Yet another reason to avoid Subway

Options

Replies

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Subway anymore. The last time I went which was about a week ago they tried to charge the full price of a drink for a water cup. I just asked for water. I did not want chips, cookies or soda. They said that they don't have water cups: wither buy the bottle of water or buy the drink cup to fill it with tap water.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!
    YOU WANT ME TO PAY FOR TAP WATER?????????????????????????
    Seems reasonable to me. Their materials cost them (the store) money. We don't go to any other type of merchant and expect to be given something free. I can't go to Border's or Barnes and Noble and take away one of the New York Times bestsellers for nothing. This is not your friend's house..it's a business.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    what else the chemical is used in is irrelevant.

If it causes some type of cancer, other disease, bad health when ingested, then lets take it out.
    But when people try to change public opinion of a entire chain or type of bread because one of the chemicals is used in the same material as yoga mats? Thats ridiculous. Everything is made of chemicals. The beauty of chemicals (and chemistry (science!) in general) is that they can be mixed together with other chemicals in different ways to form two amazingly different things, that have no relation to one another. Example bread and yoga mats.
    You, I like you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

Studies have shown that 100% of people who consume dihydrogen monoxide die.

Really? Can you provide links to those studies?

Dihydrogen monoxide. My favorite killer.

Seriously? I think it would be a horrible way to die. But I still doubt the existence of the studies mentioned above.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Meh...I'd rather have Penn Station or Quiznos.

Wait.....those are safe....right?

W2NWmK
    Welcome to mindhead...welcome to mindhead...welcome to mindhead

The pic is straight-up awesome...
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I also heard many soda companies put dihydrogen monoxide in their drinks, a chemical which is also found in herbicides, poisons and acids!

On a serious note, where else it is used in is completely irrelevant and fear mongering. It's a normal food additive and only recently been removed from usage in the UK, EU and Australia because it might be linked to asthma and allergies.

Studies have shown that 100% of people who consume dihydrogen monoxide die.

Really? Can you provide links to those studies?

Dihydrogen monoxide. My favorite killer.

Seriously? I think it would be a horrible way to die. But I still doubt the existence of the studies mentioned above.

*facepalm*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Apparently, for years Subway has been using an ingredient in its bread called azodicarbonamide. This chemical is also found in yoga mats and shoe rubber. I would imagine that it was used because there is some kind of cost benefit (yay capitalism!) but luckily the info was uncovered and Subway is changing its ways:
    http://business.time.com/2014/02/06/subway-chemical-bread-yoga-mat-rubber/

It makes me wonder what other chemicals Subway is using in its ingredients and if any of them can be trusted. Personally, I would rather get a sandwich from my local Italian deli anyway, it may have more calories but at least I know what's in it...

I just went over this with a friend on FB. Did you look up what the chemical is?

wiki says-
    "Azodicarbonamide is used as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. It reacts with moist flour as an oxidizing agent.[2] The main reaction product is biurea,[3] a derivative of urea, which is stable during baking. Secondary reaction products include semicarbazide[4] and ethyl carbamate.[5] The United States and Canada permit the use of azodicarbonamide at levels up to 45 ppm.[6][7] In Australia, the UK , and Europe the use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned[8] . In Singapore, use is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $450,000"

It's not illegal and you're probably eating it still if you consume any kind of bread product.

Media has become lazy and sensationalistic. The reports that do no define what azodicarbonamide is - is bad reporting.

I found a list of products that contain this ingredient:

Azodicarbonamide is found in...

Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns
    Packaged Entrees
    Biscuits and Rolls
    Sliced White Bread
    Sliced Whole Grain Bread
    Frozen Sides and Appetizers
    Baking Doughs
    English Muffins
    Cakes, Pastries and Pies
    Frozen Meals
    Whole Loaf Bread
    Bagels
    Toaster Pastries
    Frozen Breakfast
    Croutons, Stuffings, & Bread Crumbs
    Wheat-based Pasta
    Frozen Seafood
    Starch-Based Sides
    Pizza Crusts
    Toddler Snacks
    Flatbread & Pita
    Cookies

So, unless you are going to do your own baking, you are sure to get this chemical in something else besides Subway's bread.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Don't be fooled.
    This is an excellent marketing opportunity.
    They can have this big to-do over this chemical, then remove it from their bread and re-introduce their brand again.

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. Genius.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here and be on my way.

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

...thought these things had arsenic too, but I think that's only if you eat the seeds....
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

If it causes some type of cancer, other disease, bad health when ingested, then lets take it out.
    But when people try to change public opinion of a entire chain or type of bread because one of the chemicals is used in the same material as yoga mats? Thats ridiculous. Everything is made of chemicals. The beauty of chemicals (and chemistry (science!) in general) is that they can be mixed together with other chemicals in different ways to form two amazingly different things, that have no relation to one another. Example bread and yoga mats.

Sure, everything is made of chemicals – I think the chemicals concocted by men in laboratories are primarily the ones people are concerned about.

Grandma made bread using flour, milk, water, yeast, sugar, and salt. I’ll double-check her cookbook, but I’m fairly certain that the compound in yoga mats wasn’t on her grocery list. So why is Subway using it? To benefit the consumer in some way? Not really – everything added is designed to make the bread more profitable in some manner, by either extending its shelf life, making it a more bready color, making it taste more like Subway thinks bread should taste, or otherwise making it more bread-like.

