Co-worker doubting my methods.

Options

Replies

• Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight that is concrete evidence that it's working for you.

One thing I will say is to bear in mind the amount of refined sugar in your meals. As a rule of thumb I generally avoid anything where added sugar is an ingredient, or if I can't avoid added sugar, I ensure it isn't one of the first three ingredients. That obviously excludes 'good' sugars like honey and agarve. I mean in things like cereals and other packaged foods. Another thing to consider is how good the calories are that you're eating. I read somewhere on another forum that just because you have 200kcals left for the day, doesn't mean you should head straight for a 200kcal chocolate bar. 200kcal of fruit/veg/100% peanut butter is much better than 200kcal of chocolate/sweets.

Ignore what people say to you - as I said before, if it's working for you that's all that matters. GOOD LUCK!
    Haha oh yeah, definitely. I'd feel really bad about myself if I was like OH SWEET 300 CALORIES LEFT and spent it on a donut. (Even though trust me.. the thought has crossed my mind :P)

Thanks! :)
    Clearly the correct choice is a brownie!
    Now you're speaking my language!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    This morning my co-worker attempted to debate with me about weight loss. The conversation went as such:

She was drinking a veggie drink, totally green and I said what are you drinking? She responded "vegetables". I nodded in approval and said "I know the feeling, I'm too trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet."

She responded "What are you eating anyways?" with kind of an attitude. (It's just the type of person she is). I then said "Well, for starters I had honey bunches of oats energy mix with almond milk for breakfast"

She responded in turn "See, theres your issue, thats processed, you can't lose weight that way." I said "Well, I'm eating at a calorie deficit." She said "No, that's not true, you can't lose weight by reducing calories, only by eating clean because processed foods DIRECTLY put on fat, my dad just lectured me about this."

I didn't even respond. Just silence and moved onto another subject.

It frustrates me that she's attempting to tell me that my weight loss method is wrong and not working. When, well, I've lost weight so far.

I feel like it's kind of a negative thing for her to do, and mind you she isn't very fit herself. I don't want it to bother me but... it kind of is.

She is talking b0110cks. Tell her I said so.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Just grin and walk away from people like that.

In a couple of months she'll see the positive changes you have made by way of weight loss or looking better or whatever else...and you will feel great.

Last spring I worked at a law firm with all of these women who were doing a drastic fad diet. They had been on and off of this fad diet for months and each had lost quite a bit but they were focused on losing tons at once...like 7-10 lb in 1 week and then nothing for awhile. Long story short, they were obese women whose weight had come down maybe 20 lb over a year. But super proud because it happened like 7 lb in a week. I told them I was doing MFP and they lectured me on how it didn't work. At that point I'd lost 20 lb over 3 months. I've now lost almost 40 more pounds with MFP. I don't see some of them at all since I have a new job, but I saw one of them at Target and she just stared. She was no smaller and I'm a lot thinner than I was.

LOL
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Every one has an opinion on the best way to lose weight. A few months back I went for a pedicure and the lady noticed I had lost weight (40lbs!) and she asked what I was doing. I responded, eating less and moving more. She asked for a typical day so I told her I generally don't eat breakfast, I'm a coffee drinker until noon and then my day starts. Well you can imagine the lecture on how important breakfast is and that I'll never keep the weight off if I don't incorporate a morning meal....I'm ruining my metabolism...etc etc. And because she lost weight eating breakfast that's the way everyone should lose weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have a rule - I do not discuss dieting with most people in real life. I avoid bringing it up like the plague. If someone asks me a question, I answer vaguely and move on. My "diet" (as in what I eat) is not open for debate. The odd time if someone really wants to ask and isn't just looking for a debate, I may talk. I don't debate methods.
    The moment you start talking about it, you open the door for people to comment - and people will comment.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    lol. Tell her that you will continue this conversation in 3 months and see whose theory works better :)
    I like that idea, hahaha :)
    Why not have some fun with it - and motivate both of you in the process?

Suggest a three month contest, where both of you follow your respective plans, and then some simple reward at the end for the "winner." (It could be something simple like a healthy lunch that the winner chooses and the loser buys.)

The most likely outcome then becomes that both of you are motivated to be "right," you both reach your goals faster than you would have otherwise, and she realizes that there isn't a one-size-fits-all plan that is perfect for everybody. That's a win-win! (And maybe a free lunch... :laugh: )
  • Crateria_
    Options
    Just grin and walk away from people like that.

In a couple of months she'll see the positive changes you have made by way of weight loss or looking better or whatever else...and you will feel great.

