How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body.

Then what do you eat??? Even fruits and veggies are made up of things I can't pronounce....

Wow, where do you shop? I have yet to see the ingredient list of chemicals on the side of an apple.

here you go...

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver, Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine and Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt

I'd suggest steering clear of you apple until you figure out what all of these things are...

What stores show this on their labels?

Love this view on things, so if the food industry comes up with nice, easily pronounceable names for everything on the box then hey presto, its clean?

Best to eat all foods in moderation

Be simpler if they did away with labels all together. Who needs to know what's in their food, anyway?
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    This thread would be full of useful information... if the OP had asked "Can you talk me out of eating clean?" But that wasn't the case.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

anyway- it was amusing to me- take it as far or as short as you like- and it isn't a judgement on either types- it's mostly an observation of steryeotypes that I made while driving to work. I don't hold anyone's belief's or choices against them as long as they are educated and understanding what they are doing. I dont' expect a full scientific break down of christianity- much like I don't expect any sort of scientific break down on paleo and why it works. It works- and it makes them happy.

Not to derail a thread headed nowhere, but it's an interesting point. The problem I have with discussions of faith--and I think there nutritional issues of faith just as there are spiritual ones--is when one side tries to sound like something it isn't. For example, if you have one side trying to "prove" the existence of God through intelligent design. Whether or not someone agrees on the evidence, it's no longer an issue of faith at that point. We've landed squarely in the land of rational explanation and evidence instead of choosing to believe something in absence of evidence (faith).

The same holds for issues of our interactions with food. If someone wants to make dietary choices for no other reason than it works for them, or they have a moral/ethical reason, or choose to believe something, then great. Go for it. Be well. But do not try to give yourself credibility by dressing up like a rational discussion when that's just not the nature of the choice.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body.

Then what do you eat??? Even fruits and veggies are made up of things I can't pronounce....

Wow, where do you shop? I have yet to see the ingredient list of chemicals on the side of an apple.

here you go...

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver, Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine and Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt

I'd suggest steering clear of you apple until you figure out what all of these things are...

What stores show this on their labels?

Love this view on things, so if the food industry comes up with nice, easily pronounceable names for everything on the box then hey presto, its clean?

Best to eat all foods in moderation

Be simpler if they did away with labels all together. Who needs to know what's in their food, anyway?

This was the questioned asked in the OP "What does "keeping it clean" mean for you in terms of nutritional intake?!?! "
  • weber22c
    Options
    If someone chooses to eat natural foods and avoid additives, why do you care?

For the same reason I discuss vaccines with people who somehow STILL think vaccines cause autism (spoiler alert: they don't) or think that certain vaccines should be banned because 1 in every 25,000 suffers a mild side effect - I'm not a big fan of hysteria.

I have no problem with folks who prefer to eat whole, natural foods - I prefer to cook everything from scratch, too - but once again, I am addressing the specific claim that a person should steer clear of foods with ANY ingredient on the label they can't pronounce. That is an approach borne of blind fear, and honestly, that leads to the person being controlled by their food more than it leads to the person being in control of their food.

You are welcome to eat however you damn well please, but the fear-mongering on the internet gets a bit ridiculous sometimes.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The only pro-God food plan....

http://www.danielplan.com/

:insertsarcasm:

I was waiting for someone to mention this

Heh - the "Miracle Diet" ... You can only have Fish Sandwiches and Wine.
    tumblr_n0mx08IDpW1sj3oxho1_500.png
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

Clean eaters are obnoxious. It doesn't exist and it's utter trash.

I love kale, as does my processed food loving non-dieting drinks-too-much-beer husband.

And reading through the posts in this thread, the clean eaters don't really sound like the obnoxious ones.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad. I laugh and move on.

What does this even mean?

That she believes that the only people who make posts referring to science are know-nothings. Oh, and that context (as far as your overall diet and needs) does not matter when considering which food is a better choice.

Whatever. Perhaps she does not realize that there are plenty of people on here who have science careers. And that there are plenty of people who simply enjoy science and know what they're talking about, degree or no.

