Seriously.

Options

Replies

• Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    fast food > supporting walmart. always.

side note: what did dominoes do to their new pizza to make it so damn good?! garlic salt on the crust or somethin? yummmmmmm

Right?! I was just thinking this the other day when I ordered a pie and I don't usually even LIKE dominoes!

you USED to not like em...now you crave it!
    omg me too!

SERIOUSLY.

idgnko.jpg

2wg4x9h.jpg
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is all good and well as long as you don't live in a food desert, have the mental/physical ability to cook for yourself, and have sales everyday of the week.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Okay well the prices on the groceries might be a little outdated but so is the price of the fast food - a bucket of chicken meal deal here would be close to $40 so the comparison is accurate. Pizza is still cheap here but fast food isn't as cheap as peeps think.

Also those prices are possible on a lot of the grocery items IF you watch your sale flyers and shop accordingly and don't go for the 'name brand" - often the "store brand" items are just as good.

The arguments about the gas costs to go grocery shopping is a little out there as you would drive to get the fast food and honestly there isn't a single person I know that NEVER grocery shops so quit using that lamo excuse.

Just my opinion! Have a good evening :happy:
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    vre_buy2.jpg

vre_buy3.jpg

Grocery prices from Wal-Mart and Meijer in Noblesville, Indiana, and Cincinnati, Ohio; fast food prices from the greater Indianapolis and Cincinnati areas, 2010

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket

$2 jug of milk?!

That jug, here in Calgary, Alberta would cost $5.67 ... and I know because I just bought it. And yes, that's the Walmart price.

What my family eats is based entirely on what's on sale. We eat as healthy as we can but we can't go broke doing it.

We buy frozen fruit instead of fresh, which rumour has it .. has just as many nutrients.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    $1.67 for 1 lb strawberries?? Try $5.67 :( Everything on the healthy option is at least 2-3 or more times expensive .

This exactly!! My grocery bill has went up tremendously and we eat out just as much as we did before.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Also.. where I think this pic fails...
    Everything from Burger King is cooked already. The healthy stuff on the bottom is a lot more work. You have to go buy it all at the grocery store, you have to put it all in your car, take it all inside when you get home and put it away, and lastly, you still have to cook it. If you go buy all this food already prepared from a restaurant, it is going to cost you WAY MORE than whatever a trip to Burger King cost.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    1240410_725385654152002_297980826_n.jpg

I wish. Not in oc California
  • Stahltkd
    Stahltkd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It also depends on where you shop. If I shop my local Publix - 6.00/lb for bonless / skinless chicken. If I shop my meat market - 2.98/lb for the same thing. The only catch is that I would have buy 10lbs to get that price.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Really want a double whopper with cheese, no pickle please, now please.... please please please!
    :sad:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Everything from Burger King is cooked already. The healthy stuff on the bottom is a lot more work. You have to go buy it all at the grocery store, you have to put it all in your car, take it all inside when you get home and put it away, and lastly, you still have to cook it.

Exactly. Given the consensus that the prices are wildly outdated, there are other issues here. The food in the second picture requires: available time and energy to cook, knowledge of how to cook, access to nearby grocery stores, available transport, and regular shopping trips to maximise produce freshness. Not everyone has those things available to them. The other thing with buying healthy food is it often requires a higher initial outlay, like to buy stuff in bulk or when it's on special in order to reduce overall cost. Not everyone has the ability to make that higher initial outlay.

ETA: based on grocery prices in New Zealand, the stuff in the second picture would cost approximately $80-95 to purchase. Burger King here offers similar deals to the top picture for under $25.
  • gregs_gal
    gregs_gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    vre_buy2.jpg

vre_buy3.jpg

Grocery prices from Wal-Mart and Meijer in Noblesville, Indiana, and Cincinnati, Ohio; fast food prices from the greater Indianapolis and Cincinnati areas, 2010

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket

Staying as close to the photo of the chicken meal (in price and items purchased), here's how the bill would break out if I shopped the two stores I frequent most regularly. We don't have peaches or corn on the cob in stores right now (since they're super out of season) so I've replaced them with things I buy this time of year. Also, we don't eat potatoes often at all, so I lowered it to 6 lbs knowing we wouldn't eat much more than that in a week's time or before they went bad (we'd rather have rice/quinoa).

Chicken - $1.88/lb (bought last week while it was on sale. Stocked up when the price is this low and freeze it) 2 lbs = $3.76
    6 lbs potatoes - 2 lbs/$.99, 6 lbs = $2.97 (buying a 10 lb bag of potatoes would be comparable)
    Brussel Sprouts (instead of corn on the cob) $.98/lb, 1lb = $.98
    Apples (instead of peaches) $.98/lb, 1lb = $.98
    Milk 2/$3.98, 1 gallon = $1.99
    1 lb 96% beef = $5.99 (subsitute ground turkey for healthier option that costs $3.99/lb)
    24 oz Greek Gods yogurt 2/$6, 1 tub = $3
    18 oz oats (steel cut from bulk bin) $.99/lb, 18 oz = $1.33
    2 bags frozen vegetables $2.00
    1 lb dried beans = $1.50

Total Cost: $24.50

Yes, it's a little more expensive than the fast food and YES I would have to prepare it myself, but this also creates how many meals for my family versus the couple the fried chicken meal covers? And if I plan right, I can roast chicken for the week all at once and only have to make sides. OR I could find a crock pot recipe which would require minimal effort on my part.
  • geeberscreepers
    geeberscreepers Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to leave Scotland for the US then.

41228474.png
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    food-deserts.jpg

The image gets cropped, you can find it here
    http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/usda-defines-food-deserts

If you google food deserts you can find more detailed images like this one, showing city by city view of the problem in the US.

chicago-food-dessert.gif
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yeah the prices are off for both the fast food and the healthy food. Only difference I see is the convenience of fast food being prepared for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…to see where this goes...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    vre_buy2.jpg

vre_buy3.jpg

so comparison from four years ago ..legit...
  • 2nd_Coffee
    Options
    UATdA.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    $1.67 for 1 lb strawberries?? Try $5.67 :( Everything on the healthy option is at least 2-3 or more times expensive .

Yeah, February isn't exactly strawberry season.

Fresh almost anything season, for that matter. What season was this list compiled, for that matter. :noway:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    food-deserts.jpg

The image gets cropped, you can find it here
    http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/usda-defines-food-deserts

If you google food deserts you can find more detailed images like this one, showing city by city view of the problem in the US.

chicago-food-dessert.gif

Thank you for the link. Very interesting & enlightening.
  • Christine_120
    Options
    I have cooked for a family of 6 for 20 plus years and know how to stretch a dollar but not as much as their calculations are stretched. The only thing they really need to emphasize is that you can feed a family with planning for $.75 - $1.50 per portion for dinners on a regular basis if you shop regularly and have everyday pantry ingredients in your home then supplement a protein and veg!!
    I live in Canada so fruit in the winter is like gold! But eating fast food for my family is $35 for 6 meal deals and I can cook fricken steak and shrimp for that price!!
    PS I live 1.5 hours away from a Costco but have smaller grocery store with crap product in my town!