Help with a healthy pizza?

Options

Replies

• cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use Flat Ons whole grain flatbread, 35 calorie spaghetti sauce, turkey pepperoni, fat free mozzarella cheese on top with onions, peppers, and mushrooms. It is so good and you don't have to take time to make dough. It satisfies my cravings for Pizza Hut and Papa John's!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

This looks amazing :happy: :happy: The crust is always a killer for calories when trying to make pizza, deffo giving this a try!! :heart:

for the love of god, no
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - buy your own thin curst and then add in some mozzarella, tomato sauce, chicken, pineapple, feta, and black olives..when I make this I believe the whole thing comes in at about 900 calories....which would be about 225 per each quarter of pizza...

I cook it on the grill to get a little extra crisp in the crust...
  • Greytfish
    Options

This looks amazing :happy: :happy: The crust is always a killer for calories when trying to make pizza, deffo giving this a try!! :heart:

for the love of god, no

Have you actually made one?
  • ndj1979
    Options

for the love of god, no

Have you actually made one?

no, I eat real pizza with real crust, because I am not scared of "carbs"...so there is no need for me to substitute something that was never meant to be substituted in the first place...
  • Greytfish
    Options
    no, I eat real pizza with real crust, because I am not scared of "carbs"...so there is no need for me to substitute something that was never meant to be substituted in the first place...

I knew that. Just wanted to hear you admit it.

Making changes to different food items is called cooking. It's an art and a process of experiementation and evolution.

A crust on a pizza is like a crust on a pie. It can be made of any variety of available ingredients because it's defined by it's form and function - it's a conduit for foods. If you do a bit of world traveling, you'll see many other versions of foods with which you're familiar. Thus, there is no such thing as "real" pizza. There's only what you've experience and what you haven't expereinced. But, of course, you can express an opinion about things you haven't experienced. Humor is refreshing.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Margherita pizza from a good pizza house
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    flatten chicken and use it for the crust
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Making changes to different food items is called cooking. It's an art and a process of experiementation and evolution.

A crust on a pizza is like a crust on a pie. It can be made of any variety of available ingredients because it's defined by it's form and function - it's a conduit for foods. If you do a bit of world traveling, you'll see many other versions of foods with which you're familiar. Thus, there is no such thing as "real" pizza. There's only what you've experience and what you haven't expereinced. But, of course, you can express an opinion about things you haven't experienced. Humor is refreshing.

Sorry, but no. Just no. I love good food entirely too much to eat garbage. Cauliflower has its uses but pizza crust isn't one of them. Flour is just fine.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Sorry, but no. Just no. I love good food entirely too much to eat garbage. Cauliflower has its uses but pizza crust isn't one of them. Flour is just fine.

Aurely, you've made it, right? :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Aurely, you've made it, right? :laugh:

Why would I even bother? Pizza crust is not merely some delivery vehicle as you claim above, it makes the pizza. I would no more eat cauliflower crust pizza and call it "pizza" than I would eat raw fish on top of rice without vinegar and call it "sushi." I eat good food and don't waste my time with cookbooks and recipes from people who are afraid of authentic ingredients. If you want to, be my guest. I'm able to enjoy real food and still maintain my health and fitness. I'm magical like that.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Why would I even bother? Pizza crust is not merely some delivery vehicle as you claim above, it makes the pizza. I would no more eat cauliflower crust pizza and call it "pizza" than I would eat raw fish on top of rice without vinegar and call it "sushi." I eat good food and don't waste my time with cookbooks and recipes from people who are afraid of authentic ingredients. If you want to, be my guest. I'm able to enjoy real food and still maintain my health and fitness. I'm magical like that.

You probably wouldn't bother. It would be effort to actually experience something before judging it. Worse, it would be logical.

I'm sure your opinion is of great value to people who don't cook, don't know how to cook, and don't know much about food.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

You probably wouldn't bother. It would be effort to actually experience something before judging it. Worse, it would be logical.

I'm sure your opinion is of great value to people who don't cook, don't know how to cook, and don't know much about food.

You assume quite a bit there. I respect my ingredients, have eaten foods most people haven't, and have enjoyed my share of $1000 meals by truly world class chefs. Food matters to me. I have no desire to make unnecessary substitutions. If you do, again be my guest, but I find your offense somewhat amusing. It's rather typical of the dieting set who are desperate to lower their calorie intake by any means necessary and miss the obvious option of simple portion control and more exercise. I am able to maintain on quite a few calories and damn, do I enjoy it. :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    Options

You are a pretty funny guy..I see what you tried to do there, amusing. I cook most of my own meals and have no problem eating things that are considered strange. Ever had ink jet risotto, or how about raw squid? I have. So don't try to slip in some BS attempt at "oh you have never traveled the world and never experienced certain foods" line...I do know that cauliflower and pizza - IMHO - have no business going together. I would much rather have wheat and flour for my crust, as I like it crispy and I prefer the taste of real wheat...

Good try though brother, I wait in breathless anticipation for your next attempt at snark and superior than thou commenting...
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you like real food, but like to come up with substitutions for said real food, and then criticize others for saying they prefer the food without the substitute? Legit...
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

NO DOUGH PIZZA!!!!!!! This one is a WINNER!!!!

Not really a pizza then eh?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I fancy that I know my way around the kitchen, and I'm a little impressed he knew the different between raw fish + rice and sushi.

I'm more impressed by the fact that he doesn't try to make a vegetable something it's not --like a pizza crust.
  • FailVibe
    Options
    Make the base using 1 cauliflower head and 1 egg(shred the cauliflower and combine with the eggs - spread it on a sheet of baking paper and give it a good 15 minutes in the oven on 175C before adding toppings)

Pizza sauce: Blend some tomatoes, garlic and basil.

And I'll say this; You can have your cheesy pizza! Just get a low-fat one, and don't overdo it.
    You can sub ham for chicken and add any veggies you like.

This pizza can be really big and only have 300 cals if you only add what you really want.
  • Padfoot_Prongs
    Options
    50g half-fat mozzarella cheese
    25g low-fat feta cheese
    20g tomato puree
    1 small white flour tortilla wrap
    5 cherry tomatoes
    30g baby spinach leaves
    Fresh basil leaves, to serve.

This serves one person, and is 246 calories! I'm making it at the weekend, I hope it goes well for you. :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    We make individual pizzas using pita pocket bread. Cut it in half lengthwise and toast (if you like your crust crispy) or don't if you don't. Depending on how many calories you're trying to cut you can use tomato sauce instead of "pizza sauce" (most pizza sauce in a jar or can has added sugar or high fructose corn syrup although I'm sure if you look around there are probably no-sugar added sauces in the natural/organic section of your grocery) and just add herbs to it so it isn't bland (I toss in a heavy dose of oregano and basil and a little thyme).

I use turkey pepperoni instead of regular as well and end up with a fairly low calorie decently filling version.

You could probably also doing a "chicken BBQ" pita pizza with chicken breast and a more savory as opposed to sweet bottled barbecue (we usually go with Stubb's) or make it yourself if so inclined.

And of course you can always do a veggie pizza to remove the meat calories if you don't skipping it.

And I'll also add: If only the "real thing" will satisfy, leave room within your macros by taking it easier on other meals and upping the workout and just eat take-out pizza.

ETA: I just had several slices of pizza for lunch...and it wasn't the pita version. :tongue: I'll just do my best to make it "fit" into the rest of the day.