Anyone taking Phentermine 37.5?

Options

Replies

• Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Question time. A poll for ALL the people in this thread saying "i took it and when i stopped i gained all the weight back plus some" ... please tell me what you did after stopping the pills. Did you work out? Did you run? Did you still track/control calories? Did the weight all come back even while doing all these things? Are you saying its inevitable that the weight will come back?

Please explain your habits AFTER stopping to take the pills. thanks.

Well for one it started off slowly ..I ate more because I was hungry because I hadn't learned portion controll .I didn't have to since I wasn't hungry .

#2 I exercised less because I didn't have the energy that the pills gave me

#3 I didn't eat healthy foods because I didn't learn that while I was using the pills which goes back to #1 because I wasn't really hungry

#4 I felt like I was starving I just could not stop eating so I didn't, I got depressed and started eating more and more and exercising less and less ...

That's just my story though:blushing:

THANK YOU for your honest response and experience. This is helpful.
  • milyba
    milyba Posts: 49
    Options
    I did list weight got really really sick...gained all plus more back.
  • didislim
    Options
    I asked for an appetite suppressant from my doctor some time back because I have a voracious appetite. I also have more than 120 lbs. to lose, not 15, not 25, not 40 lbs. like many of those who are naysaying you right now.

I had a heart attack at 39 at 284 lbs. in weight. After losing 40 lbs., I injured my achilles tendon, quit exercising and slipped into a depression, leading to more and more compulsive eating.

Did a liquid diet.. Lost it and gained it back.

Got a 3-month prescription for phentermine, took it for a month and did not feel less hungry. Felt the jitters, a lot, in my throat and elevated heart rate. Having heart issues, this was not good for me, so I never refilled it.

Have been changing my style of living on a daily basis. Logging food so that there is a record and a history. Logging exercise.

I have more than 100 lbs. left to lose. I have lost 20 or so in three months without any aids. I know this is slower than in the past, but it fills more permanent.

If the phentermine helps you, that is great. If it has noticeable side effects, particularly heart palpitations, racing pulse, etc., you will need to talk about this with your doctor. You already admit to lots of health problems because of your weight. I, too, have many of those, so I have to pay special attention to possible side effects.

One thing that has helped with my appetite is drinking water and watching carbohydrates. I try to limit my carbs to those from fruit and vegetables as opposed to highly refined carbs like breads and pastas and refined grains. It seems when I eat those refined carbs that they do less to address my hunger issues than when I eat healthy fats and proteins.

Find what works and implement it.

