have gone up in price.

you know what's cheaper than noodles?....tortillas. I'm gonna make mine with that.

Tortillas aren't cheaper then ramen noodles. At $0.29 a package, they're about the che4apest food out there I think :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I took chicken out last night and this might be a great recipe. The only ingredient I don't have is the a Ramen noodles, but I bought a spiral vegetable slicer over the holidays. I will make my own noodles out of Zuchinni.

ETA: Soba noodles are totally different than udon noodles. You don't use udon noodles to make fried noodles. And Yaki = fried.

I'm still wrapping my head around this type of ramen noodles being used for yakisoba because the ramen noodles you actually use are very different from the package ones.

Not that this doesn't sound good..but it's iffy ramen with extra stuff in it. Aside from the actual lack of real ramen noodles in here and the crisping of the noodles, there is an actual sauce for yakisoba...and this isn't it. Especially bbq sauce? *cringes*

I have never heard of or eaten Yakisoba... but totally dig your throwing down the knowledge here. Danke.

It's a budget recipe and a healthy recipe so a lot of things have been changed to lower cals, fat and price. It's a recipe, not the Bible. You don't have to stick to it exactly.

Sorry, please tell me what is unhealthy about yakisoba?

The amount of calories in a food does not define whether something is unhealthy or not. Also, yakisoba can be relatively inexpensive (not to mention easy to make) and fat is not the enemy.
  • sillyvalentine
    Options

The amount of calories in a food does not define whether something is unhealthy or not. Also, yakisoba can be relatively inexpensive (not to mention easy to make) and fat is not the enemy.

For some people it is. Look, I can tell you want to argue just to argue. I don't know if it's your TOM or if you're just having a bad day but relax. It's just a recipe. If you don't like it, don't make it. Simple as that. Have a nice day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

For some people it is. Look, I can tell you want to argue just to argue. I don't know if it's your TOM or if you're just having a bad day but relax. It's just a recipe. If you don't like it, don't make it. Simple as that. Have a nice day.

Wow. That's rather insulting OP. And I'm sorry you are unable to handle a discussion about a recipe you posted that you didn't even bother to site the source from. No, not on my period and just saying that although this is a nice budget ramen bowl, it's not yakisoba. Didn't mean to try to educate you..my bad.

But for any lurkers, here's a link to a type of yakisoba that is easy to make. It's $4. If you have an asian store nearby, it'll probably be closer to $2-$3 and way better than trying to use cheap ramen to make some weird faux-yakisoba dish.

http://www.marukaiestore.com/p-9042-maruchan-fresh-shio-yakisoba-3p.aspx
  • sillyvalentine
    Options

Wow. That's rather insulting OP. And I'm sorry you are unable to handle a discussion about a recipe you posted that you didn't even bother to site the source from. No, not on my period and just saying that although this is a nice budget ramen bowl, it's not yakisoba. Didn't mean to try to educate you..my bad.

But for any lurkers, here's a link to a type of yakisoba that is easy to make. It's $4. If you have an asian store nearby, it'll probably be closer to $2-$3 and way better than trying to use cheap ramen to make some weird faux-yakisoba dish.

It's not a discussion. It's your way or the highway and it's rather annoying now. Why would I bother citing a source for a recipe? No one owns it. No one cares where it comes from. If they want to make it, they will make it. Anyway, please calm down and stop derailing this recipe into your drama post. Thanks.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    youmad.jpg

I vote PikaKnight is the winner of this battle!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    hqdefault.jpg
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    hqdefault.jpg

You know what's not yakisoba? This recipe.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    PS OP on the site (Budget Bytes) you ripped this from, THIS appears:

© This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial 3.0 Unported License. • Site design by Emily White Designs

About that Attribution-Non Commerical License:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

Link to website this recipe was stolen from: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/chicken-yakisoba/
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

It's not a discussion. It's your way or the highway and it's rather annoying now. Why would I bother citing a source for a recipe? No one owns it. No one cares where it comes from. If they want to make it, they will make it. Anyway, please calm down and stop derailing this recipe into your drama post. Thanks.

oprah.gif
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you-just-got-owned-umad-4046_preview.png
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I make the kinda the same thing but all I do is make the Ramen noodles and add a can of chicken and a can of mixed vegetables*. It's even MORE budget and diet friendly.

*recipe attributed to all the moms in the trailer park where I grew up.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I make the kinda the same thing but all I do is make the Ramen noodles and add a can of chicken and a can of mixed vegetables*. It's even MORE budget and diet friendly.

I love you.
  • Mother_Superior
    Options

I love you.

Oh you....
    tumblr_ma08oyMorm1rcngc0o1_500.gif

*whispers* I love you too....:flowerforyou:
  • Rosepower
    Rosepower Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I kinda do this sometimes when I'm in a hurry... only with lightly browned finely diced beef and frozen mixed vegetables. The kids like Ramen and I feel like this makes it a little more acceptable.
  • Mother_Superior
    Options

I kinda do this sometimes when I'm in a hurry... only with lightly browned finely diced beef and frozen mixed vegetables. The kids like Ramen and I feel like this makes it a little more acceptable.

Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I like this thread.