edward_scissorhands_yes.gif

Love it.

How_you_doin'.gif

dasfunny!

are you going to lunge commando for me?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    But that's just it. If we want people to accept that there is no set definition of feminine then we also have to accept that there is no set definition of masculine either. Some dudes are naturally small and skinny. Sure they could lift for years, take weight gainers, creatine, etc, and make the most of what they could do, but do they HAVE to just to be accepted and attractive? That's just as bad as saying naturally large women need to try to be smaller.

as much as I hate to admit it (because I prefer- like- manly men types) this is totally valid.

I often say being feminine has nothing to do with how you dress or what you put on your body- but your attitude and how you conduct yourself- and I think the same could be said for being "masculine"

I do not have an issue with saying there is such a thing as being feminine or masculine- but I find it's a state of mind- or a code of conduct- not your gender - not your clothes- or your size.

So even a small child can be masculine by just choosing to do a certain thing.

I like people to be genuine- that's more important- genuine and confident- whatever that means- go with it.

I agree. I always bring that up because my husband is not a big man. He's 5'9". He wrestled at 135lbs in high school. He did all those things (weight gainers, lifting for years) and at 40 he's now around 160 regularly. But he's very "masculine" in spite of not being "big". He has a confident, dominant, take charge, accept no bull**** personality. He's physical, strong, fast, competitive. He never avoids conflict or backs down from anyone (no matter the other person's size). He's also very fuzzy.

And for that matter my 3 year old son is also "masculine". He climbs, jumps off things, grunts, tries to talk in a growly man voice, etc. He's just much more physical and tough than his sisters (and trust me, I don't predisposition girls to be extra "girly").

**Although I don't know. Maybe we are still better off not defining it. If we define it as a personality then that leaves out those men who are sensitive, vulnerable, and cuddly and implies men should suppress their feelings, etc, which is also an unfortunate thing in our society.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Beastly women make me bulky.

Love it.

How_you_doin'.gif

dasfunny!

Commando? Hell naw!
    4k1hKv
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Love it.

How_you_doin'.gif

dasfunny!

Commando? Hell naw!
    4k1hKv

Frickin Hilarious!!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Love it.

How_you_doin'.gif

dasfunny!

Commando? Hell naw!
    4k1hKv
    *I'm Chandler... Could I be wearing any more clothes?!*:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just indoctrinated by the media's output of what women should look like. But nonetheless, I wouldn't ever aim for any of the bodies I've seen here.
    You are swayed by media. Young girls are hit ALL the time starting from grade school on how a female "should" look. And it doesn't help that Hollywood portrays very thin women as physiques that young women should shoot for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

No snark intended, but yeah, that's what I said...not certain where you were going with this. It is not news to me that my aesthetic preferences are shaped by the world around me. So are yours, as you have obviously become accustomed to the look of a muscular woman. That doesn't make either of them wrong, necessarily, although of course if my aesthetic ideal can only be reached at the expense of my health that would be problematic. As it is, though, that's not the case, and so aesthetic preferences can remain something we all choose for ourselves no matter from where those preferences stem.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm the only woman I know who's is trying to put on muscle, I'm wanting to bulk up. I've been skinny and it really sucked. I'm also described regularly as being 'girly' .
    I had a strength program devised for me recently and even though I told the trainer I was really fit and wanted to get strong and build muscle he still created a really easy program mostly using the weight machines and light dumbbells.
    I'm going for a new new strength program on Saturday and I've been told to to tell the trainers 'don't treat me like a girl'.
    oh hai

join our play pen

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk
    Nice one! Thanks for the heads up.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If women with muscles look like men....

do men without muscles look like women???

Are those mens the ones that wear the tight pants? Then I would say yes.

foot ball players wear tight pants... they don't look like women.

I don't know of any football players who don't have muscles.

Kickers! Or wait...do they count as football players?

Steve Weatherford, punter:

steve-weatherford_main3.jpg

Most NFL kickers are not lean because they have no need to be for speed and agility. You're crazy if you don't think you need muscles to kick a football 60 yards.

I totally had a whole reply for this thread...but saw this pic and cant...make....sentence
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    By the way, here is Camille, for those who don't know who I'm talking about:

574710_3084767159684_1006065122_n-e1362419130468.jpg

Where form meets function....

(I sound like I'm doing a TV commercial for "Strong is the new skinny", lol.)

Imho: Beautiful woman...totally hot legs.

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    But that's just it. If we want people to accept that there is no set definition of feminine then we also have to accept that there is no set definition of masculine either. Some dudes are naturally small and skinny. Sure they could lift for years, take weight gainers, creatine, etc, and make the most of what they could do, but do they HAVE to just to be accepted and attractive? That's just as bad as saying naturally large women need to try to be smaller.

