Who else needs to lose 40-50 pounds?

Replies

• Good day to all of you wonderful people... I am at this time RESTARTING my journey ... I have a previous weight loss of... 117 pounds... wooo hooo... lol ok and gained a little back... so... here I am counting calories.. such and eye opener to hahaha.. how much a healthy diet should consist of... my last journey was a starvation diet... OHHH IT WORKED wonders... but.. the rebound isn't nice... the body suffers.... I am currently 230 and my new goal is to loose the 20 that I gained... then onto the my 200 goal... of summer time... ( this has been going on for a year...) hahaah but it's all good.. I fell off the wagon.. time to get back on....HONESTLY THE SIZE OF YOUR BODY DOES NOT MATTER... this is JMO ... it's the HEALTHY part that makes a big difference... healthy is important... that it is ....So here I am ... here we are.... so LET US BEGIN... I wouldn't love to add some new friends.. who would like to help... follow... motivate eachother... is there is a "group type" place for peeps who have to loose a " larger" amount of weight... lmao.. I would love to be pointed in your direction.... if not ... please add me... I love to chat.. I love talk weight loss... weight gain... and what we can do about it... I am a positive motivator.. and would love to help others on their new old or returning journey.... LIFE IS REALLY TO SHORT.... lets live it.... love it... and get healthy!!!!.... :)
  • Sounds like we had extremely similar goal/stories. Nursing school and a desk job definitely slowly made me gain weight. Now I'm 5'8 & 180lb. My goal is get between 135/140 (130 would def be too thin for me). I'm looking for more MFP friends; add me so we can keep each other motivated!!
  • February 8, 2014 2:10 pm
    I need help!!!! Are there any physicians, nurses or just super smart people on here that can calm my nerves?

Ok, I will try to keep this short! I am scared to death and have no idea what all this means!!! I wish I would have waited for my Dr. to call me than to get my own results!

My BACKGROUND: Started my journey Sept. 2013 I have lost a total of 29lbs, over 30 in. by doing MFP and workouts w/ my trainer 3 days a week. 1600 calories a day......I never eat back my calories...blah..blah...blah. I have been experiencing increasingly painful joint pain in my knees and left elbow. So I went to the Dr. Thursday and here are my results:

X RAY Left knee: lateral compartment osteophytosis
    X RAY Right knee: medial joint space narrowing and patellofemoral osteophytosis
    (impression:degenerative changes in the knees)

***I AM ONLY 39 YEARS OLD!! I have a history of vonWillebrands disease***

Lab work:
    CBC,Electrolytes,HDL,CK and RA normal.
    ESR=32 (normal is 0-20)
    glucose fasting=111 (normal is below 100)
    BUN=21 (normal is below 20
    triglycerides=160 (normal 0-150)
    CRP greater than 15.000=acute inflammation
    Total cholesterol=253 (normal 0-200)
    LDL=179 (normal 0-100)

MY RA was 8.6 (normal 0-12) so can a 39 year old female get osteoarthritis???? Now what? I am totally freaking out!!! This is the healthiest that I have EVER been! By no means not the thinnest but by far the healthiest!!!! I dont eat red meat. I have not had anything greasy,fried or tasty since SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!
  • 63.5", at 193 lbs, working hard to get down to `115 lbs. I have 78 lbs to go, I eat clean, simple foods, with no junk food, sweets, prepackaged crap, artificial sweeteners or added sugars, added sauces, etc. I am easily getting away with a 1200 lower-carb calorie diet, plus burning 500+ calories per day on the treadmill. Yogurt and fruit usually in the morning, egg whites or lean chicken with veggies for lunch, sometime a banana or apple for an afternoon snack, and then lean protein or whole wheat pasta with veggies, water- or fat-free/low-sodium based soups for dinner. I like simple dishes, nothing fancy prepped, and I am not of eating out because the meals are too big, usually carb heavy, and very often not healthy at all. (I will go out to Subway for lunch sometimes, or steakhouses on occasion because I can a small 4-5 oz steak and side of steamed veggies, no prob.) Lots of water and tisanes. Otherwise I am lactose intolerant and keep grains to a minimum, getting my carbs from veggies and fruits.
  • Started a weight loss competition this past Monday. Weighed in at 306. Trying to get to 250. I'm trying to do it pretty much the same way. Goals are stay under 1500 cal, 50g of carbs and drink 10-12 cups of water a day. Since Monday, (im on day 6) I have already dropped 12lbs. I know its water weight but its a start.