Hey, I know what makes bread taste, feel, and look more bread-like –making it with the basic ingredients that have been used to make bread for thousands of years! Ooohhhh, I’m such a radical…
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Don't be fooled.
    This is an excellent marketing opportunity.
    They can have this big to-do over this chemical, then remove it from their bread and re-introduce their brand again.

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. Genius.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. They will use this to give them a competitive edge.

"Eat at Subway. Our bread is chemical-free, unlike our competitors *cough*QuiznosFirehouseSubsJimmieJohns*cough*."
  • HelloAmbie
    HelloAmbie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    At subway we had instances where customers came down with food poisoning, and I know it was due to neglect of other employees. It was horrific. Managers would leave chili on the counter overnight, and turn it back on in the morning. They put a lot of faith in those 5minutes to clock-out time temperature readings. Most employees would not bother to do it, they would just write an in range temperature in every box. I am sure this isn't typical of every store, but it was enough to disgust me into quitting. I did file a complaint to corporate, they questioned the managers, nothing was resolved.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    lol yes! yummy veggies wrapped in a yoga mat.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Apparently, for years Subway has been using an ingredient in its bread called azodicarbonamide. This chemical is also found in yoga mats and shoe rubber. I would imagine that it was used because there is some kind of cost benefit (yay capitalism!) but luckily the info was uncovered and Subway is changing its ways:
    http://business.time.com/2014/02/06/subway-chemical-bread-yoga-mat-rubber/

It makes me wonder what other chemicals Subway is using in its ingredients and if any of them can be trusted. Personally, I would rather get a sandwich from my local Italian deli anyway, it may have more calories but at least I know what's in it...

I just went over this with a friend on FB. Did you look up what the chemical is?

wiki says-
    "Azodicarbonamide is used as a food additive, a flour bleaching agent and improving agent. It reacts with moist flour as an oxidizing agent.[2] The main reaction product is biurea,[3] a derivative of urea, which is stable during baking. Secondary reaction products include semicarbazide[4] and ethyl carbamate.[5] The United States and Canada permit the use of azodicarbonamide at levels up to 45 ppm.[6][7] In Australia, the UK , and Europe the use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned[8] . In Singapore, use is punishable by up to 15 years in prison and a fine of $450,000"

It's not illegal and you're probably eating it still if you consume any kind of bread product.

Media has become lazy and sensationalistic. The reports that do no define what azodicarbonamide is - is bad reporting.

I found a list of products that contain this ingredient:

Azodicarbonamide is found in...

Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns
    Packaged Entrees
    Biscuits and Rolls
    Sliced White Bread
    Sliced Whole Grain Bread
    Frozen Sides and Appetizers
    Baking Doughs
    English Muffins
    Cakes, Pastries and Pies
    Frozen Meals
    Whole Loaf Bread
    Bagels
    Toaster Pastries
    Frozen Breakfast
    Croutons, Stuffings, & Bread Crumbs
    Wheat-based Pasta
    Frozen Seafood
    Starch-Based Sides
    Pizza Crusts
    Toddler Snacks
    Flatbread & Pita
    Cookies

So, unless you are going to do your own baking, you are sure to get this chemical in something else besides Subway's bread.

:happy:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Sure, everything is made of chemicals – I think the chemicals concocted by men in laboratories are primarily the ones people are concerned about.

Grandma made bread using flour, milk, water, yeast, sugar, and salt. I’ll double-check her cookbook, but I’m fairly certain that the compound in yoga mats wasn’t on her grocery list. So why is Subway using it? To benefit the consumer in some way? Not really – everything added is designed to make the bread more profitable in some manner, by either extending its shelf life, making it a more bready color, making it taste more like Subway thinks bread should taste, or otherwise making it more bread-like.

Hey, I know what makes bread taste, feel, and look more bread-like –making it with the basic ingredients that have been used to make bread for thousands of years! Ooohhhh, I’m such a radical…

Yeah, it makes the bread lighter, fluffier, and moister.

Actually, I'm going to be pissed if Subway's bread starts to suck now, like when BK changed their french fry grease to that Oleo crap.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

But what people are saying is that just because something is a 'manmade chemical' doesn't necessarily make it harmful or worse for you than a 'natural' chemical.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    But what people are saying is that just because something is a 'manmade chemical' doesn't necessarily make it harmful or worse for you than a 'natural' chemical.

Of course not, there are countless manmade chemicals that are beneficial.

Some MFP users tend to theorize “everything is made of chemicals, so chemicals are therefore great!” - I think this is a mind-blowing over generalization and not at all relevant in a discussion of food additives.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Some MFP users tend to theorize “everything is made of chemicals, so chemicals are therefore great!” - I think this is a mind-blowing over generalization and not at all relevant in a discussion of food additives.

The only reason why we are having this discussion is because the UK, Australia (who pretty much falls in line with the UK), and I think one other country banned this chemical on the basis of some studies produced that correlated a link between this chemical and asthma. Correlation is not causation, and the FDA is less inclined to put faith in studies that have not fully established causation.

In other words, the only thing supporting the belief that this particular chemical bears some negative effects is entirely political.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

??

I've never seen anyone even hint that "everything is made of chemicals, so chemicals are therefore great!".

I've seen plenty of "Ooo! I can't pronounce it! Therefore, it must be bad!" and "Oh, that was made/purified in a lab, it must be bad."
  • charlicee
    Options
    If you don't like what's in the bread, don't eat it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    THAT explains it! No wonder my yoga was so much better when I was eating Subway everyday last year!