Chicken Yakisoba (diet and budget friendly)

Options

Replies

• DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I make the kinda the same thing but all I do is make the Ramen noodles and add a can of chicken and a can of mixed vegetables*. It's even MORE budget and diet friendly.

*recipe attributed to all the moms in the trailer park where I grew up.

What kind of sauce do you add to it ?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I make the kinda the same thing but all I do is make the Ramen noodles and add a can of chicken and a can of mixed vegetables*. It's even MORE budget and diet friendly.

We had a sauce drawer with leftover packets of different stuff from different places. It really just depended on what was in there at the time. A1, Arby's horsey sauce, and 2 year old mustard was my favorite. *nods* true story
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    bump
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

We had a sauce drawer with leftover packets of different stuff from different places. It really just depended on what was in there at the time. A1, Arby's horsey sauce, and 2 year old mustard was my favorite. *nods* true story

Mine was sweet and sour from mcdonald's.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I like this thread.

Like it? I love it!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that recipe on Budget Bytes.

You did. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/chicken-yakisoba/

The site owner has just released a cook book too. I think it's out today or tomorrow.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Oh ok I will attempt your version def looks cheaper and I have a1 , duck sauce packets from Chinese spot lol
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that recipe on Budget Bytes.

...except her recipe doesn't use BBQ sauce.

OP, if you're going to copy a recipe word-for-word from another site, 1 - copy it exactly and 2 - LINK UP!!!

For anyone who is interested: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/chicken-yakisoba/
    PS OP on the site (Budget Bytes) you ripped this from, THIS appears:

© This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial 3.0 Unported License. • Site design by Emily White Designs

About that Attribution-Non Commerical License:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

Link to website this recipe was stolen from: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/chicken-yakisoba/

Thank you thank you thank youuuu for getting that peoples' recipes ARE copyrighted!
    It's not a discussion. It's your way or the highway and it's rather annoying now. Why would I bother citing a source for a recipe? No one owns it. No one cares where it comes from. If they want to make it, they will make it. Anyway, please calm down and stop derailing this recipe into your drama post. Thanks.

Why would you "bother"? Because someone took the time to
    1 - come up with the recipe (or modify another person's, as is the case with Beth's yakisoba recipe here)
    2 - took the time to blog about it (including make multiple attempts at the recipe to get it just right, write up an ENTIRE blog post about it, and take AMAZING pictures of the final product (which, BTW you also STOLE and hosted yourself on tinypic.com)),
    and 3 - because of the info in the quote above that SAYS it is copyrighted.

Sorry for getting fired up. Ugh.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I took chicken out last night and this might be a great recipe. The only ingredient I don't have is the a Ramen noodles, but I bought a spiral vegetable slicer over the holidays. I will make my own noodles out of Zuchinni.

Good luck. If you like a more expensive noodle, try udon.

You don't make yakisoba out of udon.

:noway:

ETA: Soba noodles are totally different than udon noodles. You don't use udon noodles to make fried noodles. And Yaki = fried.

I'm still wrapping my head around this type of ramen noodles being used for yakisoba because the ramen noodles you actually use are very different from the package ones.

Not that this doesn't sound good..but it's iffy ramen with extra stuff in it. Aside from the actual lack of real ramen noodles in here and the crisping of the noodles, there is an actual sauce for yakisoba...and this isn't it. Especially bbq sauce? *cringes*

I have never heard of or eaten Yakisoba... but totally dig your throwing down the knowledge here. Danke.

It's a budget recipe and a healthy recipe so a lot of things have been changed to lower cals, fat and price. It's a recipe, not the Bible. You don't have to stick to it exactly.

Sorry, please tell me what is unhealthy about yakisoba?

The amount of calories in a food does not define whether something is unhealthy or not. Also, yakisoba can be relatively inexpensive (not to mention easy to make) and fat is not the enemy.

For some people it is. Look, I can tell you want to argue just to argue. I don't know if it's your TOM or if you're just having a bad day but relax. It's just a recipe. If you don't like it, don't make it. Simple as that. Have a nice day.

Wow. That's rather insulting OP. And I'm sorry you are unable to handle a discussion about a recipe you posted that you didn't even bother to site the source from. No, not on my period and just saying that although this is a nice budget ramen bowl, it's not yakisoba. Didn't mean to try to educate you..my bad.

But for any lurkers, here's a link to a type of yakisoba that is easy to make. It's $4. If you have an asian store nearby, it'll probably be closer to $2-$3 and way better than trying to use cheap ramen to make some weird faux-yakisoba dish.

http://www.marukaiestore.com/p-9042-maruchan-fresh-shio-yakisoba-3p.aspx

It's not a discussion. It's your way or the highway and it's rather annoying now. Why would I bother citing a source for a recipe? No one owns it. No one cares where it comes from. If they want to make it, they will make it. Anyway, please calm down and stop derailing this recipe into your drama post. Thanks.

