Biggest Loser Finale

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You know what's truly funny?

Biggest Loser has been promoting unsafe, unrealistic, extreme weigh loss tactics all along, but no one seemed to care until someone started LOOKING unhealthy.
    No one gave a s^hit about all the vomiting because of physical exhaustion, the incredibly low calorie diets, etc. That chick who won did it the same way everyone else did, she just did it a little bit longer.

I am just saying, no one took offense to her drastic methods until the results were showing on her body.

Yepyepyep.

IMO, it's a horrid show justifying its promotion of unsafe weight loss tactics as giving hope to the masses.

Agreed. Have always felt this way. I have a friend who has an acquaintance who was in the show for a short period. He came back aghast, saying he would continue his own weightloss but that it was too crazy for him.

Other contestants (not actual BL staff) were promoting and suggesting such ridiculousness as eating cotton balls soaked in orange juice.

The whole thing perpetuates a really unhealthy mentality.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Biggest Loser has been promoting unsafe, unrealistic, extreme weigh loss tactics all along, but no one seemed to care until someone started LOOKING unhealthy.
    No one gave a s^hit about all the vomiting because of physical exhaustion, the incredibly low calorie diets, etc. That chick who won did it the same way everyone else did, she just did it a little bit longer.

I am just saying, no one took offense to her drastic methods until the results were showing on her body.

Yepyepyep.

IMO, it's a horrid show justifying its promotion of unsafe weight loss tactics as giving hope to the masses.

Agreed. Have always felt this way. I have a friend who has an acquaintance who was in the show for a short period. He came back aghast, saying he would continue his own weightloss but that it was too crazy for him.

Other contestants (not actual BL staff) were promoting and suggesting such ridiculousness as eating cotton balls soaked in orange juice.

The whole thing perpetuates a really unhealthy mentality.

Orange juice-soaked cotton balls?!?! :noway:

And I agree with all of the above. I stopped watching the show long ago because of it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people are saying those who are concerned are skinny shaming. If a person is looking sickly, no matter what size, people will say "They lost too much" or "They gained too much"

The premise of the show is to lose the most amount of weight in said time frame. She did that, though unhealthy, that is what it is about. All you can really do is hope that the show changes how it works so that unhealthy weight loss is not promoted when they say their focus is on being healthy.

This is really why I would much rather watch Chris Powell's show because it is one on one. It is about that person's HEALTH! He will tell them when they are going to far and look into how he can help them. Its a more realistic approach for those who want to watch people lose weight and be healthy at the same time.

About the body shaming aspect. It's just when people say she looks gross or if they start extending it beyond just her and making universal statements about all women. Things like that.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am really shocked by the reaction that people are having about this. She is 5'4" and 105, BMI of 18 which is just barely in the underweight range, about 4 pounds and she is in the healthy range. You people do remember that she was trying to win 250k? I find it very ironic that a bunch of fat people have no issue railing against someone who the "think" lost too much weight. If a bunch of skinny people started railing against someone for GAINING too much weight, I wonder if I would see the same reaction, I doubt it. I thought she was beautiful and my guess is she will add a few pounds back now that it is over. Society has accepted fat as normal.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was impressed by her determination and perseverance. I have never seen such a dramatic weight transformation like that before.
    However, I do think she lost too much weight and looked so thin, her face almost looked anorexic.

I do think that people are forgetting that the Biggest Loser is a Competition with a BIG prize. When there is money at stake, people will go to greta lengths. 250k is A LOT of money! She probably went home and had five Big Macs.
  • time4me2change14
    time4me2change14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am really shocked by the reaction that people are having about this. She is 5'4" and 105, BMI of 18 which is just barely in the underweight range, about 4 pounds and she is in the healthy range. You people do remember that she was trying to win 250k? I find it very ironic that a bunch of fat people have no issue railing against someone who the "think" lost too much weight. If a bunch of skinny people started railing against someone for GAINING too much weight, I wonder if I would see the same reaction, I doubt it. I thought she was beautiful and my guess is she will add a few pounds back now that it is over. Society has accepted fat as normal.

You are completely and totally wrong. Its not just a bunch of "fat" people sitting around hating on her because of the fact she lost all the weight. We are not stupid, we know WHY she did it. Unacceptable that Biggest Loser even lets that happen. If you seen the same person the rest of us did on the show and in the pictures you would see that she is too small. Even the trainers, even her own trainer says she is unhealthy. BMI aside, look at her, she really took it too far. They need to set new rules in place so that they can not go below the lowest weight for their own body.

