Accommodating Calories

Options
124»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    For those who have lost a significant amount, how did you cope with the reduction in calories as you lost weight?

Thanks again!! :-)

I'd like to touch on this really quick.
    You should be eventually adding calories to your daily intake as you lose weight.
    As crazy as it sounds you'll want to be building slight amounts of lean muscle as you lose fat.
    I know it sounds counterintuitive but doing this now will save you from dieting incorrectly and ending up in a wheelchair in your 7th decade and on.

you're right, i don't get it.

My daily calorie allowance is set at a deficit to lose, once i get to my desired weight (168), I up my daily intake to a level that sustains weight. Thats my understanding.

PM me for a more detailed account as to why its better to establish BASE TDEE then cut from that point. I'll not give away anymore info that I usually get paid for. For you, i'll help for free.

I'll explain why fat loss is more important that weight loss and how it effects you down the road.
    You can then decide to pull the trigger and do it or ignore the advice thats worked so well for thousands.

I'll not comment anymore on this thread since every post is followed by "I don't get it" but with no initiative to "Get it."
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For those who have lost a significant amount, how did you cope with the reduction in calories as you lost weight?

Thanks again!! :-)

I'd like to touch on this really quick.
    You should be eventually adding calories to your daily intake as you lose weight.
    As crazy as it sounds you'll want to be building slight amounts of lean muscle as you lose fat.
    I know it sounds counterintuitive but doing this now will save you from dieting incorrectly and ending up in a wheelchair in your 7th decade and on.

you're right, i don't get it.

My daily calorie allowance is set at a deficit to lose, once i get to my desired weight (168), I up my daily intake to a level that sustains weight. Thats my understanding.

PM me for a more detailed account as to why its better to establish BASE TDEE then cut from that point. I'll not give away anymore info that I usually get paid for. For you, i'll help for free.

I'll explain why fat loss is more important that weight loss and how it effects you down the road.
    You can then decide to pull the trigger and do it or ignore the advice thats worked so well for thousands.

I'll not comment anymore on this thread since every post is followed by "I don't get it" but with no initiative to "Get it."

Oh lord.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Me again! Sorry... Any how I had a gruelling workout at the gym today, 1 hour just training my back (in lieu of training my legs becauee of painful knee). I triset various weight lifting exercises for my upper, mid and lower back. I trained so hard at one point I was light headed. Anyhow, my heart rate hit around 175 but dropped quickly during rest periods - my hear rate drops quickly. I wore my garmin fore runner, instead of my Decathlon HRM. Now I estimate my Decathlon HRM wouldve recorded a calorie expenditure of between 900-1100 kCals. The Garmin recorded 432kCals!!!!!!! I didnt think this was correct either. Then I do some digging on the internet and find a whole load of people saying the same thing ... there is a something not right about the Garmin. So I think I'll stick with the Dacathlon one for now until I'm flush enough to purchase a myzone belt which I've been thinking of getting for a few months now.

Anyone one have a Myzone belt?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I wore my garmin fore runner, instead of my Decathlon HRM. Now I estimate my Decathlon HRM wouldve recorded a calorie expenditure of between 900-1100 kCals. The Garmin recorded 432kCals!!!!!!! I didnt think this was correct either. Then I do some digging on the internet and find a whole load of people saying the same thing ... there is a something not right about the Garmin. So I think I'll stick with the Dacathlon one for now until I'm flush enough to purchase a myzone belt which I've been thinking of getting for a few months now.

For an hour of strength training, 432 Calories is a lot closer to reality than 900-1100. HRMs were not designed to estimate energy expenditure in that kind of exercise. They use formulas for continuous, steady-state, moderate to intense aerobic exercise. Firstbit claims that their algorithm works for other kinds of exercise, but AFAIK they're the only company to make that claim.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    432 for an hour of weightlifting is much more than I would say is reasonable. I generally log 200 or so per hour for heavy barbell work.

HRMs vastly overestimate strength training calories due to the nature of heart rate. I dislike HRMs.