How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• Greytfish
    Options
    I am staying away from things like potatoes, corn, bread, pasta, juice, sodas, sugars, rice, condiments, and any other processed foods. I try to eat grilled, baked, or broiled meats, fresh veggies, and fresh fruits. I only drink water. And I limit the oils I use to prepare meals. To me that's eating clean.
    so you eat basically nothing?

Maybe that's nto what you eat, but, assuming that's at an appropriate level of calories, how does that qualify as "nothing?"

if said person is not eating "sugars" then that means they are not eating carbs, which would eliminate whole swath of foods from their diet...oh but then they said they eat fruit, so I guess they are eating sugar...now I am just confused..

I wasn't asking about what else they said. I was aking what about the bit you quote sounded like nothing. If there was some addendum about sugar that you were responding to, it would help if you posted it. Otherwise, I can't see how that person's diet was nothing. That snippet sounds pretty healthy. Did you leave something out?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I love kale. Kale is the new kid on the block in trendy nutritional circles. Before it was hip, people never heard of it unless they grew up in southern Maryland or farther south. I grew up on it.

Well, no, actually kale is quite common in a lot of dishes in a variety of cultures. It's just more likley to be a new idea here because few people who are overweight got there on a diet including a healthy amount of vegetables.

About the only way I hand't already had kale was the "trendy" over baked "chip" style. But, that probably has more to do with not having been raised on potato chips and never really thinking about any sort of chip as a snack. They are quite handy through as a travel snack.

I, for one, love love love kale and I grew up eating it too.

As a matter of fact, we are supposed to get a winter storm tomorrow and Wednesday so I made a grocery store run just to stock up on kale. I eat it every day and not because I have to, because I want to.

This whole clean eating debate is going to go as far as political ones go on here. People that do it, believe in it, and people that do not, well, do not. It all boils down to how much time, effort and money you want to put into your diet.

Plus, there is no food police. No one is standing at the grocery store telling a person they can only buy fresh food or processed food.

What makes me sad is we tell people that have food issues that they should overhaul their lifestyle, add more fresh food into it and cut out some of the high fat, high calorie, high sodium foods they consume now, then we have people that come in and demand that they eat it. It becomes very confusing to many. Then we have the people that scream if it fits in your macros, then we have people that say do not track sugar, or fat and the only thing we should worry about are calories. I am not here to help you be skinny, I am here to help you be healthy. I mean, the coroner can do a darn good job at making someone look pretty good laying in their casket is if all we care about is how we look.

It does not take a rocket scientist to know that a few more vegetables and a few less cookies are GOOD for you. But in saying that, a cookie now and then is not going to kill us (hopefully).

What some people fail to understand is that moderation is a big issue for most over weight people. If it were not, they would not be in the shape they are in. If you are capable of moderation that is indeed a wonderful thing, but we can not tell someone that is not able to moderate that they should be able to and it is a lack of will power that is their problem. That is plain wrong and the reason hundreds of people die each year.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OMG how did I miss the slow cooked kale in a crook pot with beef?

I almost threw up in my mouth?

it's like soggy canned spinach... WHY.... WHY is it so popular. goddayum.

whatever- I'll take my regular veggies.

And a big fat LOL at the "can pronounce it- shouldn't eat it" crew.

I can't pronounce anything at the italian place properly other than lasagna and spaghetti- I can't pronounce any of the Malbec's I order- and I can only pronounce the stuff from the Lebanese place because I work there. Otherwise I'm winging it.

Guess I shouldn't eat/drink all that stuff either.

<le-sigh>
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    how did I miss the awesomeness of this thread blowing up?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    What does "keeping it clean" mean for you in terms of nutritional intake?!?!

CK

So no unnatural chemicals or additives and no trans fats.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am staying away from things like potatoes, corn, bread, pasta, juice, sodas, sugars, rice, condiments, and any other processed foods. I try to eat grilled, baked, or broiled meats, fresh veggies, and fresh fruits. I only drink water. And I limit the oils I use to prepare meals. To me that's eating clean.

Maybe that's nto what you eat, but, assuming that's at an appropriate level of calories, how does that qualify as "nothing?"

if said person is not eating "sugars" then that means they are not eating carbs, which would eliminate whole swath of foods from their diet...oh but then they said they eat fruit, so I guess they are eating sugar...now I am just confused..

I wasn't asking about what else they said. I was aking what about the bit you quote sounded like nothing. If there was some addendum about sugar that you were responding to, it would help if you posted it. Otherwise, I can't see how that person's diet was nothing. That snippet sounds pretty healthy. Did you leave something out?

the original person that I quoted (see above) said they stay away from sugars, which would be all carbs too, which means they eat no pasta, bread, vegetables, fruit, and anything else with carbs in them...so I guess they just eat meat and oil...so essentially, nothing.
  • Greytfish
    Options

the original person that I quoted (see above) said they stay away from sugars, which would be all carbs too, which means they eat no pasta, bread, vegetables, fruit, and anything else with carbs in them...so I guess they just eat meat and oil...so essentially, nothing.

Sounds like you're just working from different definitions of sugar. Still wouldn't be nothing. Might not be healthy, but that's different.

In one of the sugar fiascos last week a woman told me she had to go off all sugar because she was addicted. Her diary said she ate three bananas that day, so....:noway:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I doubt that you really are confused. I imagine that you knew very well when they said "sugars" they were refering to added sugars like table sugar, honey and syrups.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I doubt that you really are confused. I imagine that you knew very well when they said "sugars" they were refering to added sugars like table sugar, honey and syrups.

I reject the idea because it implies some difference between identical chemicals.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i lick the chocolate off first, lick it clean... then eat whatever was inside of the chocolate...
  • bcattoes
    Options

I reject the idea because it implies some difference between identical chemicals.

If the poster were talking about chemicals and not food, that might be true. Not all sugars have the same chemical make-up.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're just working from different definitions of sugar. Still wouldn't be nothing. Might not be healthy, but that's different.

In one of the sugar fiascos last week a woman told me she had to go off all sugar because she was addicted. Her diary said she ate three bananas that day, so....:noway:

different definitions of sugar?

sugar be sugar my friend.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this looks like a trainwreck I need to read.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Look the word up in a dictionary and you'll find more than one meaning.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this looks like a trainwreck I need to read.
    Hey bud, let's party!

tumblr_mv9c3i83Rn1rncmzco6_500.gif
  • Greytfish
    Options

Look the word up in a dictionary and you'll find more than one meaning.

And then there's the fact that it's listed separately from carbs on MFP and on those handly little "nutritional info boxes" on foods.

But, if you want to have some fun with it, next time someone at Thanksgiving asks you to pas the sugar for their coffee, pass them the sweet potatoes instead.:wink:
  • ndj1979
    Options

sugar is sugar...
  • ndj1979
    Options

umm no sugar is sugar..so I have one definition.
  • bcattoes
    Options

sugar is sugar...

So sucrose, fructose and glucose are exactly the same? No difference at all? Isn't it odd that someone went to the trouble to make up difference names for them?