Yet another reason to avoid Subway

Options

Replies

• beallh
    beallh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    what else the chemical is used in is irrelevant.

If it causes some type of cancer, other disease, bad health when ingested, then lets take it out.
    But when people try to change public opinion of a entire chain or type of bread because one of the chemicals is used in the same material as yoga mats? Thats ridiculous. Everything is made of chemicals. The beauty of chemicals (and chemistry (science!) in general) is that they can be mixed together with other chemicals in different ways to form two amazingly different things, that have no relation to one another. Example bread and yoga mats.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    "Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain."

Nothing to do with Subway. Simply related to the New Yorker Subway owner's inability to keep a clean store.

Subway is one, if not the easiest franchise to open. This likely leads to many bad owners which leads to closures. Better screening and being more selective of franchisees by subway's corporate offices as well as better monitoring of the stores once they open would probably help.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't yoga mat chemicals be labeled as healthy?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

They also put dihydrogen monoxide into antifreeze too...
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yeah...okay....make your own bread then! :wink:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Same starting material, but the azodicarbonamide is converted to one thing in yoga mats and other plastics, while it gets converted to something else during the baking process.

I'm sure we don't need it in bread (it's used to bleach the flour) (wonder what they use in Europe instead???). But don't get panicked just because it is "used to make yoga mats". Also, remember that the dose makes the poison.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with Subway….except for the fact that IT'S A SUBWAY :bigsmile:

Sure it's up to location management, but companies have a duty to set and maintain standards.
    "Here in NYC, more Subways CLOSE COMPLETELY due to health code violations than any other national chain."

Nothing to do with Subway. Simply related to the New Yorker Subway owner's inability to keep a clean store.
  • jt_alucard
    jt_alucard Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

dihydrogen monoxide is teh leading cuase of cancer...some bad stuff...can lead to drowning too....
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hey @ TheRightWeigh Thanks! :blushing:
  • katyanne15
    katyanne15 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    haha good one.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding Subway for months since my boyfriend found the leg of a cockroach in the sandwich after he took a bite. We still don't know if the crunchiness on his sandwich was due to the bread or because he ate a roach :laugh:

Since then I try to avoid Subway as much as I can!

:laugh: :indifferent: :sick:
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am on my way to Subway now...hey when I gotta eat I gotta eat and I rather it be subway than mcdonalds lol. There's people out there who eat moth balls and couch cushions, im sure this here wont kill me

just tryna be funny
  • katyanne15
    katyanne15 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hahahaha good one
    will i burn more calories if i eat yoga mat materials?
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a Subway sandwich. The ones in my town seem to be clean. They have A's on the door.
    And I see them change the knife each time they make a sandwich. They have a whole stack of knives, and get a clean one for each sandwich. At least when I'm there, which is what counts for me.
    I don't personally know anyone that has gotten food poisoning at Subway. So, Subway will continue to be on me meal plan.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    wow that is ridiculous. but at least they are changing it though. good thing i don't go there very often lol
  • raqueldaisy
    raqueldaisy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just had Subway for lunch. Yummy yoga mat

LOL!!!!
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding Subway for months since my boyfriend found the leg of a cockroach in the sandwich after he took a bite. We still don't know if the crunchiness on his sandwich was due to the bread or because he ate a roach :laugh:

Since then I try to avoid Subway as much as I can!

Oh God, NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE *flies awayyyy*
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Just had Subway for lunch. Yummy yoga mat

Me too and it was good!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azodicarbonamide
    Azodicarbonamide is used as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. It reacts with moist flour as an oxidizing agent.[2] The main reaction product is biurea,[3] a derivative of urea, which is stable during baking. Secondary reaction products include semicarbazide[4] and ethyl carbamate.[5] The United States and Canada permit the use of azodicarbonamide at levels up to 45 ppm.[6][7]
    In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitizer (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with "May cause sensitisation by inhalation."[11] The World Health Organization has linked azodicarbonamide to "respiratory issues, allergies and asthma."
    Toxicological studies of the reactions of azodicarbonamide show that it is rapidly converted in dough to biurea, which is a stable compound not decomposed upon cooking.[13]

So?

I've heard of worse things put in the food you find at chain restaurants and things people put in their coffee every day!