Co-worker doubting my methods.

Options
This morning my co-worker attempted to debate with me about weight loss. The conversation went as such:

She was drinking a veggie drink, totally green and I said what are you drinking? She responded "vegetables". I nodded in approval and said "I know the feeling, I'm too trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet."

She responded "What are you eating anyways?" with kind of an attitude. (It's just the type of person she is). I then said "Well, for starters I had honey bunches of oats energy mix with almond milk for breakfast"

She responded in turn "See, theres your issue, thats processed, you can't lose weight that way." I said "Well, I'm eating at a calorie deficit." She said "No, that's not true, you can't lose weight by reducing calories, only by eating clean because processed foods DIRECTLY put on fat, my dad just lectured me about this."

I didn't even respond. Just silence and moved onto another subject.

It frustrates me that she's attempting to tell me that my weight loss method is wrong and not working. When, well, I've lost weight so far.

I feel like it's kind of a negative thing for her to do, and mind you she isn't very fit herself. I don't want it to bother me but... it kind of is.

Replies

• MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    People like that are so frustrating!!!! GRR!!! Keep doing what you are doing and your success will be the best "revenge." :flowerforyou:
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Next time ask what her Dad does for a living.

Just let it roll off your back, you're making progress that's what counts.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    She can eat clean all day long....but if shes not at a deficit, she wont lose weight. Healthy food choices are great,but eat too much of those healthy things and...
    Sound like you have a handle on things. Keep on your path, I bet she will be asking for your advice soon.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

It makes me just wanna shake her! lol
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Just ignore her. Sounds like she is trying to lose weight too. Give it some time and if and if she hasn't made progress, kindly suggest she try something different because it's working so well for you.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    lol. Tell her that you will continue this conversation in 3 months and see whose theory works better :)
  • Crateria_
    Options
    lol. Tell her that you will continue this conversation in 3 months and see whose theory works better :)
    I like that idea, hahaha :)
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight that is concrete evidence that it's working for you.

One thing I will say is to bear in mind the amount of refined sugar in your meals. As a rule of thumb I generally avoid anything where added sugar is an ingredient, or if I can't avoid added sugar, I ensure it isn't one of the first three ingredients. That obviously excludes 'good' sugars like honey and agarve. I mean in things like cereals and other packaged foods. Another thing to consider is how good the calories are that you're eating. I read somewhere on another forum that just because you have 200kcals left for the day, doesn't mean you should head straight for a 200kcal chocolate bar. 200kcal of fruit/veg/100% peanut butter is much better than 200kcal of chocolate/sweets.

Ignore what people say to you - as I said before, if it's working for you that's all that matters. GOOD LUCK!
  • WheezyFbb
    WheezyFbb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love the "gotta eat clean to lose weight" crowd. You're lucky you didn't get the lecture on why organic products are better.
  • Crateria_
    Options

One thing I will say is to bear in mind the amount of refined sugar in your meals. As a rule of thumb I generally avoid anything where added sugar is an ingredient, or if I can't avoid added sugar, I ensure it isn't one of the first three ingredients. That obviously excludes 'good' sugars like honey and agarve. I mean in things like cereals and other packaged foods. Another thing to consider is how good the calories are that you're eating. I read somewhere on another forum that just because you have 200kcals left for the day, doesn't mean you should head straight for a 200kcal chocolate bar. 200kcal of fruit/veg/100% peanut butter is much better than 200kcal of chocolate/sweets.

Ignore what people say to you - as I said before, if it's working for you that's all that matters. GOOD LUCK!
    Haha oh yeah, definitely. I'd feel really bad about myself if I was like OH SWEET 300 CALORIES LEFT and spent it on a donut. (Even though trust me.. the thought has crossed my mind :P)

Thanks! :)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time. My suggestion - smile, say thank you for your opinion and recommend that she do a little research on her own (I know, unthinkable in today's 10-second info bite world) and even (aghast) join MFP with you. If she balks, drop it. You can lead a horse to water....
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Haha oh yeah, definitely. I'd feel really bad about myself if I was like OH SWEET 300 CALORIES LEFT and spent it on a donut. (Even though trust me.. the thought has crossed my mind :P)

Hey don't worry - I'm not saying I haven't done this! Just not everyday when I have calories left (I save it for my treat meals) - we can't be saints all the time; we are human after all!
  • rworton
    Options
    What you don't realize is her father is the smartest person she know:therefore, anything you say will pale in comparison to her daddy.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

Clearly the correct choice is a brownie!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY understand the frustration. I have no idea when it became okay to judge someone's meal choice. My former boss was very obese and was always trying these radical new diet plans to try to lose weight. I thought it was awesome that he was trying to become healthier but I never commented on anything he was eating. One day he came over to my desk and I was eating my usual morning snack of a Luna Protein bar. He looked at me in disgust and says "ugh! Those have SO much sugar in them! Good luck trying to lose weight eating that!" At that time I was in maintenance so it was double-insulting. People are ridiculous sometimes. Just gotta vent here, brush it off and go on with your bad self. :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Don't let people like that get to you. Most people take weightloss personally because so many people are dealing with the struggle. So everyone thinks their way is the right way. What everyone needs to realize is there are many methods that work for people. It's about doing what's right for you! Keep your head high. :flowerforyou:
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    she sounds like a brat
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    haters gonna hate
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just continue doing what you're doing. I get that it's hard to ignore people who think they know it all, but not letting it get to you is the best thing for you. :)

Great job on your loss, so far. Keep up the good work!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If she's drinking her veggies, they obviously went through some kind of process. "Processed food" is just code for "I don't really know what process I'm talking about but I'm going to white knuckle through this by holding onto a philosophy I can't explain in specific terms."