Yeah I took it as "gym teachers, stay at home dads and car salesman aren't smart". That's messed up.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

Clean eaters are obnoxious. It doesn't exist and it's utter trash.

I love kale, as does my processed food loving non-dieting drinks-too-much-beer husband.

And reading through the posts in this thread, the clean eaters don't really sound like the obnoxious ones.

Hate to say it but even though I am in no way a clean eater I actually quite like kale

Wow that felt like confessing to a crime :laugh:
  • Moira945
    Moira945 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    "Clean" is the term people who know nothing about the science of food use when they are getting rid of highly processed foods. Generally, this means getting rid of junk (because that's what is processed) and that is why it works.

In reality, though, there is no such thing as clean eating. The words "all natural" have no standardized definition and "chemicals" are everything from chloroform to water. Saying no "chemicals" added means even less than "all natural." None of these things mean ANYTHING. A lot of those "chemicals" that "clean" eating people avoid are there for very reasonable, healthful purposes. Some are preservatives, some are for uniformity in color, some are just cheaper options than compounds with less scary names. You have to choose your food based on what you enjoy, and what helps you meet your goals. Not what has a "chemical" sounding name or is/isn't labelled "all natural" or "clean." I apologize if this is a bit of a tirade, but I am a chemist and this is a constant source of annoyance for me.

If you eat less junk, I'm sure your "clean eating" buddies will see you as doing the same thing as them...and you'll have a much more factual basis for your food choices. :)

Good luck!
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why do you take offense to clean eating??? The op wanted some useful information and you made this a bully fest. A friend of mine was recently made to feel berated because of your comments and wants to leave mfp.. This is meant to be a helpful place for people wanting to lose weight and be healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

For the same reason I discuss vaccines with people who somehow STILL think vaccines cause autism (spoiler alert: they don't) or think that certain vaccines should be banned because 1 in every 25,000 suffers a mild side effect - I'm not a big fan of hysteria.

I have no problem with folks who prefer to eat whole, natural foods - I prefer to cook everything from scratch, too - but once again, I am addressing the specific claim that a person should steer clear of foods with ANY ingredient on the label they can't pronounce. That is an approach borne of blind fear, and honestly, that leads to the person being controlled by their food more than it leads to the person being in control of their food.

You are welcome to eat however you damn well please, but the fear-mongering on the internet gets a bit ridiculous sometimes.

You don't know why someone else chooses to eat or not eat anything.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad. I laugh and move on.

What does this even mean?

That she believes that the only people who make posts referring to science are know-nothings. Oh, and that context (as far as your overall diet and needs) does not matter when considering which food is a better choice.

Whatever. Perhaps she does not realize that there are plenty of people on here who have science careers. And that there are plenty of people who simply enjoy science and know what they're talking about, degree or no.

Yeah I took it as "gym teachers, stay at home dads and car salesman aren't smart". That's messed up.
    Also referring them as "things"........lol
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Means a million things to a million people. Has fans and haters.

I've been accused of "eating clean" because I buy foods and make meals.:ohwell:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Why do you take offense to clean eating??? The op wanted some useful information and you made this a bully fest. A friend of mine was recently made to feel berated because of your comments and wants to leave mfp.. This is meant to be a helpful place for people wanting to lose weight and be healthy.

QFT

OP asked "How do you keep your food intake 'clean'?" If you don't, probably not the thread for you. Move along. Why go out of your way to give the guy a hard time? He just asked a question.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

You don't know why someone else chooses to eat or not eat anything.

We do if they're asked that question and then they answer it....

Perhaps I missed part of that conversation.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I dont eat food off the floor
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I prefer to roll all my food in dust or mud first, just depending on my mood.
  • Greytfish
    Options

QFT

OP asked "How do you keep your food intake 'clean'?" If you don't, probably not the thread for you. Move along. Why go out of your way to give the guy a hard time? He just asked a question.

:drinker: