Seriously.

Options
1235»

Replies

• rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Wow, prices in the states are considerably cheaper.

Nope. Below that pic it said the ad was from 2010. You can't touch 2 pounds of chicken breasts for $1.98 anywhere!
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Would have been more appealing if they did a side-by-side of fast food and the ingredients of the home-made version of those foods. If I'm seriously thinking about eating KFC a bag of uncooked lentils is not going to do it for me. And those Kashi crackers may have been cheap but they are definitely not a pizza. If they showed me how many pizzas I could make out of $20 worth of flour, yeast, cheese, pepperoni and tomato sauce, I'd be more likely to be impressed.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I laugh at these "prices." Everything is at least twice as much for me.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Would have been more appealing if they did a side-by-side of fast food and the ingredients of the home-made version of those foods. If I'm seriously thinking about eating KFC a bag of uncooked lentils is not going to do it for me. And those Kashi crackers may have been cheap but they are definitely not a pizza. If they showed me how many pizzas I could make out of $20 worth of flour, yeast, cheese, pepperoni and tomato sauce, I'd be more likely to be impressed.

I could make four or five pepperoni pizzas for 20 bucks. It typically will cost me about t2 bucks to make three pizzas, one cheese, one combo and one pepperoni. My pizzas are about the size of a cookie sheet.

Hey, I have five kids and we like leftovers. .
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    um 5 large pizzas from ceasars is about $20 w/ tax. I can buy, nope cant really buy healthy food to feed a family of six for $20. :( I sure can buy box stuff cheap though. :/
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    um 5 large pizzas from ceasars is about $20 w/ tax. I can buy, nope cant really buy healthy food to feed a family of six for $20. :( I sure can buy box stuff cheap though. :/

I buy healthy food all the time for cheap. The homemade chicken noodle soup I made last night cost about eight dollars and fed all seven of us with leftovers.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    The prices are out of whack (it is mid winter when fruit and veg are at their highest so it should be) OTOH you can always cook something tastier for less than fast food. Part of eating really inexpensive is learning to cook the off cuts that are often overlooked. I'm a pretty firm believer in snout to tail eating which means I've learned to make some interesting things at points (I had very tasty lamb necks as part of a lentil soup the other day - and I'll be making beef cheeks at some point this week) I try to eat local and get a local veg box in winter but it's pretty limited, I'll be glad when the markets kick in again in the late spring. For items like fruit i shop the sales at this time of year (I got a pint of strawberries for $2 the other day - a loss leader for the supermarket i'm sure as I buy flats of 8 at work for $27 )
  • SnugglePuggles
    Options
    You can't compare what you can buy off a value meal to what you can buy at the store - that's not apples to apples. If you compare a value meal at a fast food place, you have to compare what you can get that is healthy at a fast food place. AND... it is CHEAPER to buy the crap food. It's always cheaper to buy the bad food because that's where the demand is and that's what makes them money.

And people proved my point, response after response... you can feed your family for $10... well, I can feed them cheaper with bad food for around $8.

The real argument here is not that eating healthy is cheaper, it is not. However, eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. And, if you are on a budget, there are foods you might not be able to afford, however, you can still learn to budget, be wise and find deals.
  • frozenhands
    frozenhands Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just went to Walmart yesterday for ground meat for my man for dinner. 1lb was $4.68 and he eats that in one sitting then has a bowl of cereal. I hate grocery shopping. We go through so much food so quickly. I feel like the only reason I work is so I can go to the store and spend my whole check trying to feed just two of us. I try to go to our local Bottom Dollar when we need stuff because that is literally the most affordable place to shop. I can get a HUGE bunch of bananas for .22/lb there and even the ground meat is less than Walmart's price. Hell, I can get double my groceries at BD than at any other store. Shopping there definitely reduced my bill compared to shopping at Giant Eagle by at least $100 but it's still outrageous what things cost these days.
    P.S. Frozen veggies are outrageously cheap at BD, so if you live in the Pittsburgh area, that's where you should be shopping.