Last spring I worked at a law firm with all of these women who were doing a drastic fad diet. They had been on and off of this fad diet for months and each had lost quite a bit but they were focused on losing tons at once...like 7-10 lb in 1 week and then nothing for awhile. Long story short, they were obese women whose weight had come down maybe 20 lb over a year. But super proud because it happened like 7 lb in a week. I told them I was doing MFP and they lectured me on how it didn't work. At that point I'd lost 20 lb over 3 months. I've now lost almost 40 more pounds with MFP. I don't see some of them at all since I have a new job, but I saw one of them at Target and she just stared. She was no smaller and I'm a lot thinner than I was.

LOL
    hahaha, PERFECT!

That's so great :)))
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a rule - I do not discuss dieting with most people in real life. I avoid bringing it up like the plague.

Why would you bring it up like the plague? How often do you bring up the plague, anyway? :laugh: :wink: :bigsmile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have a rule - I do not discuss dieting with most people in real life. I avoid bringing it up like the plague.

Why would you bring it up like the plague? How often do you bring up the plague, anyway? :laugh: :wink: :bigsmile:

:laugh:

I guess that figure of speech doesn't work well here.
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    Should have responded, "I have fourteen lost pounds that disagree with you." and just gone on with your day.

Just keep doing what works for you. Eventually, most of the tools will realize that you're just not listening, and will take their toxicity and ignorance elsewhere.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bert_eyes.gif
  • Crateria_
    Options
    lol. Tell her that you will continue this conversation in 3 months and see whose theory works better :)
    I like that idea, hahaha :)
    Why not have some fun with it - and motivate both of you in the process?

Suggest a three month contest, where both of you follow your respective plans, and then some simple reward at the end for the "winner." (It could be something simple like a healthy lunch that the winner chooses and the loser buys.)

The most likely outcome then becomes that both of you are motivated to be "right," you both reach your goals faster than you would have otherwise, and she realizes that there isn't a one-size-fits-all plan that is perfect for everybody. That's a win-win! (And maybe a free lunch... :laugh: )
    I'd love to do that, but she's moving away by the end of this month! Siiigh. She won't be able to see my hotness in a few months... ;P
  • Crateria_
    Options
    I have a rule - I do not discuss dieting with most people in real life. I avoid bringing it up like the plague. If someone asks me a question, I answer vaguely and move on. My "diet" (as in what I eat) is not open for debate. The odd time if someone really wants to ask and isn't just looking for a debate, I may talk. I don't debate methods.
    The moment you start talking about it, you open the door for people to comment - and people will comment.
    I'll take on this rule.

It came up, initially, during lunch, they invaded my space while I was eating and criticized my small lunch.
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If she's drinking her veggies, they obviously went through some kind of process. "Processed food" is just code for "I don't really know what process I'm talking about but I'm going to white knuckle through this by holding onto a philosophy I can't explain in specific terms."

I was thinking the same thing. Turning veggies into a beverage is processing. If she bought it alread bottled, it is processed. Now if she made it in her own kitchen, it is not what we usually mean by processed foods. But juicing veggies strips them of the fiber. If she got snotty with me like that I would have said, 'To bad you didn't just eat the veggies, now you wont get all that great fiber and you will have to eat more to get your fiber in," and then walked away.

I need more fiber myself. I've bought celery to eat. But I get tired of it fast.
  • chelito2000
    Options
    so true !
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on McDonalds if you have a deficit.
  • chelito2000
    Options
    3dogs running. Do have any advise for a person who works with a loving Boss . That continiously brings delicious sweets to work.. Puts on a plate in front of you. And asks you to have some. I dont have that kind of will power. Sometimes i tell her i will save it for later and throw it in the trash when no one is looking . But i feel so bad. :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Lunira
    Lunira Posts: 33
    Options
    I'll take on this rule.

It came up, initially, during lunch, they invaded my space while I was eating and criticized my small lunch.

Dieter - "I'm not a child, you're not my mother, and I will eat as I see fit. Thank you."

Idiot - "But..." <bla bla bla, more intrusive, overbearing, nosy bull****, and often motivated by jealousy>

Dieter - "I'm not a child, you're not my mother, and I will eat as I see fit. Thank you."

Repeat as necessary until they either leave or change the subject. It might not sound "nice", but you have to have firm boundaries with people like this, or else they will walk all over you.
  • AutumnFrostfall
    AutumnFrostfall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing works for you, then just roll with it. I can't have most processed foods myself but I'd never tell you or anyone else not to eat it. _I_ can't have that therefor YOU can't have it either mentality, ugh. Everyone is different & what works for some people (drinking a shake of veggies) might not work for someone else (me - I'll take my drinks as chai tea minus veggies). If someone doesn't like something, they won't stick with it & that's important too.

Don't let her attitude get to you. :) Congrats on the progress you've made so far!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's kind of a negative thing for her to do, and mind you she isn't very fit herself. I don't want it to bother me but... it kind of is.

So? Prove her wrong. It's easy to argue ideas, it's hard to argue with results.