Co-worker doubting my methods.

Options

Replies

• Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing works for you, then just roll with it. I can't have most processed foods myself but I'd never tell you or anyone else not to eat it. _I_ can't have that therefor YOU can't have it either mentality, ugh. Everyone is different & what works for some people (drinking a shake of veggies) might not work for someone else (me - I'll take my drinks as chai tea minus veggies). If someone doesn't like something, they won't stick with it & that's important too.

Don't let her attitude get to you. :) Congrats on the progress you've made so far!

Thank you! I appreciate that :)
  • Crateria_
    Options
    I feel like it's kind of a negative thing for her to do, and mind you she isn't very fit herself. I don't want it to bother me but... it kind of is.

So? Prove her wrong. It's easy to argue ideas, it's hard to argue with results.

Amen!!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Why not have some fun with it - and motivate both of you in the process?

Suggest a three month contest, where both of you follow your respective plans,

And I guarantee your coworker will be doing this:

tumblr_lxtj83gJAb1qcpp05o1_400.gif
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    People like that are so frustrating!!!! GRR!!! Keep doing what you are doing and your success will be the best "revenge." :flowerforyou:
    +1
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This morning my co-worker attempted to debate with me about weight loss. The conversation went as such:

She was drinking a veggie drink, totally green and I said what are you drinking? She responded "vegetables". I nodded in approval and said "I know the feeling, I'm too trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet."

She responded "What are you eating anyways?" with kind of an attitude. (It's just the type of person she is). I then said "Well, for starters I had honey bunches of oats energy mix with almond milk for breakfast"

She responded in turn "See, theres your issue, thats processed, you can't lose weight that way." I said "Well, I'm eating at a calorie deficit." She said "No, that's not true, you can't lose weight by reducing calories, only by eating clean because processed foods DIRECTLY put on fat, my dad just lectured me about this."

I didn't even respond. Just silence and moved onto another subject.

It frustrates me that she's attempting to tell me that my weight loss method is wrong and not working. When, well, I've lost weight so far.

I feel like it's kind of a negative thing for her to do, and mind you she isn't very fit herself. I don't want it to bother me but... it kind of is.
    This is why I don't get into conversations with people about my eating habits. I've gotten comments from one person at work who seems to think she somehow vested in my health journey. Telling me to be careful I don't lose too much weight, encouraging me to drink wine when I've told her millions of times I don't drink, telling me I should have just a bite of the goodies on the counter.

Nope, not getting into any of those conversations.

When people in general ask me how I've trimmed, I tell them I quit eating so much. If I know them well, I tell them about MFP. In fact, my beau and my aunt both have been using the MFP tools. Beau has lost 20 pounds since October, when he started using the MFP tools.

By the way, your coworker doesn't know what she's talking about. :smile:
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    3dogs running. Do have any advise for a person who works with a loving Boss . That continiously brings delicious sweets to work.. Puts on a plate in front of you. And asks you to have some. I dont have that kind of will power. Sometimes i tell her i will save it for later and throw it in the trash when no one is looking . But i feel so bad. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah, yesterday I had a coworker that brought in chocolate & the V-day LIttle debbie snack cakes.. I had a pack of snack cakes and said "well, I guess I'm committed to doing spin tonight!" Of course there are 2 packs left today and they keep calling my name...
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Many people are a 'fanboys' in regards to diet and exercise. Non processed vs calorie deficiet vs paleo vs vegan. HIIT Cardio vs low intesity, heavy lifting vs compound lifting vs high reps. It's crazy how passionately defensive and offensive a person can get. All of them will work... Heck one could lose weight off an oreo cookie diet. Unfortuantely it can become like politics. In that reference, I keep to myself.
  • Crateria_
    Options
    Unfortuantely it can become like politics. In that reference, I keep to myself.
    ain't that the truth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people are pretty ignorant when it comes to nutrition and/or fitness so I just don't really talk much about it...my results speak themselves, I don't have to say a word.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker like that and I'd rather put my finger in an electric pencil sharpener than listen to her opinion on anything...hence the reason I don't share much about myself here at work.

:angry:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    In one ear, and out the other. Do what you're doing and she'll see who comes out on top. She's probably just hangry :flowerforyou:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I tell people I'm doing the CRIM method of weightloss

C alorie
    R eduction
    I ncreased
    M ovement

as soon as they hear "method" suddenly you know what you are doing/talking about because it's a "method"
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Yep, now there are three things never to talk about at work: politics, religion and dieting.

I'm with the posters that don't offer anything specific about the way they eat. Fortunately I'm not being asked because my size is changing so slowly.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I know how this is when I tell anybody what I am doing they always are watching me and then comment if I have a doughnut they don't know what I am doing or what has worked for me 40lbs less later but they still want to judge.
    You know what works for you keep at it and just smile and nod at everyone else.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    There are right ways to diet and wrong ways. The worst wrong way I know is to tell anyone their way is the wrong way, unless they specifically ask for your advice.
    Do what is working for you. If she's on the Clean Eating wagon, either she'll learn down the line or it'll work for her and she'll keep drinking the organic kool ade. ;)
  • Crateria_
    Options
    There are right ways to diet and wrong ways. The worst wrong way I know is to tell anyone their way is the wrong way, unless they specifically ask for your advice.
    Do what is working for you. If she's on the Clean Eating wagon, either she'll learn down the line or it'll work for her and she'll keep drinking the organic kool ade. ;)
    yeah that's what threw me off the most to be honest is I felt like I was being drilled because I didn't even ask for an opinion... then told I was doing it wrong essentially

So lame! :\
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't talk weight loss with people I actually know. I'll do my thing, you do yours - it'll all be good. Done.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight that is concrete evidence that it's working for you.

One thing I will say is to bear in mind the amount of refined sugar in your meals. As a rule of thumb I generally avoid anything where added sugar is an ingredient, or if I can't avoid added sugar, I ensure it isn't one of the first three ingredients. That obviously excludes 'good' sugars like honey and agarve. I mean in things like cereals and other packaged foods. Another thing to consider is how good the calories are that you're eating. I read somewhere on another forum that just because you have 200kcals left for the day, doesn't mean you should head straight for a 200kcal chocolate bar. 200kcal of fruit/veg/100% peanut butter is much better than 200kcal of chocolate/sweets.

Ignore what people say to you - as I said before, if it's working for you that's all that matters. GOOD LUCK!
    Haha oh yeah, definitely. I'd feel really bad about myself if I was like OH SWEET 300 CALORIES LEFT and spent it on a donut. (Even though trust me.. the thought has crossed my mind :P)

Thanks! :)

Actually, I do the 300 calories / donut all the time. Maybe not a donuts... candy bar, cup cake, whatever. If it fits, it goes into mah belleh!

Besides, your co-worker is probably jealous because her drink tastes like *kitten* and your cereal was delish.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. People have been losing weight by reducing calories for a long time. Its the traditional way and works. Many times people over complicate weight loss with other things like eating clean but if it is working for them, fair enough. Just stick to your deficit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This morning my co-worker attempted to debate with me about weight loss...

Best advice - as you've found out - just don't go there. :)