I have zero against skinny people. I was one! I am not here hating all skinny people. I would have the same concern for someone who gained too much weight and was looking in poor health. So don't be jumping on people for being concerned about her and the type of example it sets. When fitness trainers are out right concerned about her that HAS to count for something.

BTW, the trainers and the shows dr was not with her during the last part of her journey so they had no idea. The show thought she was too skinny and even thought about not allowing her to go out but then they thought they could get away with it, put her out there, and when the outcry of concern came in, they knew they did do wrong. So its not just a bunch of fat people concerned
  • prattiger65
    Options

You are completely and totally wrong. Its not just a bunch of "fat" people sitting around hating on her because of the fact she lost all the weight. We are not stupid, we know WHY she did it. Unacceptable that Biggest Loser even lets that happen. If you seen the same person the rest of us did on the show and in the pictures you would see that she is too small. Even the trainers, even her own trainer says she is unhealthy. BMI aside, look at her, she really took it too far. They need to set new rules in place so that they can not go below the lowest weight for their own body.

I have zero against skinny people. I was one! I am not here hating all skinny people. I would have the same concern for someone who gained too much weight and was looking in poor health. So don't be jumping on people for being concerned about her and the type of example it sets. When fitness trainers are out right concerned about her that HAS to count for something.

BTW, the trainers and the shows dr was not with her during the last part of her journey so they had no idea. The show thought she was too skinny and even thought about not allowing her to go out but then they thought they could get away with it, put her out there, and when the outcry of concern came in, they knew they did do wrong. So its not just a bunch of fat people concerned

That could be the .most nonsense I have read in one place in quite a while. You are mAking quite a few assumptions and stating as fact, your opinion. You have no idea what the trainers or doctors or the show thought, your guessing at why their facial expressions meant. Her own trainer says she is unhealthy? Could you link this for me? I would love to read it. Get over yourself.
  • time4me2change14
    Options

That could be the .most nonsense I have read in one place in quite a while. You are mAking quite a few assumptions and stating as fact, your opinion. You have no idea what the trainers or doctors or the show thought, your guessing at why their facial expressions meant. Her own trainer says she is unhealthy? Could you link this for me? I would love to read it. Get over yourself.

Look him up on facebook and see where he says she is still on her journey to getting healthy. She has taken it way too far. I am not going to link you to every single article I read where the SHOW stated their concern. The trainers have all showed concern and now Dolvett is going to try to get her "healthy" because he doesn't think that she is. But only she can do that.

You have your opinion, the rest of us have ours. Just don't go judging us saying we are only concerned because we are FAT ... when that is so far from the truth!
  • prattiger65
    Options

Look him up on facebook and see where he says she is still on her journey to getting healthy. She has taken it way too far. I am not going to link you to every single article I read where the SHOW stated their concern. The trainers have all showed concern and now Dolvett is going to try to get her "healthy" because he doesn't think that she is. But only she can do that.

You have your opinion, the rest of us have ours. Just don't go judging us saying we are only concerned because we are FAT ... when that is so far from the truth!

So really the only thing that pissed you off was me saying "fat" ......interesting.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Exactly.

It's a competition where she and a whole bunch of people with her did some things that were probably stupid to win money. She was just better at playing the game than the others. I don't watch this show for the same reason I laugh at raspberry ketones and cleanses.
  • time4me2change14
    Options

So really the only thing that pissed you off was me saying "fat" ......interesting.

No, that is not the only reason your comments upset me, seeing someone clearly unhealthy and saying its fine, she is healthy and there is nothing wrong with being underweight is what upsets me. But hey, take what you will from it.
    I know if it were my daughter, my mother, my friend, I would be just as concerned, more so, if they looked that unhealthy ... fat or otherwise. If someone looks ill, you have concern. If someone loses weight in an unhealthy manner, you are concerned. MFP wouldn't even support their strategy for weight loss, but its ok to support someone who is underweight because they did it in a competition to get money, even if it means putting their life at risk.
    I am done commenting to you personally though, I will agree to disagree with you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

No, that is not the only reason your comments upset me, seeing someone clearly unhealthy and saying its fine, she is healthy and there is nothing wrong with being underweight is what upsets me. But hey, take what you will from it.
    I know if it were my daughter, my mother, my friend, I would be just as concerned, more so, if they looked that unhealthy ... fat or otherwise. If someone looks ill, you have concern. If someone loses weight in an unhealthy manner, you are concerned. MFP wouldn't even support their strategy for weight loss, but its ok to support someone who is underweight because they did it in a competition to get money, even if it means putting their life at risk.
    I am done commenting to you personally though, I will agree to disagree with you.

