eating WHATEVER I want but not getting full

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    UM, no I'm not. Most people here follow MFP default macros, which is a big problem in and of itself. Then add in eating nutrient poor foods because they are "eating what they want" because no one should ever be "deprived" and that's the problem with IIFYM.

I'm not a retard, and I might know something after 20+ years of low cal/low fat useless dieting.

I'm advising others who are struggling with something that does not work for many people (eat anything you want IIFYM). If it works for you, then aren't you blessed.

Not sure what following MFP default macros has to do with IIFYM, because part of IIFYM is setting appropriate macro goals. So if you think "eating to your MFP default macros" is IIFYM then you don't know what IIFYM is.
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ok, so I know that as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Here's the problem. I cannot get full on the meals that I really love to eat, so it's a problem eating WHATEVER I want. For instance, this is what I feel like having today.
    Breakfast= coffee with cream and sweetnlow, eggs and cheese, grits, and toast
    Lunch=Bologna and cheese sandwich with mayo, small bag of doritoes, coke
    Dinner=homemade chicken pot pie, rice, sweet tea

I haven't estimated the calories in that yet, but if it's about 1200, I know I can eat it, but I betcha I won't get full and when the late evening comes around, I've be craving junk food like sweets or something. Anyone else have a problem just eating what their body wants them to eat but not feeling full?

Drink water instead of the coke and sweet tea. That should free up about 300-350 calories (depending on the size/brand).

Also agree with what some other people have said, 1200 calories might be too low for you. Try 1500 for a couple weeks and see what happens.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    First off, 1200 calories/day is awfully low for most people. Maybe you should reasses you daily calorie target.

As I have logged calories I have found myself choosing foods that make me feel full for a relatively low/modest amount of calories. I am becoming one of those people who struggle to get in all of my calories because I eat a lot of filling foods. When I first started MFP I rolled my eyes at those "Help I am not getting enough calories" posts.

To give you examples of what I eat to feel full:

MFP sets my daily target to be at 1580 calories/day + eating back exercise to lose 1 lb per week. Using TDEE - 20% I estimate that I should be around 1950 calories. These are pretty close for me.

For Monday-Friday I eat the same thing almost everyday for breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast (418 calories total):
    Homemade Mocha: 177 calories
    Breakfast sandwich (made at home): English muffin (100 calories), 1 egg (70 calories), 1 slice ham (31 calories), 1 thin cut slice provolone (40 calories). Total for sandwich: 241 calories.

Lunch (260 calories total):
    Large salad (very basic, because it is easy): Greens (either baby spinach, romaine lettuce, or spring mixed greens). about 30-35 calories (it's low calorie so often times I don't bother measuring, I just fill the bowl). All I add to the greens is 4 oz of grilled chicken (120 calories) and 2 tblsps dressing (40-50 calories, depending on brand). Total for salad is just under 200.
    Fruit salad: I make fruit salad and eat it every day. It consists of strawberries, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in a honey lime dressing. I have a huge portion, 160 calories.

Snack: For an afternoon snack I have 1 oz of cocoa almonds. 150 calories.

So breakfast, lunch, and snack adds up to 828 calories. I usually have a dinner that is between 600-700 calories then maybe a small dessert after (a couple cookies) for 150-200 more. That brings my daily total up to 1728. I tend to feel full after lunch and dinner.

The weekends don't have as much structure for me. I try to do the best I can and if I go over I don't sweat it because I tend to be under my goal throughout the week.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    OP-that's way more than 1200 calories. And I would eat off my arm if that's all the food I ate in a day.

The idea is to eat foods that provide your body with the necessary macro and micro nutrients-from whatever source you find tasty and fits within your calorie goals.

You'll feel more satiated if you eat more food. In order to do that, you'll need to swap out some of your food choices for items that are less calorie dense. Conveniently, your day looks to be sadly lacking in fruits and vegetables. Both of those (vegetables especially) provide lots of nutrients and volume for not a lot of calories. Score-more food, not a lot of calories.

There's nothing inherently wrong with any food. But a balanced diet provides adequate nutrition (macro and micro nutrients). You can get those from whatever source you wish. Protein is protein whether it comes from meat, eggs, tofu or from a peanut butter cookie. But you need to be eating a mix of things that provide all the nutrients you need, and if you're having troubles feeling full-you're going to need to try to look for some less calorie dense foods that you enjoy. If you only eat calorie dense foods (lots of calories in not a lot of volume), you just can't eat a large volume of food. For example-peanut butter is 200 cal for 1/8 cup. The same number of calories for most veggies gives you more like 4 cups. Personally, I am more full eating four cups of food than 1/8 cup.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    1.) Eat more than 1200 calories.
    2.) Exercise so that you can eat even more calories.
    3.) Focus on protein so you feel full longer.
    4.) Drink water.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Vegetables? Fruits? Ever heard of them?

Well I'm 41 years old, so I hope I've heard of them. My post was regarding being able to eat WHATEVER you want as long as you're in a calorie deficit. Well, I don't like most veggies and most fruit, so obvisiously it wouldn't be something that I would eat on a daily basis. Keep in mind my original post. Several websites and ads suggest that you can eat whatever you want, ie., calories in versus calories out. But yeah, I'm not talking about eating 1200 calories worth of chocolate cake and doritoes. I mean normal meals that your family would eat. Trying to eat those kinds of meals and still be in your calorie range is what I'm talking about.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well I'm 41 years old, so I hope I've heard of them. My post was regarding being able to eat WHATEVER you want as long as you're in a calorie deficit. Well, I don't like most veggies and most fruit, so obvisiously it wouldn't be something that I would eat on a daily basis. Keep in mind my original post. Several websites and ads suggest that you can eat whatever you want, ie., calories in versus calories out. But yeah, I'm not talking about eating 1200 calories worth of chocolate cake and doritoes. I mean normal meals that your family would eat. Trying to eat those kinds of meals and still be in your calorie range is what I'm talking about.

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you stick to your calorie deficit, but satiety is an issue. You need to figure out what foods actually satisfy you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

But what you listed wasn't 1200 calories. It may or may not have been a deficit for you.

You can eat whatever you want as long as you are in a deficit and lose weight. That does not mean that it will keep you full. That's actually part of the problem of this type of diet, especially with lower calorie goals. Many people need to eat lots more lower calorie foods (veggies are usually pretty good for this) as well as leaner protein to help stay at their calorie goal and still feel full. Like I mentioned earlier, I focus on protein and some fat with every meal to help me stay satiated as well.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    dont drink soda get rid of toast and bread.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

So you're not really asking for help, but trying to disprove the 'eat whatever you want' sentiment? I agree that it gets a bit over-used. To lose weight, many people do have to retrain themselves, at least to a degree, on what they eat. A lot of overweight people get that way by eating a lot of foods that don't provide a good level of fullness for the amount of calories they have - empty calories. Increasing proteins really helps with feeling full on fewer calories. And while I don't follow a low carb diet, many carbohydrates have that empty calorie effect on me.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    ok, so I know that as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Here's the problem. I cannot get full on the meals that I really love to eat, so it's a problem eating WHATEVER I want. For instance, this is what I feel like having today.

I haven't estimated the calories in that yet, but if it's about 1200, I know I can eat it, but I betcha I won't get full and when the late evening comes around, I've be craving junk food like sweets or something. Anyone else have a problem just eating what their body wants them to eat but not feeling full?

well i decided to add your meal plan into my food diary just to see how many calories it really is. of course i don't know things like what kind of bread, what's in the chicken pot pie, how much grits, what kind of doritos, if it's brown or white rice (i went with brown) so i went with single portion sizes for everything. i did leave out the cheese in the sandwich because i forgot about it and the drinks. your total would be just over 1500 not 1200. so if you're trying to stay in a calorie deficit then you can't eat all this.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

yes it's possible but with slight changes. making sandwiches for the family, make your sandwich using 1 slice of whole wheat bread. making grits for the family, leave out the cheese and let everyone add it themselves. eggs are amazing! eat them. making chicken pot pie for the family - eat everything but the crust. personally i'd never waste calories on any carbonated drink. i prefer to save my calories for food that and i don't like the carbonation. also 1200 calories might be too low for you. 1200 is the minimum i personally eat 1380 (i'm 41 and 4' 11-3/4")
  • Resolve2B
    Resolve2B Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's not all about calories. It's about the TYPE of food we eat. Not everyone is affected by food in the same way but I know I am very carb sensitive. Once I introduce a carb into my day I set up a craving for "more". The more carbs I eat, the more I want but I could eat carbs all day long and still not feel "full" (i.e. I wouldn't feel "satiated").

