How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Clean food to me means it's not expired, it's washed if necessary...not usually found in trash.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Eating clean means eating mostly non-processed foods, meaning that there IS something called clean eating. Of course, any human being is going to eat the occasional candy and cake, but that's up to what you can handle or want to put in your system. It's not something you can do over night. Small changes make lasting results.

what do you consider non processed?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Paleo = if a caveman was alive how or what would he eat.

If a caveman was alive today he'd be shoveling in the processed food as quickly as he could. He was on opportunist who ate whatever he could get his hands on, as often as possible.

He would eat beans and ice cream and pizza and probably live at the drive thru where the nice people handed him a bag full of hot food out a window.
  • FailVibe
    Options
    Simple - I don't.

I don't believe it makes a difference in the end if I eat two cookies on a saturday night, or if I eat something fried in butter instead of olive oil.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    absolutely nothing, there is no such thing as a "clean" food. you can have what you want in moderation

^this. I eat whatever I like but weigh everything and aim to meet my macros. The majority of the time I naturally gravitate toward unprocessed nutrient dense options & I love cooking and preparing all my own meals so mostly use fresh produce, but if I want something pre-prepared or processed I'll have it so long as it fits in. Likewise, if I take the time to bake a filthy great big death-by-chocolate cake for my family or friends you can damn well be sure I'll be enjoying it with them, not watching them eat it without me :smile:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I wash all my hands and food before I eat it.

You stole my answer :angry:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just eat food lol. I hate this term. Just eat better in general (more fruits, veggies, whole grains). Enough w/the labels! I simply balance my diet now. I eat lower calorie foods most of the time, but I still have "cheat" days. Treat it like a lifestyle change. Eat in a fashion that you can sustain for the rest of your life, while still maintaining your weight and staying healthy.

^She knows what's up
    Yup. +1
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Clean to me means tracking calories and macros and keeping food to a minimum. Dirty is eat as much of and whatever you like. Nice way to gain 20lbs in 5 weeks.

uhh food to a minimum? Dafuq?

I believe the poster just meant that for them, eating clean means eating within their calories and hitting their macros, and eating dirty means eating whatever without regard to macros/intake.

That's the problem with "eating clean". Everyone has different definitions. Since I don't consider any food "dirty", I would agree with that poster's statement assuming I am correct in what they meant by their post.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Generally it means whole foods and minimally processed foods. I would look into IIFYM which basically follow that philosophy but include a percentage of what people would consider dirty foods like fast food and processed food, it helps with diet adherence.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Simple - I don't.

I don't believe it makes a difference in the end if I eat two cookies on a saturday night, or if I eat something fried in butter instead of olive oil.

This is almost like the 'a calorie is not a calorie' argument... It depends how much attention you want to pay to the nutritional value of your diet. It depends what you mean when you say 'makes a difference' and when you think 'in the end' is.

Of course it's healthier if you fried your Saturday night treat in olive oil instead of butter. Are you physically going to feel the difference on a one off? No, probably not. Is your body going to know on the inside what you've done? Absolutely.

The nutritional composition of healthier, more 'basic/natural' foods quite simply do make an impact because they're supplying your body with the nutrients it needs to complete all it's wonderful functions.

Do a month of sticking to your calories eating nothing but junk, then another with more natural/healthier foods and I guarantee you'd feel so much different. I know I have since changing my diet.

Add: I don't eat 100% 'clean' 100% of the time. Do I eat burgers? You bet your sweet butt I do. Do I drink beer? Frequently. Do I feel good about myself when I've had a super day of sticking to fresh/whole foods? Equally yes.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body.
    This isn't a good "criteria" for avoiding food. What if someone sucks in reading? Chemical makeup of whole foods have multiple chemicals that many can't pronounce.
    Clean eating typically increases performance.
    "Dirty" eating that meets one's macro/micro nutrient profile wouldn't hinder performance. Many Olympians aren't "clean" eaters since their calorie demands are very high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey for the past 4 months with awesome results. As i begin my new workout regiment that a RL buddy is helping me put together for Strength Training, I keep hearing him, and others through research, mention "keeping it clean". Now being the noob i am, i assume i know what they are all saying cause no one ever really says what they mean, but, I want to get a feel from my new extended family.....

