Chicken Yakisoba (diet and budget friendly)

Options
sillyvalentine
sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
2r2lq15.jpg

Ingredients
½ head green cabbage
1 medium yellow onion
2 medium carrots
1 small crown broccoli
2 tbsps fresh ginger
2 large chicken breast
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 (3 oz.) packages ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp bbq sauce

Instructions
1.Before you begin, prepare the meat and vegetables for stir frying. Peel the ginger with either a vegetable peeler or the side of a spoon and then grate it with a cheese grater. Peel and grate the carrots with a large holed cheese grater. Remove the core from the cabbage and cut into thin strips. Slice the onion into thin strips. Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Slice the chicken into thin strips.
2.Begin boiling a medium pot full of water for the noodles. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ginger, saute for about 30 seconds to one minute (its okay if it sticks to the pan but don’t let it burn). Add the chicken strips and cook until they are no longer pink (about five minutes).
3.Once the chicken is cooked through, add all of the vegetables. Stir and cook until wilted (about 5-10 minutes). Meanwhile, once the water boils, add the noodles and cook just until tender (2-3 minutes). Drain, return to the pot (with the heat turned off) and toss with the sesame oil to keep from sticking.
4.In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and bbq sauce. Pour the sauce into the skillet with the chicken and vegetables with the heat still on medium high. Add the noodles, stir to coat everything in the sauce, and heat through (just a few minutes).

Nutritional Info: Serves 4.

Per Serving: Cals 358 Carbs 38 Fat 7 Protein 33

MFP Staff Edit: This recipe is from budgetbytes.com and may be viewed at: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/chicken-yakisoba/

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Looks delicious :)
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    bump
  • cbroadberry
    cbroadberry Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That looks and sounds amazing! Thanks!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I used to make something similar, but with a different sauce - I've got to give this one a go! Thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, chicken isn't cheap here. Noodles used to be really cheap but have gone up in price.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    looks great ill give it a try tonight thanks,
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I took chicken out last night and this might be a great recipe. The only ingredient I don't have is the a Ramen noodles, but I bought a spiral vegetable slicer over the holidays. I will make my own noodles out of Zuchinni.
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    I used to make something similar, but with a different sauce - I've got to give this one a go! Thank you for posting.

Unfortunately, chicken isn't cheap here. Noodles used to be really cheap but have gone up in price.

I'm sure that Ramen noodles are under $0.50 everywhere.
  • sillyvalentine
    Options
    Thanks. I took chicken out last night and this might be a great recipe. The only ingredient I don't have is the a Ramen noodles, but I bought a spiral vegetable slicer over the holidays. I will make my own noodles out of Zuchinni.

Good luck. If you like a more expensive noodle, try udon.
  • Kezza220
    Kezza220 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To save time I use the fresh coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage/carrot), makes this super quick!
  • beccalabgal
    beccalabgal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You don't make yakisoba out of udon.

:noway:

ETA: Soba noodles are totally different than udon noodles. You don't use udon noodles to make fried noodles. And Yaki = fried.

I'm still wrapping my head around this type of ramen noodles being used for yakisoba because the ramen noodles you actually use are very different from the package ones.

Not that this doesn't sound good..but it's iffy ramen with extra stuff in it. Aside from the actual lack of real ramen noodles in here and the crisping of the noodles, there is an actual sauce for yakisoba...and this isn't it. Especially bbq sauce? *cringes*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

you know what's cheaper than noodles?....tortillas. I'm gonna make mine with that.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Another unattributed recipe and picture? Shocking
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    As someone who actually really enjoys yakisoba I think I'm offended.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

You don't make yakisoba out of udon.

:noway:

ETA: Soba noodles are totally different than udon noodles. You don't use udon noodles to make fried noodles. And Yaki = fried.

I'm still wrapping my head around this type of ramen noodles being used for yakisoba because the ramen noodles you actually use are very different from the package ones.

Not that this doesn't sound good..but it's iffy ramen with extra stuff in it. Aside from the actual lack of real ramen noodles in here and the crisping of the noodles, there is an actual sauce for yakisoba...and this isn't it. Especially bbq sauce? *cringes*

I have never heard of or eaten Yakisoba... but totally dig your throwing down the knowledge here. Danke.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that recipe on Budget Bytes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    As someone who actually really enjoys yakisoba I think I'm offended.

Why? Does it sound....yaki?