Replies

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be snooty, but what difference does it make? :huh:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP you do not have an hourglass figure. Enjoy and love what you have.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Irregular.jpg
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA :) I feel your pain too!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Calabi - yau?

animated-quartic.gif
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would also go with inverted-V shape. A true hourglass is supposed to have 10 inches between the hips/bust and the waist measurement. You can stil have some curves and be an inverted-V and a rectangle.

The principle is that you want to emphasize or down play certain areas and the shape guidelines tells you what tricks will work for you. Thats all it really means. If you want to dress as if you are an hourglass, it may not be the most flattering look but you are welcome to do so. :flowerforyou:

I came up with the same conclusion as you for the same reasons.
    But she doesn't want to be "inverted v". she wants us to say "hourglass".

ts just how some people are saying it makes it sound un desirable and I don't even have a straight up and down figure, wtf? I was curious what I was classified as and my mom basically told me my waist is fat because I'm like 30 pounds overweight.

Damn I should just stick to asking my mom. I remember why I hate people. :laugh:

Are you the same person who used to ask this question on these boards a while back?? It sounds like the same person, who was also very obsessed with her body type. Who cares?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sounds hour-glass.

Edited - maybe not.
    Hourglass is the bust and hips are the same size (or within an inch) and the waist is at least 10 inches smaller. She is not an hourglass.

I agree with apple or inverted triangle.
  • rml_16
    Options
    body shape does not matter. It's yet another classification used to either shame others or feel bad about yourself.

It's good to know in order to dress in a flattering way. Knowing what clothing cuts work best on your shape is not a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with any body shape. It is your shape. Very few women are true hourglasses, so if you're not an hourglass, you're in very good company.

The thing is, being an hourglass and trying to find flatering clothing is TOUGH because there are so few and clothing designers cater to the majority. It's taken me a lot of years to figure out what works without having to try on every piece of clothing in the store. :-/
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly, but what does whether we are an apple, pear, or watermelon matter? We can't change our basic shape, we can only make the best of what we have.

In some cases, one's pattern of weight distribution is believed to indicate possible health issues. For example, researchers say that it's healthier to be pear-shaped than to be apple-shaped because the fat stored in the abdominal region is metabolically different to that stored in the hips, glutes, and thighs. There's a correlation between folks with apple shapes and conditions like heart disease.

An understanding of our shape can help us create an illusion of better proportions through dress.

I like that many people are mocking the fruit classifications. And once again, this is something that is focused on women, not men.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I like that many people are mocking the fruit classifications. And once again, this is something that is focused on women, not men.

Probably because there isn't a lot of variation in men's body types.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    This might sound silly, but what does whether we are an apple, pear, or watermelon matter? We can't change our basic shape, we can only make the best of what we have.

In some cases, one's pattern of weight distribution is believed to indicate possible health issues. For example, researchers say that it's healthier to be pear-shaped than to be apple-shaped because the fat stored in the abdominal region is metabolically different to that stored in the hips, glutes, and thighs. There's a correlation between folks with apple shapes and conditions like heart disease.

An understanding of our shape can help us create an illusion of better proportions through dress.

It's not the classification that matters but some evidence that waist to hip ratios might be surrogate health indicators of health risk.

Oh, and unhappy meatloaf is probably a a bad fruit to be.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Probably because it doesn't matter.

body+types-men.jpg
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

It's not the classification that matters but some evidence that waist to hip ratios might be surrogate health indicators of health risk.

Oh, and unhappy meatloaf is probably a a bad fruit to be.

If you read my comment, I discussed the health implications first. The classifications shouldn't matter, but if women are constantly being described in those terms they have their effect.

It's very easy for men to dismiss this because they are not judged the same way. It's called "male privilege."
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    body shape does not matter. It's yet another classification used to either shame others or feel bad about yourself.

It's good to know in order to dress in a flattering way. Knowing what clothing cuts work best on your shape is not a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with any body shape. It is your shape. Very few women are true hourglasses, so if you're not an hourglass, you're in very good company.

The thing is, being an hourglass and trying to find flatering clothing is TOUGH because there are so few and clothing designers cater to the majority. It's taken me a lot of years to figure out what works without having to try on every piece of clothing in the store. :-/

Being an hourglass is tough for finding clothes sometimes, especially if you are short waisted. Every body shape has it's own particular challenges. I try to make sure I don't look like I have linebacker shoulders.
  • rml_16
    Options

Probably because it doesn't matter.

body+types-men.jpg
    The slight differences in those body types are barely noticable and won't really have much effect on flattering clothing.

Look at an hourglass next to a "ruler" for women and you'll understand my point a little better.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Sounds hour-glass.

Edited - maybe not.
    Hourglass is the bust and hips are the same size (or within an inch) and the waist is at least 10 inches smaller. She is not an hourglass.

Here we go.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Ciabatta
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sounds hour-glass.

Edited - maybe not.

Here we go.

If I say I'm an hourglass, will someone challenge that? Let's get this party started.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Sounds hour-glass.

Edited - maybe not.

Here we go.

If I say I'm an hourglass, will someone challenge that? Let's get this party started.

No challenge from me:drinker:
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Grecian Urn