Love.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

Depends what the person wants for their own body. I'm one of those guys starting out skinny...I'm just lifting, eating a lot of good food, and enjoying the muscle and strength gains. I've always wanted an athletic body, and finally started putting in the work needed to get it. It's what I truly want. I don't care what other people think about it. And some girls have even tried to tell me I shouldn't lift to get bigger and stronger, that I should stay the way I am. Well you know what? I have to do what *I* want, not what someone else wants.

Other guys might be happy staying skinny and weak. More power to them...we're all individuals and should do what we want...whether we're male or female...younger or older.

(Btw, I don't really believe in protein powders, weight gainers, creatine, etc. Good quality real food is my workout supplement of choice.)
  • arabellaflagg
    arabellaflagg Posts: 28 Member
    Options

as much as I hate to admit it (because I prefer- like- manly men types) this is totally valid.

I often say being feminine has nothing to do with how you dress or what you put on your body- but your attitude and how you conduct yourself- and I think the same could be said for being "masculine"

I do not have an issue with saying there is such a thing as being feminine or masculine- but I find it's a state of mind- or a code of conduct- not your gender - not your clothes- or your size.

I like people to be genuine- that's more important- genuine and confident- whatever that means- go with it.

I agree. I always bring that up because my husband is not a big man. He's 5'9". He wrestled at 135lbs in high school. He did all those things (weight gainers, lifting for years) and at 40 he's now around 160 regularly. But he's very "masculine" in spite of not being "big". He has a confident, dominant, take charge, accept no bull**** personality. He's physical, strong, fast, competitive. He never avoids conflict or backs down from anyone (no matter the other person's size). He's also very fuzzy.

And for that matter my 3 year old son is also "masculine". He climbs, jumps off things, grunts, tries to talk in a growly man voice, etc. He's just much more physical and tough than his sisters (and trust me, I don't predisposition girls to be extra "girly").

**Although I don't know. Maybe we are still better off not defining it. If we define it as a personality then that leaves out those men who are sensitive, vulnerable, and cuddly and implies men should suppress their feelings, etc, which is also an unfortunate thing in our society.

It's probably a lost in translation sort of thing but that description does your hubby no favors. It's very important to know when to avoid confrontation and to have the confidence to back down when there's good reason to. Your choice of words makes poor hubby seem like a cartoon character 'alpha' male. Lol! It's the balance of the masculine/feminine in all of us that makes us able to function. A guy who never avoids confrontation ends up in hospital or jail , a woman who is too submissive allows herself or her kids to be taken advantage of. So each of us has to have a mix of the 'masculine' and 'feminine' if we want to call it that.

To add to your last paragraph I would say those characteristics can and do exist together with the aformentioned 'masculine' characteristics in most men. It's not an either or and that's why labels and boxes do us all a disservice. A strong, physical, 'macho' guy can come home and be vulnerable with his family and cry over his ill mama and cuddle his spouse and not be an ounce less masculine and a woman can be confident , take charge and take no BS (I don't think dominance is a good trait in anyone) and still extend 'feminine' empathy to her staff, nurture her family, cry at TV shows, be kind and tender hearted.

We're all shades of grey;-)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

It's probably a lost in translation sort of thing but that description does your hubby no favors. It's very important to know when to avoid confrontation and to have the confidence to back down when there's good reason to. Your choice of words makes poor hubby seem like a cartoon character 'alpha' male. Lol! It's the balance of the masculine/feminine in all of us that makes us able to function. A guy who never avoids confrontation ends up in hospital or jail , a woman who is too submissive allows herself or her kids to be taken advantage of. So each of us has to have a mix of the 'masculine' and 'feminine' if we want to call it that.

To add to your last paragraph I would say those characteristics can and do exist together with the aformentioned 'masculine' characteristics in most men. It's not an either or and that's why labels and boxes do us all a disservice. A strong, physical, 'macho' guy can come home and be vulnerable with his family and cry over his ill mama and cuddle his spouse and not be an ounce less masculine and a woman can be confident , take charge and take no BS (I don't think dominance is a good trait in anyone) and still extend 'feminine' empathy to her staff, nurture her family, cry at TV shows, be kind and tender hearted.

