Shocked at the amount of calories

Options
123457»

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Not any one in particular comes to mind. Many of them blew me away only because I didnt realize how much I was consuming.
  • michigan100403
    michigan100403 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    India Pale Ale beers. I had never liked them, worked a total wine for a couple years, and learned to like the hoppy beers. Suddenly no matter what I did I was re-gaining the weight I'd worked so hard to lose a year earlier. Now I'm back to my fat weight after kids, and starting all over. I saw that the average IPA rings in at 300 calories!!!!! I am now abstaining from all alcohol (at least weeknights so far) and decided that only light beer would be stocked in house. Down 3 pounds so it's helping
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Wraps..... just the thin flat bread bit rather than the finished filled item. How can something so flat count for so much?!

THIS.

I've pretty much given up bread and needed another way to transport lovely sandwich fillings, but when I saw how 'expensive' the wholemeal ones are I was like NOPE. Salads forever it will seem :/

My mom uses large greens (usually lettuce) to wrap her sandwich fillings. Kinda like a salad, though. :laugh:
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is higher in calories than Nutella.
    This shocked me
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Another big shocker for me, Rosemary. Such a fantastically robust spice: 3g (1 tsp) = 11 calories. Pardon? You can't even get Rosemary on a tsp! :laugh:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I saw that Diet Coke actually has ZERO calories.

Still... I don't buy it. There's gotta be something wrong with it :bigsmile:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I was shocke Doritos chips(50) was only 630 calories; luckily it had 10 grams of protein(sarcasm people)
  • mzkyndly
    mzkyndly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh, having done this many a time, always thinking later, how the hell do I Fit a WHOLE pie in my bellah :P

last week it was a gallon of wine in 3 days, I dutifully entered it, and worked my butt off in the mornings. :=)
    i ate an entire pie of pizza once. i put it into mfp and i was shocked. i don't know why, but i should of expected that lol. it was my cheat day too. don't worry though. everyone has those days :D
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    What did me in? The cheesecake! At 600 calories per tiny, delicious slice.

Yup. That is what the people who say, "eat what you want, just in moderation" don't get.

Even if you have the willpower to only eat a tiny slice of cheesecake at a sitting, it is still an enormous amount of of your daily allotment of calories and you will be hungry again in no time and need to eat again, easily going over your allotment for the day.

Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation. Unless you are one of those people who eats a spoonful of some treat and is satisfied.

Yup.

Which is why my definition of "moderation" is to only have those sweet, high calorie treats occasionally, but indulge in as much as I like when I do.

I have no desire to try and live my life where I can only have a half a cup of Haagen Dazs or two Oreo cookies every day. No thanks. I have no issue at all going long stretches of time without my indulgences, but it's nice to eat freely when I do chose to have them.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon bun from cinnabon .. 900 cals.. i almost cried.:sad:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Lol I tried to find something reasonable there... nope.

I agree about the 'moderation' thing. Some things you just can't fit in.. I've been craving five guys but I just can't fit a small 600 calorie burger and 400 calorie fries in my day (that's if I only have a small portion), and I'd be hungry.

Although to be fair, last time I had a piece of cheesecake, it fit in my day just fine, it was my lunch, and I honestly wasn't hungry for quite a while after. I'm guessing one of the Cheesecake Factory 1000 calorie slices could fill me up a bit, they are HUGE.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Through the years a few dishes have surprised me. I was shocked when I initially learned how many calories are in peanut butter. Plain old, regular chips a'hoy, oreos, and other like small commercial cookies once really floored me. The calorie counts in Cheescake Factory meals are obscene (though I've only eaten at one once). A few others here and there have taken me aback.

But Cinnabon was never one. From the very first time I had that gooey decadence I supposed that it had a million calories packed inside. I could feel every single last one of those many, many calories. I never even bothered to find out how many were packed in one because I knew I wouldn't like the answer (back when I cared about calories, which I do not anymore).
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation.

For me, "moderation" has become a "once in a very little while" thing rather than "just a little bit" thing. Cheesecake is fine if you have it a couple times a year, not fine if you have it every day or every week. I figure if I blow out my calories a few days a year (like my birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc), that's okay, because most of the time I'm eating at a pretty deep deficit. I have a hard time with "just one bite" for some things, so moderation is slightly different for me.

That's exactly how I do "eating in moderation". On Friday I enjoyed some chocolate covered chips...best thing EVER! But I won't have them again for a very long time. Luckily I'm not really a sweets kind of person, I'd rather save my calories for a nice juicy steak...red meat makes me so happy!

I think cheese and nuts were my biggest surprise for calories. Oh, and buffalo chicken wings...I was SO sad when I saw how high they were. They are another food that are on my once a month or every other month list.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Another one that surprised me.

Bagels. Sure, eat one and it's a lump in your gut. An hour later, hungry again.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Most recently - babyback ribs. Holey moley!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    everything...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Effing breakfast cereal/muesli. Seriously, they should put a giant red warning on those.

LULZ- 2 servings of Special K- w/ red berries is 62 grams- and I think it's like 300 calories with no milk... meh- you get used to seeing it- food "costs" more than we thing- but we shoudlnt' be sitting around doing nothing either to maintain a crazy low calorie consumption- even at 1500 I ate pretty well- and I was cutting- you just have to make room for it.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Pretty much shocked by the calories in most everything I ate before I started here but what surprised me the most was sodium in foods, especially deli lunch meats and in anything you get at a restaurant. To the person who loves cheese, I adore Weight Watchers string cheese and one is only 50 calories.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    everything...

and this too!!
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    Oh, and buffalo chicken wings...I was SO sad when I saw how high they were. They are another food that are on my once a month or every other month list.

DITTO!!! I use to go for wing night every Thursday. Not so much anymore :brokenheart: