How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I prefer to roll all my food in dust or mud first, just depending on my mood.

Fills you up with less calories that way :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

Clean eaters are obnoxious. It doesn't exist and it's utter trash.

I love kale, as does my processed food loving non-dieting drinks-too-much-beer husband.

And reading through the posts in this thread, the clean eaters don't really sound like the obnoxious ones.

It's odd sometimes how the reverse logic makes the truth look false.

It happens a lot in real life. Usually because of low IQs and people jumping to conclusions without thinking through the situation.

Oh, now see. That wasn't obnoxious at all. :love:
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    GOOD GOOD...let the butthurt flow through you
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    That's insanely self-explanitory. What compirises an apple makes an apple. If there is an added chemical, then that IS the added chemical.

I'm not sure what you guys are trying to accomplish by belittling someone's way of eating. You're grasping at straws with your "arguments" and basically trying to push your views on others. Seriously, that is all I see on websites like this. "NO, OUR WAY IS BETTER, F YOU". Knock it off. Accept and move on.
    It's not belittling anyone's way of eating, it's dispelling the notion that food, other than whole foods, are inherently "unhealthy", "dirty" etc. Eat the way you want, but don't make claims that aren't supported by science because you believe it to be right for you. No one really cares how others eat. It doesn't affect their day to day lives. But if someone is really searching for accurate information about eating, make up of foods, etc. it should be given.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Why do you take offense to clean eating??? The op wanted some useful information and you made this a bully fest. A friend of mine was recently made to feel berated because of your comments and wants to leave mfp.. This is meant to be a helpful place for people wanting to lose weight and be healthy.

QFT

OP asked "How do you keep your food intake 'clean'?" If you don't, probably not the thread for you. Move along. Why go out of your way to give the guy a hard time? He just asked a question.

:drinker:
    And if you read the actual first post instead of the title, he says that he's heard it mentioned. It's not necessarily something he feels strongly about, but more is looking for information about it because a few people who lift feel it's necessary. Therefore, if we feel it isn't in fact necessary for weight loss, building muscle, lifting, or health, then why is that not relevant information as well?
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Why do you take offense to clean eating??? The op wanted some useful information and you made this a bully fest. A friend of mine was recently made to feel berated because of your comments and wants to leave mfp.. This is meant to be a helpful place for people wanting to lose weight and be healthy.

QFT

OP asked "How do you keep your food intake 'clean'?" If you don't, probably not the thread for you. Move along. Why go out of your way to give the guy a hard time? He just asked a question.

Seeing How i am OP....I find all information provided valuable.

I am a firm believer that moderation of all food is key first and foremost. However, I do like the idea of being selective on the types of mass produced foods i eat, but thats because I am one who LOVES cooking...not the "its a passion" kinda love....but the "I want to get nuts deep into that" kinda love!

With that said, I want everyone to be honest with their opinions, but that is all i wanted...not for someone to push a person away from a great site like this or to make a person feel that what has worked up to this point for them was wrong. Keep it simple and informative people!

Now if you dont mind....i am going to eat my 1.0 package of Jack Links Hot and Spicy Beef Jerky, and chug my 16 oz can of Rockstar Pure Zero energy drink and get back to telling people to pay their debt!

Peace out!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad. I laugh and move on.

What does this even mean?

That she believes that the only people who make posts referring to science are know-nothings. Oh, and that context (as far as your overall diet and needs) does not matter when considering which food is a better choice.

Whatever. Perhaps she does not realize that there are plenty of people on here who have science careers. And that there are plenty of people who simply enjoy science and know what they're talking about, degree or no.

Yeah I took it as "gym teachers, stay at home dads and car salesman aren't smart". That's messed up.

That was implied, but I'm being generous and believing those were "non-science-y" careers she thought of at random.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also, the people who think natural = better are deluding themselves. Everything in nature has well-developed defense mechanisms. Surviving in nature is a constant arms race. Nature doesn't exist for our benefit. The history of organisms is a history of species taking advantage of one another, developing defenses against each other, and evolving new ways to get past those defenses and continue taking advantage of one another.

We exist because we evolved to survive despite other organisms' best efforts to screw us over. We evolved to be able to TOLERATE things in nature. They didn't evolve for OUR benefit.
    This is an accurate statement. Survival of organisms is the primary instinct. HOW it's done is based on adaptation. Those that don't adapt, don't make it. Yes, there are instances when extinction events happen whether natural or by others, but overall it's going to come down to how well adaptation goes.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Kale is food that no one actually likes, but everyone feels like they're supposed to, so they act like it's tasty. It's the elephant in the room that no one will talk about. Lol

I love kale, as does my processed food loving non-dieting drinks-too-much-beer husband.

And reading through the posts in this thread, the clean eaters don't really sound like the obnoxious ones.

Ha ha ha ha!!!! This is the winning post of the thread! My daughter who'll eat any kind pre-processed garbage put in front of her while she turns down fresh fruits and veggies, goes nuts for kale. I put it in the crockpot and braise it with a beef roast. 8 hours later, she's lining up to chow down.

Funny how so many people prove their points with facts they made up out of the air. It sure makes for some crazy reading!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The only pro-God food plan....

http://www.danielplan.com/

:insertsarcasm:

I was waiting for someone to mention this

Is this the "Fishes and Loaves" diet? Cause i eat a whole whitefish fillet and 2 slices of 12 grain bread (yes 12 as in the appossels (typo likely sue me) - 3-4 times a week....Im down for it :p
    If it's paleo, then it's the Daniel Boone diet.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

anyway- it was amusing to me- take it as far or as short as you like- and it isn't a judgement on either types- it's mostly an observation of steryeotypes that I made while driving to work. I don't hold anyone's belief's or choices against them as long as they are educated and understanding what they are doing. I dont' expect a full scientific break down of christianity- much like I don't expect any sort of scientific break down on paleo and why it works. It works- and it makes them happy.

Not to derail a thread headed nowhere, but it's an interesting point. The problem I have with discussions of faith--and I think there nutritional issues of faith just as there are spiritual ones--is when one side tries to sound like something it isn't. For example, if you have one side trying to "prove" the existence of God through intelligent design. Whether or not someone agrees on the evidence, it's no longer an issue of faith at that point. We've landed squarely in the land of rational explanation and evidence instead of choosing to believe something in absence of evidence (faith).

The same holds for issues of our interactions with food. If someone wants to make dietary choices for no other reason than it works for them, or they have a moral/ethical reason, or choose to believe something, then great. Go for it. Be well. But do not try to give yourself credibility by dressing up like a rational discussion when that's just not the nature of the choice.

YES. Excellent explanation for why people get their panties in a bunch (me included).

Plus, I don't like to see people sucked in by a bunch of horse-hockey, which is what happens when faith-based anything is presented as proven. If someone likes the sentiment, they'll follow the faith. No need to gild the lily.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

anyway- it was amusing to me- take it as far or as short as you like- and it isn't a judgement on either types- it's mostly an observation of steryeotypes that I made while driving to work. I don't hold anyone's belief's or choices against them as long as they are educated and understanding what they are doing. I dont' expect a full scientific break down of christianity- much like I don't expect any sort of scientific break down on paleo and why it works. It works- and it makes them happy.

Not to derail a thread headed nowhere, but it's an interesting point. The problem I have with discussions of faith--and I think there nutritional issues of faith just as there are spiritual ones--is when one side tries to sound like something it isn't. For example, if you have one side trying to "prove" the existence of God through intelligent design. Whether or not someone agrees on the evidence, it's no longer an issue of faith at that point. We've landed squarely in the land of rational explanation and evidence instead of choosing to believe something in absence of evidence (faith).

The same holds for issues of our interactions with food. If someone wants to make dietary choices for no other reason than it works for them, or they have a moral/ethical reason, or choose to believe something, then great. Go for it. Be well. But do not try to give yourself credibility by dressing up like a rational discussion when that's just not the nature of the choice.

yup- the more I thought about it- the more it made sense to me- again- I don't paritcularly care what you eat- but don't try to science me into believing you. much like religion- my mom is a born again Christian- and not a douchy hypcritical one- she's very genuine and honest- firm in her beliefs but accpeting that not everyone is her. And she never tried to science anything at me- it's what she believes- and it makes her happy.

And it works for her. I feel the same way about vegans/veggies/clean/paleo/pescetarian types- don't try to tell me it's better for me- just say that's what you believe and call it a day.

it was an interesting revelation that will make my dealings with people who eat like that much more simple.

yeah- I just don't get it-glad we agree!
    I feel like it's rabbit food that someone decided was dark green- must have deliciousness in it because it's dark and leafy- and therefore we must eat it. SUPER FOOD_ EAT IT!!! nope- no thanks- same with acai berry- doesn't taste good to me either. bleck.

I would rather eat bok cho and blackberries- but not together. - those actually taste's good. I've never had kale that tasted good that wasn't hidden behind something else.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    TIL that the MFP community is apparently on the Twinkie diet
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Hate to say it but even though I am in no way a clean eater I actually quite like kale

Wow that felt like confessing to a crime :laugh:

I love Kale! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Hate to say it but even though I am in no way a clean eater I actually quite like kale

Wow that felt like confessing to a crime :laugh:

I love Kale! :)
    I served in the bistro most of last season and the plates came back clean.......maybe if McDonalds served it as a side dish that might not have happened.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Kale chips are pretty tasty if you season them just a little bit - even if you don't enjoy cooked kale generally. They also have a good amount of iron, potasium and vitamin A and some trace amounts of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin C and vitamin K. Pretty good stuff all around.

Careful if you make it for friends for movie night. They'll expect more next time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Not eating "clean" != "being on the twinkie diet"

There's a whole range of options between those two extremes.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Is this the "Fishes and Loaves" diet? Cause i eat a whole whitefish fillet and 2 slices of 12 grain bread (yes 12 as in the appossels (typo likely sue me) - 3-4 times a week....Im down for it :p

IDEA Fitness member

Really i was just trying to be funny (well sort of).......But i do like me some Fishes and Loaves!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Really i was just trying to be funny (well sort of).......But i do like me some Fishes and Loaves!
    Does fish covered in panko count.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Not eating "clean" != "being on the twinkie diet"

There's a whole range of options between those two extremes.

Yeah, but the fervor with which some of these MFPers rail against fruits, veggies and whole grains is kind of unsettling. I mean, I eat junk food occasionally, but I'm not going to pretend that whole foods are bad. Or that a hot dog is as healthy as equal calories of veggies and beans and stuff. Not only is there science behind it, but personal anecdata tells me that I feel like total crap when I eat more processed foods, and I feel more energy when I cook healthy foods for myself.