How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Everyone shouldn't take a science class.

However, they SHOULD have taken a science class before proclaiming that such-and-such chemical is bad or unhealthy, or that it's bad because they can't pronounce it and don't even know what it is.

By all means, avoid things that look scary to you if you're not willing to learn about them. That's fine.

But don't tell us things are bad because you're ignorant about what they are and how to pronounce them.

Did someone tell you that?

Yes, people say it all the time and you very well know it.

Like I said, the lesson is "eat however you want to eat." The only "but" is "just don't try to tell people things that aren't true."
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    All the additives have those little numbers and you're on the internet. It's not that hard putting that into google if you're curious.

But I'm from Germany, so our norms are a bit more strict in that regard so I don't really have any qualms of eating anything from here.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But don't tell us things are bad because you're ignorant about what they are and how to pronounce them.

Did someone tell you that?
    If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body.
    Your words I think.

No. Page 1 of this thread, but a different poster.

And in response to question: all the time here on MFP. Don't pretend you haven't seen it several times.

I just meant this thread. One thread at a time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

OK. In addition to the previous quote...

From page 2:
    I make sure I know what all the ingredients are, any chemical that I can not pronounce is not going into my body

So that's two different posters in this thread. While they didn't explicitly state that these things are "bad," that is clearly the implication.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

OK. In addition to the previous quote...

From page 2:
    I make sure I know what all the ingredients are, any chemical that I can not pronounce is not going into my body

So that's two different posters in this thread. While they didn't explicitly state that these things are "bad," that is clearly the implication.

I think you mean that was your inference.

They may have meant 'bad', they may have meant 'questionable', they may be on a quest for all food additives to have simple pronounable names.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Inference? Yes. But, in context to the entire posts those two made, I feel comfortable - this time - in referring to them as implications.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" means taking a nice lonnnnggggg hot shower and using soap to clean my body right before I eat.
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Paleo = if a caveman was alive how or what would he eat.

If a caveman was alive today he'd be shoveling in the processed food as quickly as he could. He was on opportunist who ate whatever he could get his hands on, as often as possible.

He would eat beans and ice cream and pizza and probably live at the drive thru where the nice people handed him a bag full of hot food out a window.

I was thinking the same thing. If a caveman were alive today, he would eat as most people eat. A better statement is how would YOU eat if you only had access to the same things as a caveman.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If it didn`t fall on the floor , ITS CLEAN
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I keep my food intake clean by brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouth wash. Keeps my intake clean and fresh
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    We just read the label off the chocolate cake I had for my birthday at work... (my boss is one of those clean eater types) and our local chemist/biologist said one of the ingredients is essentially anti-freeze.

I'm still happy I got chocolate cake!

Propylene glycol. It's used as a nontoxic antifreeze. Very similar to ethlyene glycol, which is also used as antifreeze, but ethylene glycol is highly toxic and not used in food.

Both are very sweet-tasting. Propylene glycol is often used as a preservative and sometimes a sweetener. Ethylene glycol is found every now and then in products from China like toothpaste, because it is extremely cheap and sweet.

Pro Tip: If you have a dog that gets into anti-freeze, get it drunk on grain alcohol of some variety (e.g vodka). The liver will prioritize processing the ethanol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    If it didn`t fall on the floor , ITS CLEAN
    Lol, there's still the 10 second rule. Hell, I attribute my immunity factor to the 10 second rule.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Wifey7891
    Options
    i have a few simple suggestions:

1. eating healthy starts with grocery shopping. what you buy is what you will eat, so try to stick to the outside of the supermarket as much as possible (meats, fresh veggies, milk products, and grains)

2. make your meals ahead of time as much as possible. for example, plan your meals the day before. make your lunch the day before as well, so you can just grab and go in the morning on the way to work.

3. healthy eating does not mean lack of flavor. to make chicken and fish tastey use any assortment of seasonings instead of sauces.

4. use a food scale! you will be amazed at how much overestimation happens.

5. eating out is fine once in a while, but basically any dish you order out can be made with less calories at home because you can control what you add. even grilled or baked fishes and veggies at restaraunts are usually soaked in butter. also, portion sizes are way too big when eating out, so eat half and take the rest home for the next day.
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    "Clean" means I get a fresh dish and/or fork out of the cupboard or drawer. "Not clean" really means "clean enough" -- a dish or fork on the counter that has no obvious crud on it, or at least not a lot. This is actually preferable because it doesn't dirty up more dishes. Then there's "clean now" where I get a dish off the counter, rinse it off, swipe it with the dish towel and put it into service.

I love kale. Kale is the new kid on the block in trendy nutritional circles. Before it was hip, people never heard of it unless they grew up in southern Maryland or farther south. I grew up on it. You may have to in order to like it. I'll allow that there are adult-onset kale lovers but I suspect it's an acquired taste for people not weaned on it. You take a lot of kale, a lot of cabbage, and a lot of onions, chop 'em all up together, cut deep slits into your ham and stuff the kale mixture in there before you cook it (can roast, but boiling is better) and you have something scrumptious that people outside of Southern Maryland have never heard of. It's clean unless you drop it on the floor.

You may change your mind about kale if you eat the young center leaves instead of the mature, tough outer ones.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I love kale. Kale is the new kid on the block in trendy nutritional circles. Before it was hip, people never heard of it unless they grew up in southern Maryland or farther south. I grew up on it.

Well, no, actually kale is quite common in a lot of dishes in a variety of cultures. It's just more likley to be a new idea here because few people who are overweight got there on a diet including a healthy amount of vegetables.

About the only way I hand't already had kale was the "trendy" over baked "chip" style. But, that probably has more to do with not having been raised on potato chips and never really thinking about any sort of chip as a snack. They are quite handy through as a travel snack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Organic fruits and veggies. Meat that hasn't been "cleaned" with chemicals. Cooking with a very limited amount of oils. NOT eating something that comes out of a box. NOT something that is dehydrated.

I'm not looking to start a debate on what "diet" is "better" or "worse". All I'm saying is that this works for me and I feel amazing from my way of eating. If you do enjoy "eating clean", great. If you don't, wonderful. However, don't down someone else's success.

i eat ice cream every night and feel great ..so there you go …
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I am staying away from things like potatoes, corn, bread, pasta, juice, sodas, sugars, rice, condiments, and any other processed foods. I try to eat grilled, baked, or broiled meats, fresh veggies, and fresh fruits. I only drink water. And I limit the oils I use to prepare meals. To me that's eating clean.
    so you eat basically nothing?
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I am staying away from things like potatoes, corn, bread, pasta, juice, sodas, sugars, rice, condiments, and any other processed foods. I try to eat grilled, baked, or broiled meats, fresh veggies, and fresh fruits. I only drink water. And I limit the oils I use to prepare meals. To me that's eating clean.

Maybe that's nto what you eat, but, assuming that's at an appropriate level of calories, how does that qualify as "nothing?"
  • ndj1979
    Options

Maybe that's nto what you eat, but, assuming that's at an appropriate level of calories, how does that qualify as "nothing?"

if said person is not eating "sugars" then that means they are not eating carbs, which would eliminate whole swath of foods from their diet...oh but then they said they eat fruit, so I guess they are eating sugar...now I am just confused..
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

if said person is not eating "sugars" then that means they are not eating carbs, which would eliminate whole swath of foods from their diet...oh but then they said they eat fruit, so I guess they are eating sugar...now I am just confused..

It would eliminate everything except meat and processed oil, I think. So.. yeah.