Hey, Fat Girl.

Options
124»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people like it but I find it incredibly condescending. YMMV.

I think it's mean spirited masquerading as inspiring. But, you take what you can from where you can.

I think if you're the type of person that is willing to stand in the mirror and call yourself names, or has a tendency to be sarcastic or engage in trash talk, then this is inspiring. I am, so it is. To me.

If you are the type of person that prefers a more overtly positive self talk, and prefers overtly supportive motivation, then it probably does come off as condescending as hell.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm actually that first type. But I won't take it from anyone else. Lol. Perhaps I'm an anomaly.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm just wrong . . .

It wouldn't be the first time!

I actually find pretty much all "inspirational" stuff incredibly trite.

But in this case I can't really put my finger on why I dislike it so much. It doesn't have anything to do with the use of "fat" though. It's just the overall tone.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Overly sensitive knee-jerk reactionist bull**** makes me mad.
    Newsflash. If you are fat, and a girl, you are a fat girl.
    Accept it. Deal with it. Own it.

If you don't LIKE being fat, go out there, put on your big girl panties and go do something about it. It's not easy and it sure as hell isn't fun to start with, but if you're offended by someone calling you a fat girl when you are IN FACT a fat girl... The issue is yours not theirs.

Conversely, if you're a fat girl and you accept it and own it and deal with it and LIKE being a fat girl, then get down with your bad self and be fat and kick *kitten*. The word fat is just a word. I don't get offended when people call me "white girl".
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • RockingGranny
    RockingGranny Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Overly sensitive knee-jerk reactionist bull**** makes me mad.
    Newsflash. If you are fat, and a girl, you are a fat girl.
    Accept it. Deal with it. Own it.

If you don't LIKE being fat, go out there, put on your big girl panties and go do something about it. It's not easy and it sure as hell isn't fun to start with, but if you're offended by someone calling you a fat girl when you are IN FACT a fat girl... The issue is yours not theirs.

Conversely, if you're a fat girl and you accept it and own it and deal with it and LIKE being a fat girl, then get down with your bad self and be fat and kick *kitten*. The word fat is just a word. I don't get offended when people call me "white girl".

This!
  • wenshel7
    wenshel7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "like" button on MFP forum.

Me too!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I think it's mean spirited masquerading as inspiring. But, you take what you can from where you can.

I think if you're the type of person that is willing to stand in the mirror and call yourself names, or has a tendency to be sarcastic or engage in trash talk, then this is inspiring. I am, so it is. To me.

If you are the type of person that prefers a more overtly positive self talk, and prefers overtly supportive motivation, then it probably does come off as condescending as hell.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm actually that first type. But I won't take it from anyone else. Lol. Perhaps I'm an anomaly.

But in this case I can't really put my finger on why I dislike it so much. It doesn't have anything to do with the use of "fat" though. It's just the overall tone.

I feel that way about fitspo in particular. I guess we all have to find our personal motivation.

Mine is beer.

I love beer.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Just my 2 cents.

I feel that way about fitspo in particular. I guess we all have to find our personal motivation.

Mine is beer.

I love beer.

Mine is to look hot as *kitten* naked.

Because who needs clothes.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I remember feeling this way when I started running...now I am starting to lift and I feel it all over again- I dont want to go out onto the floor with all the people because I am a beginner. I needed this post to remember the days of being a beginner runner...I will hold my head high next Body Pump class and remember I am STRONG.
  • misshalll
    Options
    This is fab. I feel like i'm losing the battle all the time but actually just by dragging my butt out to do it, i'm winning! What a surprise!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, all I can hear when I read the title to this thread is The Humpty Dance.

"Hey yo, fat girl, come here
    Are you ticklish
    Yeah, I called you fat
    Look at me, I'm skinny
    It never stopped me
    From getting busy"
  • Heather_Nichole15
    Heather_Nichole15 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Tonight I won't worry about how I look, I will just run.

Thank you for sharing this.
  • lferron
    lferron Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This made me cry. Thanks.
  • AntnNicsMom
    AntnNicsMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was that fat girl...love this!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Just my 2 cents.

You're not an anomaly.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For those of you who were inspired by this here is another one that is similar and the two of these kept me going when I started running at 235lbs. I felt like I was too fat to be running and that everyone would be mocking me for it. To know that there might be just one person out there who might be silently cheering me on really inspired me. I might have been fat but I was out there busting my but trying to get fit.

http://i.imgur.com/6jEWN.png
  • theycallmelynds
    Options
    I do too
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this! Fantabulous post! Thanks for sharing!