Healthy Snacks??? WTF!!!

Options
Okay,

So I have been a good boy and have been eating "clean" for over 3 months.

-I don't want a cheat day
-I don't want a cheat meal
I want a cheat snack once a week.

Preferably under 200 calories and filling. Anyway I figured I would stay away from "bad" snacks like Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Keebler Cookies, Ice Cream sandwiches and look at "healthy" snacks. So I am at the store looking at the nutritional labels on granola bars, rice cakes, oatmeal bars, fiber bars, graham crackers, ritz crackers, saltines, etc etc etc and getting a headache. And to my amazement when you compare similar gram weights of the "healthly" snacks to Oreos, the Oreos (3 cookies) have a similar or better calorie/nutrient component than the healthy snacks. WTF!

So besides fruit, yogurt, jello, and low cal sugar free pudding, which I am leaning to anyway. Does anyone have any ideas on some good snack ideas I can look at. The low cal pudding and low cal whipped cream looks pretty good. I could get by on that for a few years.

BTW. These food companies are sneaky bastardos. They take Oreos, make them bite sized, stick them in a small package and label them as 100 calories Oreos. Hey, you are just putting fewer of the same damn Oreos in a smaller package. Don't tell me they are 100 calorie Oreos! They are the same Oreo.......

Replies

• daveinlancs
    daveinlancs Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you considered making low fat dips and having them with carrot sticks or slices of celery / capsicum. I use a low fat cheese spread as a base cut it with low fat yoghurt to increase volume but keep calories down, chop onion, chilis or garlic in for heat/flavour.

Great weight loss BTW.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I invested in a popcorn maker and pop my own kernels. Bit bland but you get used to it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    frozen yogurt? fewer calories than ice cream but yummy

you could make some sweet potato chips or kale chips
    mini pretzel twists
    Quaker Crispy Minis
    After Eight chocolates (40 cals per)

Congrats on your weight loss! To be honest I would eat what I wanted for a "cheat snack" and fit it in.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    frozen yogurt? fewer calories than ice cream but yummy

you could make some sweet potato chips or kale chips
    mini pretzel twists
    Quaker Crispy Minis
    After Eight chocolates (40 cals per)

Congrats on your weight loss! To be honest I would eat what I wanted for a "cheat snack" and fit it in.

edit: I overlooked the "clean" part sorry - but there must be some other alternatives
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "bad" about Oreos and ice cream sandwiches? Cite your sources, please.
  • emmullins55
    Options
    I am guessing you are talking only about sweet snacks? I have come to the conclusion that if I want a healthy sweet snack i have to make it mayself. Yeah I know it takes time but for example: try making your own trail mix with dry fruits and nuts. I try to stay away from sulfured dry fruits. Dates are incredibly sweet and can curb a sweet craving. I know alot of people are not used to them but they are an excellent food. Try baking, there are a ton of good recipes on the internet. I tried a homemade protein bar that my friend made and it was awesome. Besides we all know guys are better cooks than girls anyway. Good luck finding your "special treat."
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches
    And you're right -- many of the foods advertised as healthy are no better than Oreos. Go ahead and have the Oreos once a week if you like. Buy a single serving pack and eat it with joy and then go back to your "clean" menu.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you are talking only about sweet snacks? I have come to the conclusion that if I want a healthy sweet snack i have to make it myself.

You (the OP) have discovered the nasty truth about a lot of the processed foods that claim to be healthy. If they're low-fat they loaded them with sugar. If they're low sugar they're artificially sweetened. If they're not artificially sweetened they have high-fructose corn syrup. And the low calories in the 100-calorie packs come from portion control. (Same with "Healthy Choice" brand soups- the cans are smaller- and the tiny portions in Weight Watchers and HC frozen meals.)

I agree with the quote above and it doesn't have to be complicated. Start out with plain yogurt and add your own sweetener- that way you control the content. Another favorite of mine is a couple of squares of high-quality dark chocolate. I buy LIndt, which is 86% cacao.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    How is a 200 calorie snack a "cheat"?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "bad" about Oreos and ice cream sandwiches? Cite your sources, please.

It probably doesn't fit into a extremely low calorie count.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a protein bar - its loaded with protein has a nice dark chocolate on the outside ,crunchy and really is satisfying and they are not to sweet. The ones I buy have about 170 to 190 calories .

Greek yogurt with the high protein are pretty good as well.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    How about you eat 200 calories (or more!) of food you really like and call it a day.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Celery with peanut butter
    Dates
    Mixed nuts
    Quest protein bars
    Air popped popcorn ( you can buy low cal seasonings to shake on them or sprinkle with cinnamon)
    An apple sliced, sprinkle with cinnamon and warm in microwave
  • fificrazy
    Options

^ this...

because this original post kind of screams orthorexia...
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I suppose these aren't healthy snacks. However you did mention that you wanted 'cheat' snacks. I found that 25 calories, is very easy to fit into a diet... and so I had Plenty of 'cheat' snacks that I ate every day to keep my sweet tooth filled. Such as:

Andes mints : 25 calories each
    Marshmallows: The 'normal' sized ones are only 25 calories each!
    Dum-Dum's: 20 calories each
    (Also, I liked to buy the small individually wrapped candy bars, they don't go stale, and are easier to fit into a diet than full candy bars)

For a healthy Cheat snack I used Juice, 100% juice has a crazy amount of calories, but it is so good, and pretty good for you.
    Or jello, you might not think Jello is healthy but its actually really good for hair and nails.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    BTW. These food companies are sneaky bastardos. They take Oreos, make them bite sized, stick them in a small package and label them as 100 calories Oreos. Hey, you are just putting fewer of the same damn Oreos in a smaller package. Don't tell me they are 100 calorie Oreos! They are the same Oreo.......
    I don't know anyone who thinks the foods in the 100 calorie packs are any different than the original. The purpose of those products is to help people deal with portion control. 1) Most people don't know what 100 calories worth of cookies looks like. 2) Even for people who know what a reasonable portion is, it's much easier to limit intake when it's already in a ready to take portion...it's harder to stop once you open a regular, full size box of cookies.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great Value Cinnamon Roasted Almonds (coca ones are good too)......only a hand full though. I could eat the whole bag!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate - and it's actually good for your brain / antioxidents.

My cheat/reward meals usually conssist of Buffalo wings. The sauce has some bad sugar/carbs but I'm still getting tons of protein. So it's not all bad.

LeadingMuscle.com
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing it wrong.