Someone does own it because they created it.

You have apparently never made anything worthwhile in your life. Otherwise you would understand.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    this thread just keeps getting better and better!! xD

Copyright infringement is a real crime. Hopefully no one contacts the creators of the site you stole this information from or you may be getting into some Shizzzz :noway:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Copyright infringement is a real crime. Hopefully no one contacts the creators of the site you stole this information from or you may be getting into some Shizzzz :noway:

*Clicks send on email to budget bytes*

Wait. What're we talking about?
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

*Clicks send on email to budget bytes*

Wait. What're we talking about?

LOL. wouldn't actually surprise me if someone on here hasn't done it already :laugh:
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    this looks delicious. I can't wait to try it, thanks!!!
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    Yum!
  • Sheri3851
    Sheri3851 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ryah1269
    Options
    Um, regular ramen noodles are full of yuk. I would definitely use a miracle noodle or miracle rice so there isn't a lot of fat and carbs from the noodle.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Thanks. I took chicken out last night and this might be a great recipe. The only ingredient I don't have is the a Ramen noodles, but I bought a spiral vegetable slicer over the holidays. I will make my own noodles out of Zuchinni.

Good luck. If you like a more expensive noodle, try udon.

You don't make yakisoba out of udon.

:noway:

ETA: Soba noodles are totally different than udon noodles. You don't use udon noodles to make fried noodles. And Yaki = fried.

I'm still wrapping my head around this type of ramen noodles being used for yakisoba because the ramen noodles you actually use are very different from the package ones.

Not that this doesn't sound good..but it's iffy ramen with extra stuff in it. Aside from the actual lack of real ramen noodles in here and the crisping of the noodles, there is an actual sauce for yakisoba...and this isn't it. Especially bbq sauce? *cringes*

I have never heard of or eaten Yakisoba... but totally dig your throwing down the knowledge here. Danke.

It's a budget recipe and a healthy recipe so a lot of things have been changed to lower cals, fat and price. It's a recipe, not the Bible. You don't have to stick to it exactly.

Sorry, please tell me what is unhealthy about yakisoba?

The amount of calories in a food does not define whether something is unhealthy or not. Also, yakisoba can be relatively inexpensive (not to mention easy to make) and fat is not the enemy.

For some people it is. Look, I can tell you want to argue just to argue. I don't know if it's your TOM or if you're just having a bad day but relax. It's just a recipe. If you don't like it, don't make it. Simple as that. Have a nice day.

Wow. That's rather insulting OP. And I'm sorry you are unable to handle a discussion about a recipe you posted that you didn't even bother to site the source from. No, not on my period and just saying that although this is a nice budget ramen bowl, it's not yakisoba. Didn't mean to try to educate you..my bad.

But for any lurkers, here's a link to a type of yakisoba that is easy to make. It's $4. If you have an asian store nearby, it'll probably be closer to $2-$3 and way better than trying to use cheap ramen to make some weird faux-yakisoba dish.

http://www.marukaiestore.com/p-9042-maruchan-fresh-shio-yakisoba-3p.aspx

Someone does own it because they created it.

You have apparently never made anything worthwhile in your life. Otherwise you would understand.

Your words fell on deaf ears: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/864332-crock-pot-slow-cooker-recipes?page=20

http://kim-thislittlelifeofmine.blogspot.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-garlic-brown-sugar-chicken.html
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Um, regular ramen noodles are full of yuk. I would definitely use a miracle noodle or miracle rice so there isn't a lot of fat and carbs from the noodle.

I agree. A lot of sodium too. It's very hard to stop eating them (because they are cheap and delicious!), but ramen noodles are in the enemy category. I'd also try to cut back on the soy sauce a bit. If there are about 4 servings here, then that's at least 26 percent of daily sodium allowed per serving. I say, try it with spagetti squash and see how it turns out. Also, the squash shouldn't soak up so much sauce, so maybe you can cut down the soy sauce. If not, serve if over rice and call it a stir fry.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Some of us don't have issues with carbs or fat and have no interest in non-noodle noodles. Just saying.

It isn't Yakisoba is you use 'miracle noodles' it's....miracle noodle stir fry. Soba is the type of noodle.

Sheesh. Some people's children.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Some of us don't have issues with carbs or fat and have no interest in non-noodle noodles. Just saying.

It isn't Yakisoba is you use 'miracle noodles' it's....miracle noodle stir fry. Soba is the type of noodle.

Sheesh. Some people's children.

You sound angry. TOM? (:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Lolz.

I want cookies but they will give me heart disease.