What does "keeping it clean" mean for you in terms of nutritional intake?!?!

CK

It means nothing. Don't be pressured into not eating foods you want to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    absolutely nothing, there is no such thing as a "clean" food. you can have what you want in moderation
    THIS. If you talk to anyone who has a certain belief in eating, they all may have different views on what's "clean".

Vegans think meat isn't clean
    Paleo thinks that legumes aren't clean
    Bodybuilders think that bread and dairy aren't clean
    Low carbers think any "white" product isn't clean

and on and on.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SoTiredOfMe
    SoTiredOfMe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Organic fruits and veggies. Meat that hasn't been "cleaned" with chemicals. Cooking with a very limited amount of oils. NOT eating something that comes out of a box. NOT something that is dehydrated.

I'm not looking to start a debate on what "diet" is "better" or "worse". All I'm saying is that this works for me and I feel amazing from my way of eating. If you do enjoy "eating clean", great. If you don't, wonderful. However, don't down someone else's success.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I try and follow as close to Paleo nutrition as possible = try and eat as little or no processed food as possible. Paleo = if a caveman was alive how or what would he eat. No grocery store bag food etc. I too have had great success with this down 40 pounds and 25 inches. I also watch my carb intake, but with working out we still need 150g minimum or so porbably more for a guy. Good Luck on continued sucess!!! You got this! Read the websit "Mark's Daily Apple".

Sandy
    Lol, cavemen drank untreated water and sucked marrow out of bones.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I try and follow as close to Paleo nutrition as possible = try and eat as little or no processed food as possible. Paleo = if a caveman was alive how or what would he eat. No grocery store bag food etc. I too have had great success with this down 40 pounds and 25 inches. I also watch my carb intake, but with working out we still need 150g minimum or so porbably more for a guy. Good Luck on continued sucess!!! You got this! Read the websit "Mark's Daily Apple".

Sandy

WOOOT GRUBS!!!!
  • weber22c
    Options
    No more (or minimalize) processed crap! If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body.

I think if you're going to evaluate foods in that manner, then you do need to know what you're talking about to an extent. Your average person will look at pyridoxal phosphate and think it's an evil preservative when, in fact, it's vitamin B6, which is incredibly important for multiple reactions in amino acid metabolism. Likewise, tocopheryl acetate? That's vitamin E, folks.

Realize that the entire world is made up of chemicals. You're eating a whole fruit, almond milk, or a plain steak? Entirely composed of chemicals - while some chemical compounds are naturally occurring and others are synthesized (sometimes a chemical is naturally occurring, but industrial synthesis is actually less expensive), that's what things are made of. Chemicals don't HAVE to be evil and scary, but unfortunately, to many people they are due to school systems falling short in science education.

I personally prefer to cook with things that don't come out of boxes, but realize that even the foods you consider "clean" are still composed of chemicals.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    kitchen sink
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I disagree. Eating clean means eating mostly non-processed foods, meaning that there IS something called clean eating.
    All food on the market goes through processing of some sort. From pesticides to anti bacterial washing to packaging. Vegans would considered processed foods (like bread) fine while meat a no no and bad. So no, there really isn't a definition for eating "clean".

IDEA Fitness member
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Paleo = if a caveman was alive how or what would he eat.

If a caveman was alive today he'd be shoveling in the processed food as quickly as he could. He was on opportunist who ate whatever he could get his hands on, as often as possible.

He would eat beans and ice cream and pizza and probably live at the drive thru where the nice people handed him a bag full of hot food out a window.
    Ha, I think this is my favorite response to the Paleo diet ever.

There is no clear definition of "clean" eating because many people who claim to eat cleanly eat completely different things from each other. Which is fine because eating clean isn't necessary for weight loss (or for health even). Eat at a calorie deficit, eat a lot of nutrient dense foods, but don't say no to foods because someone called them "bad" or "dirty". Eat them in moderation and budget them into your calorie goals.