The best thing I've ever done is follow the South Beach lifestyle. It starts out with a grim couple of weeks (for those of us who cannot think of too many food choices/recipes that are not high carb/sugar) but very doable and the bonus is that it's very healthy...mostly lean meat and many good veggies. It's only 2 weeks (and then you can start adding back some "good" carbs) but wow, the cravings for carbs really goes away. Oh, I still LIKE that kind of food but I don't feel "addicted".

I'd suggest you try it. It's only 2 weeks. You won't die from it or anything in 2 weeks. :wink:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

If losing weight is literally your only goal, then yes, the only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out and you can eat WHATEVER you want. Obviously, everyone has other goals they need to balance against losing weight. Not being constantly starving is also an important goal, along with not being angry, exhausted, headache-y and anything else that may go along with it. So is eating enough protein so you don't lose muscle mass, or getting enough Vitamin C that you don't end up with scurvy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I eat normal meals that my family would eat. I stay in my calorie range. I feel full. I lose weight. Maybe your calorie goal is not reasonable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You got to make good choices. Obviously if you only eat high calorie, non filling foods, you will be hungry... Just learn to cook healthier foods in a way you like.

I'm all for IFFYM but you have to be smart about it. For example, I could never have toast, doritos, rice, more bread, full fat mayo, bologna, coke and chicken pot pie the same day... just would not work. None of that stuff would be filling enough for the calories (ok maybe the rice).

I'm curious what your macros would be too? Probably not so good.

Not going to get on your case about the lack of fruit and veggies, I'm guilty of that as well (but they don't fill me up so I tend to go for protein instead).
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    wow! I cannot believe how incredibly helpful you guys have been. To make it short, I was really just wanting to know HOW you could eat what you want to eat and stay in your calorie range without feeling hungry. So most of you say that protein and fat with you daily meals with help a lot, and consuming more water. To be honest, I hardly drink any water. I find it hard to drink anything at all when you're just not thirsty. So maybe I will just try to eat 80% healthy and 20% junk, all while not going over my calorie limit, to keep me sane and avoid a huge binge or something. What do you think?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    wow! I cannot believe how incredibly helpful you guys have been. To make it short, I was really just wanting to know HOW you could eat what you want to eat and stay in your calorie range without feeling hungry. So most of you say that protein and fat with you daily meals with help a lot, and consuming more water. To be honest, I hardly drink any water. I find it hard to drink anything at all when you're just not thirsty. So maybe I will just try to eat 80% healthy and 20% junk, all while not going over my calorie limit, to keep me sane and avoid a huge binge or something. What do you think?

By eating smaller quantities of the things I want. I plan the day in advance to make sure I can fit in things I like and stay full.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options

You're eating crap. You're not going to get full on empty calories.

Breakfast - No just no.

Redo Breakfast - Coffee with SKIM and honey approx 75 calories. 2 boiled eggs - 140 calories - Med apple - 80 calories - 1 piece of WHOLE GRAIN toast with butter - approx 180 calories = 475 calories

Lunch - NO Bologna and cheese (that's NOT healthy!) no mayo no doritos and no coke. Jebus... wthell are you feeding yourself?

Redo Lunch - Chicken breast on a WHOLE WHEAT/GRAIN kaiser with avocado, romaine lettuce and tomato - 4 oz chick breast approx 180, kaiser approx 200 calories, 1/2 avocado approx 80 calories, romaine and tomato - approx 40 = 500 calories

Dinner - chicken pot pie... now you're really making me shake my head that's EMPTY CALORIES pastry and gravy? No rice unless it's brown rice. Sweet team means SWEET as in sugar or FAKE sugar.

Redo Dinner - Chicken breast again with baked potato and greek yogurt (1/2 cup) baked broccoli - 180 + 130 + 100 + 50 = 460

NOW you have a day full of nutrition... throw in fruit in between as snacks. screw the 1,200 calories a day that won't keep you full and the less you eat the worse it is.

total 1,435 calories (ish) + snacks will bring you to about 1,600 or 1,700 calories.

Remember, stay away from empty calories!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    @footiechick82, thanks for the help. I have a question though. According to the BMR charts, I will maintain weight on about 1700 calories. How can I lose weight if I am eating that same amount?