eating WHATEVER I want but not getting full

Options
ok, so I know that as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Here's the problem. I cannot get full on the meals that I really love to eat, so it's a problem eating WHATEVER I want. For instance, this is what I feel like having today.
Breakfast= coffee with cream and sweetnlow, eggs and cheese, grits, and toast
Lunch=Bologna and cheese sandwich with mayo, small bag of doritoes, coke
Dinner=homemade chicken pot pie, rice, sweet tea

I haven't estimated the calories in that yet, but if it's about 1200, I know I can eat it, but I betcha I won't get full and when the late evening comes around, I've be craving junk food like sweets or something. Anyone else have a problem just eating what their body wants them to eat but not feeling full?

Replies

• eightstone123
    Options
    Hi,

Do you make sure that you drink plenty of water? It really does help the hunger pangs. Also, try eating more veggies as they tend to be more satiating.

Best of Luck!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I had that issue too. I was meeting with a nutritionist, and told her that I was eating well, but I was still hungry. She suggested I increase my fiber intake.

I started getting Chocolite Protein Bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com) - they have about 10g fiber, 10g protein, they're gluten and sugar free, and about 100 calories. I usually have 1 (at about 10am) or 2 (maybe another one at 3-3:30pm) a day as snacks. I like the triple chocolate fudge, and cookies and cream. My husband likes the cashew caramel, peanut butter, and cookies and cream.

There are other ways of increasing fiber - like checking the fiber in the bread you eat, maybe having oatmeal instead of grits.

Also, make sure to increase your protein intake. The nutritionist told me to focus on protein and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty accurate. Protein takes longer to digest than carbs/fats so the satiety lasts longer.

And keep up with the water.

Good luck!
  • QueenofGuac
    QueenofGuac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Fiber and water are going to help a lot.

I also want to add two things.

1. Healthy fats! Almonds help me out when I'm feeling like ravenous.

2. How soon do you eat after you wake up? I MUST eat within an hour or else the entire day I feel like I can't get full. Its insane. I'll chug water, eat veggies, snack on almonds and nothing will help! And it's because I ate too late after I woke up. Seriously. Game changing.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    To be honest, I haven't felt "full" in a long time. It's like I had to learn what it feels like to be satiated/satisfied without being packed full. Certain high-fiber foods, I noticed, are a little heavier in the stomach and help quite curb cravings quite a bit:

1. Cream of Wheat - 110cal/serving
    2. Oatmeal - 150cal/serving
    3. Sweet Potato - 89cal/100gram (raw weight)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    More water, more fiber.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, the IIFYM MFP experts assert that you can eat whatever you want. Just use "willpower" and practice "moderation" and the quality of food matters not at all. Honestly, that's just illogical imo. If your body is not being adequately nourished (I'm talking micro nutrients) then it will not be satisfied.

For me, the food matters. Completely. I spent over 20 years restricting calories and trying to use willpower and moderation and I always failed. My end results were poor self esteem, depression, pre-diabetes, binge eating disorder, morbid obesity and many other illnesses. Then I changed the food, set my macros to something that makes more sense than MFP defaults and immediately I stopped being sick and started losing fat.

So do what works for you, but if eating whatever you want isn't working, try changing what you "want" to eat. Honestly, I'm not deprived at all by eating ribeye steaks, eggs, bacon, salads, butter, etc. I LOVE the food I eat but there was an unpleasant time of adjustment for a short time after I eliminated the sugar and grains. Best decision for me, ever. No food is worth being sick and fat over; at least not from my current perspective.

PS. More water and fibre don't actually add the micronutrients that the body is seeking, so that advice never worked for me personally. If you aren't full, you need NUTRIENTS. And if you are trying to eat only 1200, regardless of TDEE, that just might not be enough food either. Smaller, more frequent meals don't help either imo; tried that one for years. lol
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I focus on limiting carbs, and letting everything else fall into place. I feel full a lot, and my calorie goal is set to 2200 to lose 0.5 lb/week.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight, you are not going to be able to eat the same way and lose weight. It's that simple. If you want to eat calorie dense food like that, you're not going to be able to eat a lot of it. If how you ate before was healthy, you'd already be thin!