57478684.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Hello out there I am looking to lose 50 pounds. Just had a baby so i am trying to get it back!!!! Please add me as a friend!
  • DianeLLand
    DianeLLand Posts: 5 Member
    I started at 278 down to 230 need to get down to 140 I love the mfp I am doing just about everything you are doing all but the green tea pills can't do them with my heart the way it is had 3 heart attacks so far so losing weight is very important to me
  • Kentuckygirl61
    Kentuckygirl61 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi
    I have tried all the diets too. I started at 180 and have lost (as of today) 9lbs. I do the 1200 calories authorized by my Doctor who does a lot of ppl who have done the surgery route.. She put me on this diet and on fitness pal ; she also uses myfitnesspal.
  • February 8, 2014 2:10 pm
    I need help!!!! Are there any physicians, nurses or just super smart people on here that can calm my nerves?

Ok, I will try to keep this short! I am scared to death and have no idea what all this means!!! I wish I would have waited for my Dr. to call me than to get my own results!
    O
    My BACKGROUND: Started my journey Sept. 2013 I have lost a total of 29lbs, over 30 in. by doing MFP and workouts w/ my trainer 3 days a week. 1600 calories a day......I never eat back my calories...blah..blah...blah. I have been experiencing increasingly painful joint pain in my knees and left elbow. So I went to the Dr. Thursday and here are my results:

Lab work:
    ESR=32 (normal is 0-20)
    LDL=179 (normal 0-100)

MY RA was 8.6 (normal 0-12) so can a 39 year old female get osteoarthritis???? Now what? I am totally freaking out!!! This is the healthiest that I have EVER been! By no means not the thinnest but by far the healthiest!!!! I dont eat red meat. I have not had anything greasy,fried or tasty since SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!
    I'm neither a doctor nor a nurse, and I'm not particularly brilliant, but I do have a lot of experience. I know that when I've tried to read into reports, I've been way off and have scared my self needlessly. The numbers you quote, while higher than normal, aren't super elevated, I don't think. And I quickly looked up osteophytosis which appears to be often linked to arthritis. It also seems to be easily treated with anti inflammatory meds. ......."Knee osteophytes are small spurs that form in and around the knee joint as a result of chronic inflammation. Osteophytes in general are often associated with arthritis and are a sign of an underlying problem, rather than being a standalone medical issue. Treatments are available for knee osteophytes, to address both the bony growths and the inflammation causing the osteophytes to develop in the first place."......
    I've had arthritis in both knees since I was 17. Please relax until you talk to the doc, don't make yourself sick.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but didn't want you left hanging during your SOS. And remember that we usually make things worse in our minds.
  • I too would like to lose between 40-50 pounds. This is my second attempt at MFP....the first time was close to three years ago and I didn't use it. Back to try again. Looking at my old info, I was 198.8 last time I was here. Today I am exactly 10 pounds lighter, weighing in at 188.8. I am trying to lose this weight through diet rather than exercise...I have knee and foot problems that make me afraid to work out. Last time I tried to do the exercise route, I ended up at the orthopedic surgeons office barely able to walk. I love to work out and get a good sweat going...and go hard. I went from no exercise straight to p90x...I loved it...until the end of month two when my knee swelled up so much that I had no stability and my thigh felt like it was literally going to slip off my lower leg. I quit working out. At 5'8 and 188.8...my scale says my body fat registers between 42 and 44%...no different than 3 years ago when I weighed 10 pounds more. Frustrated with how difficult it is to drop the body fat and also frustrated with how my weight has put my life on hold. Let's get this done!
  • Trae3
    Trae3 Posts: 59 Member
    I am currently looking to lose 40 lbs as well. I have always had trouble with my weight growing up. I did go on jenny craig about 6 years ago and went from 165 to 146. At that point I hit a plateau and after struggling with that I just gave up and ended up not only gaining everything back but even more. After some personal choices and events I ended up at my highest weight of 198 roughly 2 years ago. I was determined not to let myself get any higher so I have gradually been able to get myself down to 172. My birthday is this upcoming May and I would love to be in better shape so I can look and feel my best (especially since ill be going on vacation!).
    If I lose 40lbs I will be at 132 which would put me in a healthy bmi range. I would love to talk to anyone who wants to help motivate each other and give tips/advice. Please friend me if you would like!!
  • ekd23
    ekd23 Posts: 89 Member
    Good luck to you! I'm hoping to lose 50-60lbs. Feel free to add me :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    February 8, 2014 2:10 pm

