Healthy Snacks??? WTF!!!

Options

Replies

• raileneperkins
    raileneperkins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter with honey on fruit or carrots. It is high in calories but 2 Tbs. is enough to feel like you ate something! So make ants on a log (PB in celery w/raisin on top) and enjoy the filling power of PB. Pretty sure the calories in 2 Tbs is under 200.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    talenti gelato ….oh wait that would be classified as "bad" by this OP ….suck to be you man, as you are missing out..

On a serious note, there are no "bad" snacks. If you can eat a couple Oreos, maintain your deficit, and ht your macros then you will still lose weight and can eat what you want.

It also sounds like you have restricted yourself to the point of madness…but hey, whatever works for you OP...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What exactly is "bad" about Oreos and ice cream sandwiches? Cite your sources, please.

I know it's hard to convey tone on the internet, but I have to admit, I read your post in a judgemental tone.

Maybe he just doesn't want to eat them?
    Perhaps they're a trigger food and will cause over indulgence and he still hasn't learnt portion control/resistance with those foods yet? I know I'm still learning that I can't have ice-cream in the house, because I will eat it all in one night! So for now, I don't buy ice-cream for at home. : )

whhhhaaaaat?? OP is the one labeling certain foods as bad and someone asks for evidence as to why they are bad and the response is that, that person is being judgmental??? Oh the irony …OP labels certain foods bad, but that is perfectly legitimate; someone questions said labeling and then is labeled as being judgmental…really?
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    talenti gelato ….oh wait that would be classified as "bad" by this OP ….suck to be you man, as you are missing out..

what is your favorite flavor?? I am having a hard time deciding which one to try next! :glasses:
  • oldholden
    oldholden Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Get your self one of these http://yonanas.com.au/ - if you are not in Australia I am certain you would find similar where you live.

It makes soft serve "ice cream" with only frozen fruit - nothing else !!
  • ndj1979
    Options

what is your favorite flavor?? I am having a hard time deciding which one to try next! :glasses:

raspberry chocolate chip is the BOMB…

i also like the belgium chocolate….
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    You take that back about Oreos, now!!!

Take it back!!!!

Poor Oreos never did nothing bad 'gainst no one no how . . .
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    When I want something sweet, I usually go for a few pieces of dark chocolate (25-50 calories each and very satisfying), or a 1/2 cup portion of ice cream. Just made a marvelous apple crisp from a Cooking Light cookbook that's about 200 calories for a portion--a small portion, mind you, but enough to let you know you've had something sweet and delicious. I'm new at this and I imagine I'll find other good indulgences as I go on.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    And why does everyone feel the need to defend Oreos from the charge of being "bad" food? They're highly processed, full of artificial ingredients, and lacking in nutrition--pretty much the definition of junk food. A few Oreos aren't going to kill you, but you can hardly argue they're a healthy choice. (And they don't even have much flavor!)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars seem to be my treat. They taste like cardboard mixed with cough syrup but that's what I like.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    And why does everyone feel the need to defend Oreos from the charge of being "bad" food? They're highly processed, full of artificial ingredients, and lacking in nutrition--pretty much the definition of junk food. A few Oreos aren't going to kill you, but you can hardly argue they're a healthy choice. (And they don't even have much flavor!)

they are not good or bad they are just food, period.
  • SummerIsis
    SummerIsis Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    my go-to 200-calorie snacks are:

Greek Yogurt with Frozen Blueberries or Frozen Cherries
    Greek Yogurt with peanuts and raisins
    Greek Yogurt Dip with Apples/Celery/Carrots/Pretzels for dipping (add cinnamon and honey or spices such as garlic, onion, dill)
    Peanuts and Raisins
    Chocolate Chia Pudding
    Olives and Macadamia Nuts
    Apple/Celery/Carrots with Peanut Butter

or just fresh fruit. I love eating a handful of blueberries and/or strawberries.
  • SummerIsis
    SummerIsis Posts: 141 Member
    Options

agreed. not all "foods" are created equal. many don't even meet the definition of food
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

No one said they are a healthy choice, but they are not "bad." They are just food. I imagine people are speaking up because they are tired of clean-eating proponents demonizing all foods that they don't eat, as it invariably devolves into finger-pointing about who's healthier. Because of course anyone who isn't eating clean is eating "bad" food all day long and there is no middle ground (for reference, see every clean eating thread on MFP). If someone doesn't want to eat Oreos, fine, but there is no reason to refer to food that others may choose to eat as crap or junk.
  • mychanges83
    mychanges83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like Pop chips and rice crackers
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of MFP's told me about this website-fooducate.com . They have an i-phone app if that is at all useful to you. Anyway, you can scan the bar code of prospective snacks and it will give you a "grade" for how healthy or not healthy the snack is for you. I do not always 100% agree with them but it is a start.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do? Get a bag or organic popping corn and a jar of coconut oil. Make your own popcorn at home and it tastes like theater popcorn!
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Airpop Popcorn Maker! I enjoyed this for snacks when I craved others...
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of "cheat" meal or snack. I eat all kinds of deliciousness and just make it fit into my calories. The majority of my food is nutrient rich, but I set aside a small portion each day for something that meets my emotional needs: chocolate covered pretzels, angel food cake, cinnamon almonds, water crackers and Nutella. Those are all on that list.

I don't think this is cheating. It's part of my lifestyle plan.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    What about chia pudding? You chia seeds with any milk, cream, or substitute like coconut milk/cream, almond. You can make chai flavor by adding cardamom, cinnamon, and vanilla. I sometimes make chocolate for my son. I do t add sugar to mine, but I add a bit to his. You can find recipes online.