Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Macros Vs hitting calorie count

13»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    NM - double post
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member

Hmmm...What kind of protein are you talking about?

Protein is always ~4cals per gram.

Most (all?) sources of protein though (like meat & milk, etc...) also contain certain amounts of fat and/or carbs which will increase the overall calore count.
    I
    Ok, so now that I'm thinking about that, 400 calories for 100 g of protein isn't possible, because of the fat, carbs, etc. that you mentioned. Reasonably, I could get 100 g of protein from plain chicken breast for roughly 460 calories, but not 400? Which is why I asked my original question and I'm now confused as to why that makes me a dumbass?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member

*sigh*

Me, too. Probably because my calorie allotment is low - Trying to fit in > 100g of protein on 1500-1600 cals means I either eat chicken breast or drink a protein shake for at least one meal if I want a little dessert or I won't make it. Most days, I don't make it, 'cause I'm not giving up the dessert to get another 15-25g of protein.

What the other poster was saying, though, is that since your macros should already be calculated to 100% of your calories (since OP was using % method), then if you hit your macros, you've hit your calories as well. %p + %c + %f = 100% calorie target.

It's just a little more confusing for those of us who do: min g protein + min g fat + min(or max) g carb + whatever else = calorie target. You'll notice your total calories is still in the equation, though.

I see what you are saying...

For me I think it is easier to arrange my calories based on
    1) How many I want....
    2) What I want my macros to be
    3) fill in remaining calories with whatever.....depending on what I am doing that day.

100g of protein is only 400 calories...not that bad.

Ok, I will not go smart *kitten*.....
    But I don't understand your question???

The protein I get from milk, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, protein powder, greek yogurt

It was an honest question. Don't be rude about it. I'm NEW to this. Thanks for understanding.

Sorry then, my fault
    I apologize.....
    I didn't understand where you were coming from with the question.......

You know what they say about assuming.....so I am the @$$ here on this one.

1 gr of protein == 4 cal
    1 gr of carbs == 4 cal
    1 gr of fat == 9 cal
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Most (all?) sources of protein though (like meat & milk, etc...) also contain certain amounts of fat and/or carbs which will increase the overall calore count.
    I
    Ok, so now that I'm thinking about that, 400 calories for 100 g of protein isn't possible, because of the fat, carbs, etc. that you mentioned. Reasonably, I could get 100 g of protein from plain chicken breast for roughly 460 calories, but not 400? Which is why I asked my original question and I'm now confused as to why that makes me a dumbass?

Protein is 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram, and carbs are (mostly) 4 calories per gram [fiber is less].

In real life you can't consume pure protein with nothing else.
  • MityMax96

I

In chkn breast there are no carbs....and very little fat....
  • WhiteRabbit1313

*sigh*

Me, too. Probably because my calorie allotment is low - Trying to fit in > 100g of protein on 1500-1600 cals means I either eat chicken breast or drink a protein shake for at least one meal if I want a little dessert or I won't make it. Most days, I don't make it, 'cause I'm not giving up the dessert to get another 15-25g of protein.

What the other poster was saying, though, is that since your macros should already be calculated to 100% of your calories (since OP was using % method), then if you hit your macros, you've hit your calories as well. %p + %c + %f = 100% calorie target.

It's just a little more confusing for those of us who do: min g protein + min g fat + min(or max) g carb + whatever else = calorie target. You'll notice your total calories is still in the equation, though.

I see what you are saying...

For me I think it is easier to arrange my calories based on
    1) How many I want....
    2) What I want my macros to be
    3) fill in remaining calories with whatever.....depending on what I am doing that day.

100g of protein is only 400 calories...not that bad.

Ok, I will not go smart *kitten*.....
    But I don't understand your question???

The protein I get from milk, cottage cheese, fish, chicken, protein powder, greek yogurt

It was an honest question. Don't be rude about it. I'm NEW to this. Thanks for understanding.

Sorry then, my fault
    I apologize.....
    I didn't understand where you were coming from with the question.......

You know what they say about assuming.....so I am the @$$ here on this one.

1 gr of protein == 4 cal
    1 gr of carbs == 4 cal
    1 gr of fat == 9 cal

Lol! Ok, cool. A misunderstanding, then. No worries! I was thinking that chicken had the highest protein content per serving, so I was really hoping you knew something that I didn't. However, just breaking it down this way really helps me to see that it IS possible to fit other things in that I couldn't seem to before. I will have to use more herbs and spices and less cheese, breading, etc. Prior to attempting IIFYM, I was eating more fruits and veggies and had meatless meals fairly regularly. The shift to a lot more meat was nauseating.
  • MityMax96

Lol! Ok, cool. A misunderstanding, then. No worries! I was thinking that chicken had the highest protein content per serving, so I was really hoping you knew something that I didn't. However, just breaking it down this way really helps me to see that it IS possible to fit other things in that I couldn't seem to before. I will have to use more herbs and spices and less cheese, breading, etc. Prior to attempting IIFYM, I was eating more fruits and veggies and had meatless meals fairly regularly. The shift to a lot more meat was nauseating.

Chicken breast does have a really good protein content when stacked up against fat and carbs.

Tuna is also a decent source of protein, with little fat and no carbs.

Feel free to look over my diary if you wish, get some ideas.....
  • WhiteRabbit1313

Chicken breast does have a really good protein content when stacked up against fat and carbs.

Tuna is also a decent source of protein, with little fat and no carbs.

Feel free to look over my diary if you wish, get some ideas.....

I will do that. Thank you! !!
  • MityMax96
    Welcome
  • Bump
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Good to see this sparked some good discussion. Thanks for the input everyone. I've adjusted my macros (40% carbs and 30/30 for the rest. I think I'm going the route of eating back exercise calories in health ways but not looking as closely at the macros and focus on just refueling and not the percentages.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Good to see this sparked some good discussion. Thanks for the input everyone. I've adjusted my macros (40% carbs and 30/30 for the rest. I think I'm going the route of eating back exercise calories in health ways but not looking as closely at the macros and focus on just refueling and not the percentages.

Enjoy the pizza :)
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Thanks!! It was too hard to hit the proper macros after burning so many calories that it's good to see I can just reload on other foods as long as I hit my protein mark. Though there won't be many 1,500 burned-calorie days it's good to know how to eat after them.