Lab work:
    ESR=32 (normal is 0-20)
    LDL=179 (normal 0-100)

ESR is short for erythrocyte sedimentation rate. It tests the amount of inflammation in your body. A 32 SED rate isn't too bad but it does mean you have something going on in your body. This is most likely related to your knees.

A fasting glucose of 111 means you are pre-diabetic. Anywhere from 100 - 125 mg/dl puts you in the pre-diabetic category. Watch your carbohydrate and sugar intake. Stay away from simple carbs. Stick to complex carbs.

BUN is short for blood urea nitrogen. This tests the amount of nitrogen in your blood that comes from waste product urea. A BUN test shows how well your kidneys function. A BUN of 21 is only 1 point higher than in range so that's nothing to worry about.

A 160 for triglycerides means you have borderline high triglycerides. High triglycerides can lead to heart disease if no changes are made. High triglycerides are caused by obesity, uncontrolled diabetes (you are pre-diabetic), an under active thyroid, kidney disease, drinking a lot of alcohol. Some medications can even raise triglycerides. In order to lower your triglycerides you should obviously continue exercising. You need to limit your fat and sugar intake. You also need to limit alcohol. Taking fish oil can help lower triglycerides as well.

LDL is "bad" cholesterol. HDL is "good" cholesterol. Having high cholesterol puts you at major risk for clogged arteries which can lead to heart attacks and strokes. To lower cholesterol, you should avoid ALL saturated fats. Increase your fiber. Fish can help lower cholesterol because of the omega 3. Pay very close attention to nutrition labels, specifically cholesterol. Buy LOW cholesterol foods. Eat lots of veggies.

Honestly, you may feel healthy but your blood work shows otherwise.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    It sounds like you are off to a great start. What kind of workouts do you do? I like to take group fitness classes at the gym in the mornings. I also do insanity at home.
  • awesome outlook thank you for your post!!!! :)
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    I need to lose 161lbs :(

Feels like a very very long journey compared to y'all. Given myself until August 2015 to do it!

Best of luck everyone xxxx xxxxx
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Thanks everyone! I know frozen dinners are not the healthiest but I'm just sooo lazy about cooking and cleaning. But I have this 1,340 calorie a day diet worked out that does included fresh organic vegetables and fruit, which I've been eating for the last week or so now. And I'm thinking I could cook something a couple of times a week, which usually means I'll have left-overs too. Like, I have some lean steak in the freezer that could be cooked and would go great with a salad. I have noticed that my sodium is very high and my carbs are a little high, and my protein is a little low (but not too bad). But what can I say, I love my snacks. Lol. I'll try to cut down on the frozen meals and cook a little more often, even though eating them did work before in terms of losing weight. It made it easy for me to keep track of my calories, and I was getting moderate exercise.
  • aleesha9109
    aleesha9109 Posts: 15 Member
    i am trying to lose 35 pounds to get into the navy! Im 5'11" & I have tried so hard to lose weight but it has been a very hard challenge. :)
  • naeyha1
    naeyha1 Posts: 15 Member
    34 pounds to goal weight... started at 164, now 154, goal weight 120.
  • LADY9GAZELL
    LADY9GAZELL Posts: 8 Member
    bkc81 wrote: »
    I started my new journey dec 5th.
    I've lost 18lbs since then.
    I'm averaging 2lbs a week (I weigh in every fri).
    I stick to the 1200 calories and I workout at least 4/5 times a week.
    I'm 5'3 currently 183. Ideally it would be awesome to see the 140s again -I like being curvy(that was the lowest I have gotten since being a mom)
    I was about 115 before kiddos.
    But at the same time,I'm trying to be realistic with myself.
    My body& hormones are not the same as they were when I was younger..
    Frozen dinners& shakes are def easy no mess meals
    I do mainly grilled chicken n fresh veggies for dinners
    And yah when I'm low on time ill do an easy shake.