(LADIES) Working Out on Our Periods? Limits?

Options

Replies

• SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Ketchup bottle effect?

ketchup-pouring-out-of-bottle.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How hard are we allowed to workout?
    I noticed yesterday that I'm starting to "PMS" but I don't want to resort to a corner with a chocolate bar in hand and perhaps a small tub of ice cream. :grumble:
    There are some people who has told me not to push myself too far or it'd have that "ketchup bottle effect" or releasing more than I should.

What should I do?

What do you mean allowed?

I say push as hard as you want. If you feel yourself leaking out, do a check and replace as needed.

Your period isn't usually a handicap.

*Please note that I understand that some women have debilitating cramps. My above statement doesn't apply to you. In the cases of those with such horrendous cramps, talk to your doctor about your pain management and follow their recommendations in regards to exercise during this time.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I could have done without the ketchup bottle image. Ew. Pop some over the counter painkillers and get to it. Periods are no excuse to avoid working out for me.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. Ketchup bottle? Um, no.

I workout regardless. Some people can't because of cramps. I've found it helps all the fun things that go along with shark week.
  • i gotta be honest....i don't hold back when it's TOM...

and I work out late at night, so I do my day, deal with PMS all day and by the end of the day, I don't wanna work out sometimes

EXCEPT....I've learned that no matter how much I don't wanna...when I do work out...ESPECIALLY when I'm raging PMSing...

i feel better after a solid hard long work out.

BETTER!

I can't beat that....so no...i don't stop, I don't slow down and I sure as heck don't take it easy.

I like feeling better....it's so worth it
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    There are no workout limits based on having your period.

I mean, I would probably do something other than swimming if my flow was super heavy, but you can even swim with a tampon under most conditions.

It helps alleviate symptoms to workout. If you feel like you just don't want to and would rather take a rest day, that's fine too. But it's your choice, not an excuse like you can't work hard because you have your period.

QFT. Ketchup bottle effect??? :noway:
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It happens to me.. my flow seems heavier on the days I work out but I push through.. I loose more weight... rid the body of water weight.

I second this one!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    applejack%20what's%20going%20on%20in%20this%20thread.gif
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Sorry but that ketchup thing gave me a pretty good laugh lol!

As for limits, you have no limits! Do whatever your body is comfortable with. For me, working out actually RELIEVES my cramps so I enjoy working out even more when I have my period. :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My main gripe with my period is it makes my face break out really bad. Grrrrr... but as far as working out I just do the same usual thing. I haven't noticed any effect. No idea if my period flows like a ketchup bottle or not because I put a tampon in there to hold it in.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    This is a very individual thing, and it'll vary each month. Go by how you feel, be sure to hydrate well.

If you're having run-of-the-mill cramps that really don't impact your daily life, work out. It'll help with cramps and mood.

If you have endometriosis, dysmenorrhea or menorrhagia, or even random-worst-period-of-your-life-cramps I don't think anyone could judge you for taking a day or two off on your heaviest days. Working out increases your heart rate which increases general circulation. It can also temporarily increase your flow while you're exerting yourself, so like others said you should use both tampon and pad. Take breaks as you need to and listen to your body. If you start feeling dizzy or lightheaded, I'd say take a rest day. That being said, if you're having crazy cramps, chat with your doctor because it shouldn't prevent you from doing daily tasks.

FWIW: This idea of only having so much blood to expel is untrue. When the endometrial lining is shed, it exposes capillaries that were created as the lining built up during the rest of your cycle. This is what causes bleeding during your period.
  • 78carriejohanna
    78carriejohanna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have extra coverage (Tampon and pad) and see what happens as you exercise, then adjust.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Oh dear god it this a real post? Is this your first period? WTF.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I started my period this morning, I'm doing hill sprints in an hour.

NO! NO! Come curl up on the couch with me! BYOHeatingPad!

We can drink wine and eat chocolate and watch girly movies until we cry.

And then have more wine and chocolate.

oh hell... can I join you in the hill sprints?
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Periods. NO EXCUSES! Work out as if nothing is going on!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Periods are supposed to stop us from doing stuff? sigh I have apparently been living my whole life wrong. I didn't know that everything was supposed to come to a screeching halt for that time of the month.

Snarkiness aside - do what you would normally do - why would that time of the month be any different?

Working out is OK, but don't try to milk the cow, put up preserves, wash your hair or lay with your husband.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    push yourself as much as you can. if you start to feel nauseous or dizzy, take a (long) break. some days, I can't do anything at all. even sitting up pushes me over the edge. but if you feel good while doing it, keep it up!
  • Actually, when I have my periods, I still workout. Although, it's extremely difficult to motivate myself during that time, but if I do end up going. And, if I do, my cramps always cease after and I feel great.
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It completely amazes me that in this day and age people are still so concerned about their periods and what they can and can't do. Really its just a little blood. Nervous about it....use a pad with a tampon and move on.

Preach it, sister! Suck it up and work out, ladies!

Checking in just started the WTH!! look all over again!
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That is the silliest thing I ever heard. The only time there are restrictions are if you are doing yoga. There are possitions they recommend you do not due if having your period or if pregnat. Working out actually is supposed to help reduce various PMS symptoms. I grew up near a beach and would spend all summer at the beach, in the water. The pressure of the water somehow reduced my cramps. So I spend all my period days at the beach until the weather was too cold to go into the water.