Those extra four pounds are just water weight. She's gain it back for sure. Don't trip.
  • CappuccinoLover4
    Options
    I was thinking that also. For that much money...I would do about everything that I could do make sure that I was the winner. I'm hoping it was that and that the contestants end at a healthy weight, even if that means gaining some pounds.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later! I'd like to read this when I have more time.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I guess thats a downfall of starting off as a smaller contestant. Once you hit your goal weight, you have to go under just to win the competition. I would probably lose more than I needed to lose to win money.

Hopefully, she gets back to a healthy bmi now that the show is over.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The normal percentages are between 45% and 50% Sometimes over 50%. She was pretty much at 60%. Normally contestants continue to eat and workout and they look pretty good at weigh-in. They have good muscle tone. She obviously went super low on calorie or could be possible she went overboard on exercise. I would somewhat judgemental if I knew she ate like 400 calories a day. Because it is not in the best spirit of the competition. But I do not know how she did it. She did not look healthy to me..looks like she lost a lot of muscle. The girl who won 100k was by far the most impressive transformation for me. Unreal. She said she did by running. But she looked healthy and had good muscle tone.

Regardless, NBC has a problem now. How will they expect future contestants not to follow her path just to win the prize? Can they somehow regulate that?
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't watch anymore, but FWIW, I watch lots of shows where people do stupid things to their bodies for money. Survivor, as a standout, often shows people in very unhealthy, sickly states at the end.

For me, the difference is the context. The Biggest Loser reaches out to people that are overweight, and morbidly obese, and says "Let us whow you the way!" The produce guides, videos, products and suppliments that are meant to assist people in a healthy manner to get to a healthy weight. Some viewers, and I was one for a number of seasons, hold tight to every single action, diet plan, workout, and piece of advice given from Episode 1 to the Finale. I feel TBL needs to address that this contestant may have overshot her end goal.

I agree, this is also about the money. I get it. But, it is also about people's lives. And, I don't just mean the contestants.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I fear for anyone that thinks Rachel looked "awesome". I think you need to re-think your opinion of "healthy". Has anyone seen the before and afters of the models they use in magazines and how they touch up their exposed hip bones and ribs to make them look healthy? That in itself should tell you that NOBODY (not even the people that print fashion magazines) think that looks "awesome".

I understand she probably just did it for the money and hope she gains about 15-25lbs to look healthy again but I feel sorry for the others that were only trying to lose weight to look healthy instead of being driven by greed just for the cash to take it way overboard. TBL gets a lot of bad press as it is... and this is just another check on the "bad biggest loser" board. The problem is that they aren't under medical supervision/advisory when they go home... and they should be so they can keep this sort of thing from happening.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    SHE LOOKS FINE! Of course her skin looks taut, she clearly has a small frame and small bone structure, and she was carrying a LOT of excess weight! Give her skin some time to adjust and stop sagging, and she will look fine. So she has a low/underweight BMI, BFD! As I said, she has a very small frame. I'm built the same way, and when I was at my normal weight, I was always in the underweight range, about a point or so under what was considered "normal." Stop cutting her down. The poor thing has probably been made fun of for years for being fat, and now she's vilified becuase she's too thin?!?

To her critics - if you're so concerned with being avenging angels of health, step away from your f***ing computers and go volunteer your time at a pediatric hospital, or an AIDS clinic, or something that involves HELPING legitimately unhealthy people and not just tearing them down because they look different than you.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    SHE LOOKS FINE! Of course her skin looks taut, she clearly has a small frame and small bone structure, and she was carrying a LOT of excess weight! Give her skin some time to adjust and stop sagging, and she will look fine. So she has a low/underweight BMI, BFD! As I said, she has a very small frame. I'm built the same way, and when I was at my normal weight, I was always in the underweight range, about a point or so under what was considered "normal." Stop cutting her down. The poor thing has probably been made fun of for years for being fat, and now she's vilified becuase she's too thin?!?

To her critics - if you're so concerned with being avenging angels of health, step away from your f***ing computers and go volunteer your time at a pediatric hospital, or an AIDS clinic, or something that involves HELPING legitimately unhealthy people and not just tearing them down because they look different than you.

If she looked fine there wouldn't be this much outrage. People lose tons of weight all the time on the Biggest Loser.... This isn't just a case where people are used to seeing her fat and now saying shes too thin when she's in a healthy bmi... she's lower than her bmi.

She doesn't look like a starving African child or anything... she looks like she wanted to win a contest... fine. Now, put on a few pounds.