Healthy Snacks??? WTF!!!

Options

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think you're cutting out way too many things out of your diet if you're thinking granola is a cheat snack.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    How is a 200 calorie snack a "cheat"?
    That's an excellent question.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're at the point that you don't even ask for a cheat day or meal, have whatever you want to have as cheat snack. I don't think you could do much harm. I can hardly think at any snack that could be considered "cheat" and "healthy" all at once.
  • StickingWithIt2015
    Options
    Try Belvita Cinnamon Biscuits. They have natural sugars and fat but are really tasty.
  • flannery2012
    flannery2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Buy a single serving pack and eat it with joy and then go back to your "clean" menu.

^YES
    I read an awesome forum post here recently, this girl has figured out how to lose her weight (albeit slowly) and continue to enjoy living. She's my new role model...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1193569-cookies-taste-better-than-skinny-feels?hl=cookies+taste+better+than+
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My snacks of choice are ...

Commercial Processed / Packaged: Yoplait yogurt. Beef Jerky. Bottle of Diet Soda. Nature's Bakery Fig Bars; Cheerios; Canned or Snack Pack size Green Beans, Carrots, Peas, Corn, Mushrooms, Olives. Bacon

Fresh Produce: Celery sliced like fries (and then dipped in mustard); Cantaloupe; Banana; Sliced Green Bell Pepper; Radishes; Green Onions

Now the thing is, to me it isn't so much a cheat, its figuring out where I'm going to get the biggest bang for my buck. In weight loss terms that's fill and flavor vs calorie intake. For that, the best I've found are the Celery sticks, Oatmeal, Banana, and Cantaloupe. From a nutrition balancing standpoint, in my list that'd probably be the Fig Bars. From the items you listed, the granola is likely to be fairly well rounded.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    If you're going to draw an arbitrary line between "good" and "bad" food, why would you use a "good" food for a cheat? If that makes up the bulk of your diet, then it's not really cheating to just eat more of it, is it?

If you're just looking for something that tastes sweet to try to mess with your own head, go with sugar free jello, or a bowl of frozen fruit/berries with low calorie whipped cream on top. Personally....I would just have some Oreos, a coke, and a smile.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing as a 'bad' or 'unhealthy' food (trans fats possibly being the exception). It's about your diet as a whole. If you are getting sufficient nutrients from your diet as it is, then you can have whatever you want - it will not make your diet suddenly 'unhealthy'.
  • smilyus
    smilyus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make your own? Here's some ideas for quick and easy:

Raw nuts with organic raisins/dried fruit (just watch the portions to keep it under 200)
    Homemade popcorn with oil/fat of choice & nutritional yeast or other seasoning (Look for a microwave popper so no hidden stuff)
    Organic tortilla chips that are basically just corn, oil, and sea salt (read labels) have 1 serving with salsa or hummus around 200
    Mug cakes (e.g. 2 tbl. whole wheat flour, 2 tbl. organic cocoa, 1/2 banana, sweetener of choice) - around 250-350 calories. google for recipe ideas
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "bad" about Oreos and ice cream sandwiches? Cite your sources, please.

I know it's hard to convey tone on the internet, but I have to admit, I read your post in a judgemental tone.

Maybe he just doesn't want to eat them?
    Perhaps they're a trigger food and will cause over indulgence and he still hasn't learnt portion control/resistance with those foods yet? I know I'm still learning that I can't have ice-cream in the house, because I will eat it all in one night! So for now, I don't buy ice-cream for at home. : )
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Are you just trying to avoid chemicals which remaining under 200 calories and a dessert? Why not just make homemade cookies or pie? You could freeze out 200 calorie portions.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    frozen yogurt? fewer calories than ice cream but yummy

you could make some sweet potato chips or kale chips
    mini pretzel twists
    Quaker Crispy Minis
    After Eight chocolates (40 cals per)

Congrats on your weight loss! To be honest I would eat what I wanted for a "cheat snack" and fit it in.

Hmmmm. After 8 chocolates at 40 cals...........................
  • BeckyS32
    BeckyS32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I make my own Homemade Larabars. There are a lot of recipes if you do a search for them. The base of them is some kind of nut and then dates to hold everything all together. My favorite is cashews, dates, almond butter and a little vanilla. Sometimes I add a few dark chocolate chips that I chop up. They taste like cookie dough but I don't feel guilty eating them. Before everyone flips out- yes, dates have a lot of sugar. In my opinion, I feel better about eating natural sugars rather than artificial.
    I have also make one with almonds, pecans, dates and pumpkin pie spice. It tastes like a cookie.
    They store really well in the freezer.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    What exactly is "bad" about Oreos and ice cream sandwiches? Cite your sources, please.

trying to stay under 200 calories. 3 oreos are about 150. 6 oreos are 'bout tree fiddy.......
  • misterspaceman
    misterspaceman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some of our favorite healthy snacks are:

* Fat-free greek yogurt + frozen fruit (make sure you get the kind with no sugar added)
    * Quinoa Pizza Bites: [http://www.nutritionalwisdom.com/recipes/quinoa-pizza-bites/] We make these on Sunday and keep them in the fridge for the week
    * Larabars (these are a bit high in carbs/calories/fat, so I'd limit them to 1/day. But they are DELICIOUS, convenient, and have 3-4 ingredients, all of which are nuts or fruit. No preservatives.)
    * Hard boiled eggs
    * Fruit: Oranges, bananas, grapes
    * Home-made ranch dressing or tzatziki sauce using greek yogurt, plus baby carrots for dipping. This ranch recipe is ok...may want to be generous with the spices (except the onion powder): http://fitmiss.org/clean-eating-ranch-dressing-that-my-kids-will-eat/
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Slow churn ice cream
  • smilyus
    smilyus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you just trying to avoid chemicals which remaining under 200 calories and a dessert? Why not just make homemade cookies or pie? You could freeze out 200 calorie portions.

Exactly. Search for recipes for "clean" snacks and desserts. There are also a lot of resources for single-serving desserts if you don't want to have a freezer full of sweets. Many are not that difficult to make.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Dark Chocolate - and it's actually good for your brain / antioxidents.

My cheat/reward meals usually conssist of Buffalo wings. The sauce has some bad sugar/carbs but I'm still getting tons of protein. So it's not all bad.

LeadingMuscle.com

I used Red Devil Cayenne Pepper sauce in place in Buffalo sauce. No cal No carbs
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Honestly, if you're at the point that you don't even ask for a cheat day or meal, have whatever you want to have as cheat snack. I don't think you could do much harm. I can hardly think at any snack that could be considered "cheat" and "healthy" all at once.

Doesn't have to be healthy. I just want something tasty, sweet, and filling under 200 calories.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

This

If I want a sweet snack then I might have something along the lines of 2 Oreos (small bwl of ice cream, handful of potato chips) . I can surely arrange my calories and macros to allow for a small treat once a week. Maybe the problem lies not in the Oreos but in consuming more than a reasonable amount.