Anyone taking Phentermine 37.5?

Options

Replies

• RavenDienette
    Options
    I am. I am one of the few who doesn't get the buzz side effect however it is an awesome appetite suppressant for me. I lost 11lbs in a month with it and myfitnesspal, counting calories. ive been on it since January 6th. I am a pharmacy tech as well. and I noticed in a previous post about the PPA version.... it was the other drug that was mixed with Phentermine that caused all the issues. If you have an addictive personality I would advise not to take it. you also have to watch your caffeine and other stimulant intake. No energy drinks. No alcohol. I cut my pop down to one 16-24 oz bottle a day almost immediately without the withdraw from caffeine and im the one who used to walk around with a 44oz speedway cup 24/7. I am slowly increasing my exercise because I know once I stop the meds that I will want to eat and I want to be able to maintain. Exercising helps naturally build your metabolism up so once you are off the stimulants your body can adjust easier. unless youre like me and don't get the buzz. I was bummed lol I was hoping to clean my house in a day like ive heard some of the patients at work say they did. You also have to watch your states regulations on the medication. Ohio is really strict where Kentucky not as much. I make the almost 2 hour trip to Figure Weight Loss. Its a doctor monitored program and helps keep me in check. Hoping March 3 at my next appt that this month was as successful as last. :) My advice is to do the research and decide if its right for you, and if you decide to try it, monitor yourself and judge how you respond, everyone is different. www.figureweightloss.com
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm a pharmacist, and I think this drug is dangerous and addictive. I don't like dispensing it. There is inherent risk in prescribing an amphetamine like drug to an obese person, because they are already at a higher risk for cardiovascular events...the drug only makes the risk higher. The drug has addictive potential and can cause behavioral issues, mood changes, and even psychosis. In clinical trials, it did not cause that much more weight loss versus diet and exercise alone...especially when you consider the cost of the medication (usually not covered by insurance) and the additional risk you could be putting upon your body. In addition, these meds can only be used short term, so any benefit you get from it will likely go away, once you have to discontinue it.

I second this. I'd suggest Topamax instead.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i took it years ago, and found myself calling 911 because i thought i was having a heart attack. in the er, they came to the conclusion that the speed pill caused my heart rate to sky rocket... never again...
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    Fenfluramine-Phentermine ("Fen-phen")
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm a pharmacist, and I think this drug is dangerous and addictive. I don't like dispensing it. There is inherent risk in prescribing an amphetamine like drug to an obese person, because they are already at a higher risk for cardiovascular events...the drug only makes the risk higher. The drug has addictive potential and can cause behavioral issues, mood changes, and even psychosis. In clinical trials, it did not cause that much more weight loss versus diet and exercise alone...especially when you consider the cost of the medication (usually not covered by insurance) and the additional risk you could be putting upon your body. In addition, these meds can only be used short term, so any benefit you get from it will likely go away, once you have to discontinue it.

Topiramate alone is off-label, it's combo with Phentermine in QSYMIA
    Please go obtain a license before suggesting medications...yes, the dose is drastically different
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    use it as a tool to help me reduce portions and eat properly and record my food intake.

How does the pill teach you to reduce portions and eat properly?? :huh:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    So you have high blood pressure and your doctor is prescribing Phentermine, a drug similar to amphetamine?? Ok.
  • swardrl
    Options
    I took it about 2 years ago. I lost 20 pounds in about 6 weeks, but I had to stop taking it because it seriously affected my mood. My husband and I began to refer to me severe mood swings as "phen range". It was terrible and just not for me.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Phentermine 37.5 about five years ago for fatigue and weight loss. I realize that everyone is different but my personal experience with it was not pleasant to say the least. At first I experienced bursts of energy( with dry mouth and a racing heart), followed by a false sense of euphoria. After a few hours I would experience extreme lows to the point of feeling suicidal. I could not sleep at night, I was moody, irritable, and not very pleasant to be around. Sure I lost 70 lbs very quickly, because I had absolutely ZERO appetite and would have to force down a string cheese and a yogurt at most. Eventually my blood pressure went sky high and I had to stop taking the pills because of that and the chest pains I started to experience.

Once I started eating regularly again I gained back those 70 lbs plus another 30. OP, there is no quick fix to successful long term weight loss. When I first started MFP almost two years ago I had over 200 lbs to lose, and I understand how intimidating having to lose a large amount of weight could be..I've been there..and I'm not done yet.

My advice to you would be to invest in a food scale and measuring cups, pay attention to portion sizes, move more, eat within your calorie goal and I promise your efforts will not be in vain and your weight will eventually start to come off. It won't be overnight, but remember it took you a long time to get to where you are as well. Patience and determination will go a long way.

If you choose to continue taking the pills please make sure you are closely monitored by your physician who will check your blood pressure frequently.

Good luck!
  • beckmoir
    beckmoir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i was taking it for about a month. i stopped and threw the rest of the pills away because they were making me sick. they gave me brutal headaches, i was constantly nauseous, and i just didn't feel right.. like mentally. strange side affects, but i can't imagine that any pills like that would be good for you. luckily for me i was just lazy, and was hoping i could take pills instead of exercising lol. i would just say don't become dependent on them. if they help, then great, but maybe just use them as a little kickstarter, then turn to healthy eating and exercise!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Topiramate alone is off-label, it's combo with Phentermine in QSYMIA
    Please go obtain a license before suggesting medications...yes, the dose is drastically different

I know it's off-label. But Topamax is still frequently used as an appetite suppressant and is HIGHLY successful in weight loss. I was never talking about QSYMIA.