Calorie deficiency is still a diet. If you're serious about losing weight, you need to switch out your food for healthier choices.
  • terimcgee
    Options
    split your meals up into 6 smaller ones. You can have all the greens you can stand. add more water! You should take your body weight divide it by 2 and that is the minimum ounces you should consume daily. Make sure you are getting 25 to 30 g of fiber a day also! Fiber helps you feel fuller!
    Good luck!
  • nicoleduo
    nicoleduo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bulk up your meals by adding vegetables. If cooked with no oil or butter they are very low in calories and fat,
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you need a snack at night save some of your calories so that you have room for said snack (factor it in). Or go for a 30 min walk so that you have the extra calories to allow for the snack.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Another approach: do you have to feel full? I often go to bed hungry but knowing I've had my right calories and nutrients so I won't die when I wake up. :o)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Yup, the IIFYM MFP experts assert that you can eat whatever you want. Just use "willpower" and practice "moderation" and the quality of food matters not at all. Honestly, that's just illogical imo. If your body is not being adequately nourished (I'm talking micro nutrients) then it will not be satisfied.

For me, the food matters. Completely. I spent over 20 years restricting calories and trying to use willpower and moderation and I always failed. My end results were poor self esteem, depression, pre-diabetes, binge eating disorder, morbid obesity and many other illnesses. Then I changed the food, set my macros to something that makes more sense than MFP defaults and immediately I stopped being sick and started losing fat.

So do what works for you, but if eating whatever you want isn't working, try changing what you "want" to eat. Honestly, I'm not deprived at all by eating ribeye steaks, eggs, bacon, salads, butter, etc. I LOVE the food I eat but there was an unpleasant time of adjustment for a short time after I eliminated the sugar and grains. Best decision for me, ever. No food is worth being sick and fat over; at least not from my current perspective.

PS. More water and fibre don't actually add the micronutrients that the body is seeking, so that advice never worked for me personally. If you aren't full, you need NUTRIENTS.

I think you're confused as to what IIFYM really is
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast= coffee with cream and sweetnlow, eggs and cheese, grits, and toast
    Dinner=homemade chicken pot pie, rice, sweet tea "

I haven't estimated the calories in that yet, but if it's about 1200, I know I can eat it, but I betcha I won't get full and when the late evening comes around, I've be craving junk food like sweets or something. Anyone else have a problem just eating what their body wants them to eat but not feeling full?

#1 - Drink water, eat more fiber

#2 - Don't estimate. I weigh/measure EVERYTHING and I'm betting you're over 1200 calories just from looking at this, Which is NOT bad. 1200 calories it TOO LOW for most people. Set your intake for your TDEE minus 10-20%. You have to eat at LEAST your BMR to survive. Most people have a BMR higher than 1200 calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ok, so I know that as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Here's the problem. I cannot get full on the meals that I really love to eat, so it's a problem eating WHATEVER I want. For instance, this is what I feel like having today.
    Breakfast= coffee with cream and sweetnlow, eggs and cheese, grits, and toast
    Dinner=homemade chicken pot pie, rice, sweet tea

Is your calorie goal set correctly? If 1200 calories is your goal, it may not be enough.

If 1200 is enough, then make sure your macros are not unbalanced (protein, carbs, fat). You may need more protein or more fat to feel more satiated.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Also, try eating more veggies as they tend to be more satiating.

^^^^This^^^^

Bulk up that sandwich with green leaf lettuce, tomato, onions
    That pot pie with a side salad
    those eggs scrambles with some green peppers, onions, celery or tomatoes
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Why don't you pre-log? You'd be lucky to get all that in for 1,200.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Another approach: do you have to feel full? I often go to bed hungry but knowing I've had my right calories and nutrients so I won't die when I wake up. :o)

I never go to bed hungry.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    bulk up your meals by adding vegetables. If cooked with no oil or butter they are very low in calories and fat,

Cuz our bodies don't need fat at all.... WRONG. Seriously, satiety has NOTHING to do with volume of food in one's stomach. :noway:
  • deksgrl
    Options

FYI, fat doesn't make you fat. It is an essential macro for proper bodily functions.