I was avoiding the use of the word "alpha" (because there's some huge douch canoes on the board that claim to be) but it's true, it is a pretty good description of him. He doesn't avoid confrontation, and doesn't back down but he isn't cruel, mean or violent. He doesn't pick fights, and hasn't gotten into any since he was a young man. People tend to respect him and like him, sometimes looking to him for leadership. He very kind and loving and even romantic (he actually likes Valentine's Day which I wish he didn't). He's more the "leader" type of alpha, not the "bully" type which are two different things, and I don't really think the "bully" type is really an "alpha", just some one who wants to be. Maybe "dominant" was the wrong word to us. And I am most definitely NOT submissive. He doesn't control me in anyway.

*ETA: Actually, ya know what? I regret making that post. That just so happens to be his personality and it's attractive to me and so maybe to me I therefore think it's "manly". It has nothing to do with masculine and feminine. Again, we should just stop using those words and let men and women be whomever and however they want.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

I was avoiding the use of the word "alpha" (because there's some huge douch canoes on the board that claim to be) but it's true, it is a pretty good description of him. He doesn't avoid confrontation, and doesn't back down but he isn't cruel, mean or violent. He doesn't pick fights, and hasn't gotten into any since he was a young man. People tend to respect him and like him, sometimes looking to him for leadership. He very kind and loving and even romantic (he actually likes Valentine's Day which I wish he didn't). He's more the "leader" type of alpha, not the "bully" type which are two different things, and I don't really think the "bully" type is really an "alpha", just some one who wants to be. Maybe "dominant" was the wrong word to us. And I am most definitely NOT submissive. He doesn't control me in anyway.

I applaud you for staying away from that word. As a guy, I feel that the alpha-beta thing we're so obsessed with is absolute nonsense. And, I must say, the description of your husband did not sound anything like the negative (yet unfortunately celebrated by today's society) alpha-bad-boy tool archetype that many claim is a "real man" when it actually is not. Clearly, he is not that, but is something a whole lot better...in fact, he sounds like what I strive to be.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Well thank you. I obviously like him. A lot. Of course he's not perfect (he can be a moody *****) but he tries really hard to be a good person.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • arabellaflagg
    arabellaflagg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yep he sounds much better now! Lol!
    I too hate the alpha-beta thing but your first description made him sound so one dimentional (to me), that I couldn't think of a better word- maybe I should have used hyper-masculine.
    Your new set of adjectives show he really is a shade of grey - kindness , romance being a good spouse are just as 'masculine' to me and I wish we told guys that more often. Maybe it would help combat the alpha-beta nonsense that as you say produces douchcanoes (great description)!!

I suppose the biggest problem is that if masculine = dominant then feminine = submissive, masculine= confidence then feminine= no confidence if we follow the binary. I have a niece and nephew and take care of them quite a bit. The parents are unfortunately not the best example for them so I do my best to try and instill values and this is one that's hard to navigate.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    balki2.jpg

HTH
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes. I completely agree with this. If I had to choose a fitness pro whose body is close to what I'm trying to achieve, it would be Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet. And I've had guys tell me, upon seeing her picture, that her arms are too big. Too big for what? Her arms support the work she does. It's not like she went out and tried to get huge arms. That's just what happens when you do what she does. Is she supposed to not do something she's great at because it might give her arms that some people think are "too big?" That's ridiculous.

By the way, here is Camille, for those who don't know who I'm talking about:

574710_3084767159684_1006065122_n-e1362419130468.jpg

It's going to take me a bit of time to be comfortable with the arm definition I have uncovered since I have been losing weight . My arms are looking quite a lot like hers and I must admit that I am not used to looking so muscular. She doesn't look bad it's just not what I am used to seeing when I look in the mirror.

First given all the "attitude" most women seem to have about any sort of muscle definition, it is very comforting to read the comments posted here and to see a woman like Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet.

Second, I feel the same way as you, Koldnomore, when I see myself in the mirrors at the gym. Even though they've been that way for a year, the definition in my arms still makes me pause and I wonder if the other women in the gym think I'm a "freak " or that it's so "unfeminine" or "gross". I love my arms simply because it shows the dedication and hard work that I have put into my body. I love feeling strong and looking that I am strong.

I wish my legs would follow suit, but I know they are getting better and that it's a matter of me cleaning up my diet. I always fall off the proverbial wagon on the weekends! Damn my love of craft beers!

Really great thread and thank you Ascrit for sharing the article!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm not either bulky OR beautifully defined like Camille, but I'm still a lot stronger than I look. I work at the customer service desk at Walmart and I constantly used to hear things like "You can't lift that, wait for one of the guys to do it for you" about used car batteries, 50 lb containers of litter, huge bags of rice or birdseed, 30lb barbells, etc. Of course, this means that I pick it up and walk away with it immediately. My co-workers don't say that to me anymore. Especially after one of them asked if I could lift her--and I did.

So you don't have to get "bulky" or even exceptionally muscular, to be strong.