I don't need a license to suggest medication. I've completed enough schooling and have taken more than enough medications (including Topamax for migraines) to know what I am talking about.
  • eringraczyk
    eringraczyk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine about 8 years ago. I was on it for 6 months, off for 3 months, on for 3 months. In that time frame, I dropped 90 pounds. (Granted, when I was at my heaviest, I was pregnant, so 25 of those pounds were giving birth and losing the fluid. I didn't start taking the med until I was done breastfeeding and my daughter was about 9 months old, so don't freak out. But I digress.) I have gained some weight back, but I know exactly why--I'm an emotional eater and have had quite a bit of turbulence in my life since that time--so it's not like I lost a bunch and then gained it all back and then some. The phentermine helped me figure out portion sizes and how much my body really needed FAST. Translation: As soon as I was 1 bite over what I needed, I was instantly nauseous and didn't want any more. It was amazing to find out how much I truly was overeating. I wasn't on MFP then or tracking what I ate, but it definitely was less, and I was moving A LOT more. I had more energy both because of the med and the increased exercise. Oddly enough, it even regulated out my sleep cycle, which hadn't been normal since I graduated from college. As other posters have said, use it as a tool to figure out how much you need to eat and don't take it long term. I had tried everything under the sun prior to the phentermine. After I bought and used a Bowflex 5-6 times a week for 6 months plus was walking about 4 times a week without dropping so much as an ounce or an inch, my doctor and I agreed on trying the phentermine. It worked for me, but obviously you'll have to draw your own conclusions from your experience with it. I hope it has as positive of an influence on your live as it did on mine. Good luck!
  • mlittle71
    mlittle71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow. The people on this website simply amaze me. I usually keep to myself and never post but this thread just annoys me. The OP said "Would love to have some friends that are also taking the Phentermine." I didnt see anything in her post about asking for anyone's opinion no matter how "helpful" you think you were.

I started taking Phentermine on Feb 4th and so far its been perfect. No terrible effects at all. I've been able to gain control of my previous out of control behaviors. I expect to take it for about 2 more months and then come off of it. By that time, I'll have picked up some better eating and exercise habits. And no, I don't care about your experiences and no it's not your business if I "gain it all back".
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Courtkizer - not to make this thread go sideways, but I was on the keto group yesterday and was flabbergasted to read there was calorie counting involved. I didn't think that was needed on paleo or low carb diets. You can reply to me directly if you like.

Thanks.
  • tpligon
    tpligon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To mlittle71. Sorry that post was directed at trogalicious for his condescending and discouraging comment to the woman that started this post. People like him believe they are "experts" on weight loss and know it all because they have lost some weight and they rub people's noses in it. He get's ticked because they are not doing it his way, the right way. He may know how to lose it but knows nothing about keeping it off long term and changing his lifestyle permanently. If this works long term for you and helps you achieve a healthier lifestyle that you can sustain I'm very happy for you. I just don't like discouraging people speak down to others and I speak up for people. These people are jealous or just plain old stupid and there is only one cure for that. Anyway, I won't let it stand when a "man" ,and I use that term very loosely, speaks to a woman like that.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    To mlittle71. Sorry that post was directed at trogalicious for his condescending and discouraging comment to the woman that started this post. People like him believe they are "experts" on weight loss and know it all because they have lost some weight and they rub people's noses in it. He get's ticked because they are not doing it his way, the right way. He may know how to lose it but knows nothing about keeping it off long term and changing his lifestyle permanently. If this works long term for you and helps you achieve a healthier lifestyle that you can sustain I'm very happy for you. I just don't like discouraging people speak down to others and I speak up for people. These people are jealous or just plain old stupid and there is only one cure for that. Anyway, I won't let it stand when a "man" ,and I use that term very loosely, speaks to a woman like that.
    See the part where the OP has high blood pressure already and her Dr is giving her something that makes it go higher?

IXUO5zJ.gif

bad news bears. Not sure what your problem with me is, but I've been here. Lost my weight, maintaining, and I help wherever I can in the forums. Sorry if someone peed in your coffee this morning.

also, to clarify... I've spread myself across the forums posting tips and helping as much as I can. MY way is this:
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I know, I hate that I give people advice that tells them to find their own way. It's a rough world we live in out here on the internet. Especially trying to give people tips that lead them to a lasting and healthy lifestyle.

Why didn't I give that advice the first time? Cause the OP was asking who took pills. I don't. Didn't have to. That's why my initial response was that patented head-shaking-no.gif.

...but hey, you're the dark knight that MFP needs, right?
  • tpligon
    tpligon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Read my other posts Trogalicious. You seem like your heart is in the right place. Have a good day, keep up the good work with your weight loss.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Read my other posts Trogalicious. You seem like your heart is in the right place. Have a good day, keep up the good work with your weight loss.
    someone's profile is all private. Besides, why? If all you're doing is griping on the forum...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Wow. The people on this website simply amaze me. I usually keep to myself and never post but this thread just annoys me. The OP said "Would love to have some friends that are also taking the Phentermine." I didnt see anything in her post about asking for anyone's opinion no matter how "helpful" you think you were.

I started taking Phentermine on Feb 4th and so far its been perfect. No terrible effects at all. I've been able to gain control of my previous out of control behaviors. I expect to take it for about 2 more months and then come off of it. By that time, I'll have picked up some better eating and exercise habits. And no, I don't care about your experiences and no it's not your business if I "gain it all back".

so it's been perfect for you for *does difficults maths*...

15 days.

awesome.

i'm sure it will remain perfect forever. :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Um, I'll come at this from another angle:

What thyroid problem do you have that you'd be able to off your meds? Thyroid problems are for life. They get "fixed" when they're being treated with medication. And being heavy doesn't cause a thyroid problem, so losing weight wouldn't require you to go off of meds, just be able to reduce the medication dosage you can take (since there'd be less of you to dose).