Hi there. I agree with this post. The pill works differently from person to person. When I took this pill I was even 40 pounds lighter and trying to lose those last ten pounds. I am 50 pounds heavier now but not due to the pill due to doing the HCg diet over and over. But thats another topic.
    The phentermine did not help me lose much weight. I lost a measly 2 poiunds in the first week and nothing the next 2 weeks. Plus I was always jittery, couldn't sleep at night, heart racing, feeling just generally 'unwell". Needless to say I stopped the torture after the 3rd week. I was 28 years old then. Yeah The first week it DID curb my appetite, I exercised like a beast I gess thats why I dropped the 2 pounds. But the next week, I was always feeling jittery and lightheaded. And of course I gaind the 2 pounds back once I stopped it. I found that I continued to gain weight at an alarming rate despite working out so I went back to hcg, lost weight but suffered with binge eating. and 2 years later I am at 210 pounds and trying to do things the "right way." whatever that means.
    So its up to you, You may decide to experiment. It may work out well for you. But I find that nothing really works in the long term. Only life changes. No miracle pill, shot, fad diet nothing except diet and excerise. No matter how slow it is. I am learning my lesson now after being several sizes from 6-14.
    I do hope it works for you, keep us posted.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Nope I have never used anything but hard work and good eating! Good luck to you!
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just want to read this thread later........Is there any way to save a thread besides posting on it?
  • Fat422long
    Options
    My primary doctor prescribed phen for me as well. I choose to not go to the walk in clinics because my doctor did labs and everything before she allowed me to have it. I feel she will take better care of me. She is not a "pill prescribing" maniac like a lot of doctors. She is into behavior change first. With the risk of diabetes, kidney failure and high blood pressure in my family she wants me to learn portion control and to start a workout routine. At first she prescribed me 37.5 in the morning only. I felt like a raging maniac and my chest hurt. So she told me to cut it in half so I take the 1st half at 10am and the other half at 3pm. She advised me a natural sleep aid like Melatonin is fine. So I take 10mg of Melatonin at 8 and I'm passed out till 5am and back at it the next day. She also cut my carbs/sugar intake back (still struggling with that) but for the most part I notice I'm on with little carbs and sugar as long as I take the pill. The moment I skip a dose I run to carbs/sugar. So I learned I cant be skipping doses. She plans to slowly increase my dosage and the taper it off. I have a year max on the pill to lose 60 pounds. I did lose 30 on my own with Weight Watchers before I asked for Phen. Feel free to add me!
  • cincymomof2
    cincymomof2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started taking this back in July 2013. I took it for 3 months, losing 36 pounds total. I stopped taking them due to financial reasons for a while. I didn't completely stop dieting, but wasn't really trying as hard as I had been. I started back on my diet and taking the pills just this week. After losing the 36 pounds on the pills the first time, then stopping and going 5 months without a strict diet through Thanksgiving and Christmas, I only gained back 7 pounds of the 36 lost. I have no bad side effects, except it is hard to sleep during the first week of taking them, but then my body adjusts and I have no other issues. I really feel that the pills will boost you to start losing the weight while you are learning your new lifestyle changes. The boost will get you motivated while losing the first pounds off. If you continue your lifestyle change and eat and exercise the way you should after stopping the pills, you will be fine. Good luck to you!
  • CBC435
    CBC435 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So, I have a wonderful doctor and she discovered that low progesterone can be a culprit for young women and cause weight gain. Although, I don't want to reveal too much as to why I dropped but she has prescribed bioidentical progesterone and phentermine. I just started the prog. about a month ago and have lost 12 pounds and still taking the phentermine for 1 more month. Not sure if it's the prog. helping me drop the weight or the phentermine or both. I am only 26 and turning 27 in a few weeks. I would love feedback with those who are on compounded progesterone/phentermine and around my age. I have now lost 22 pounds since January 2, 2014!
  • dconn3114
    dconn3114 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! Hope all goes well for you. Good luck!
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Just started phen on Sat (30mg) for the second time. About three years ago i took it for about 3months, lost about 35ish pounds and then went off. Continued with counting calories and exercising like a maniac. In 10months total I had lost 100lbs. In about 15months I had lost 120lbs. Was just 13lbs from my initial goal weight!

Then it got crappy. Broke up with a BF, started dating a lazy BF and then messed up my achilles. That killed my gym routine right there. Slowly started to gain weight back. Spent all last summer in physical therapy, just walking hurts on most days.

So I have gained back about a total of 60lbs over the last year and a half or so. Going to try and use phen to jump start me again. Hopefully the weight will come off like in the beginning, which will make it easier for me to try and go back to the gym, or at least start walking again.

In the beginning I could only get on the treadmill for 15mins at a time cause i thought i would die...eventually i was spending 2hrs in the gym 6 days a week. (thus messing up my achilles)

I did feel kinda high on Sat, talking fast and extreme dry mouth. Drank tons of water and couldnt sleep at all .Today is better, ate about 1500 cals total, which is a defecit in itself for me. Scale showed down like 5lbs today...lol

I think I just weighed myself at diff times on Sat and Sun so that is a crazy number. Will try to be more consistent.

I get my phen from my doc and it is prescription. he will not prescribe the 37.5 one either. Just 30mg, He gave me a 6wk script with one refill, so 12 wks total and that is it. He doesnt like to give it for more than 3months.

I cant wait to be back to where i was. Or close to it!

People all have their own opinions about phen...i do what is best for me. I know how to work hard and count calories..i did it...im hoping that this will boost me in the right direction. :)
  • missgamer84
    missgamer84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually prescribed it to me a few years ago for the lack of energy I have due to Lupus. I never really focused on it as a weight pill but I only ever took a half a pill a couple times a week. I am severely headache sensitive and unless you are drinking lots of water with this medication, it will cause them due to dehydration. It runs your body a little hotter then normal I read, so be careful.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    In the spirit of sharing....

Tried the phentermine twice.The first time I went with my BFF to a weight loss clinic.I guess she received some sort of discount when she referred me.At the time I was working 16 hour days trying to buy a fancy car.The pill gave me ENERGY! When I ate, the food tasted different..in a bad way...chocolate was just blah...they did give me a diet sheat and as I recall it was mostly lean proteins,veggies,low sugar fruits,and other low carb things.I did not stick to that. I ate whatever,but my brain was just not that interested in food.I took it for 2 weeks,then lost the bottle...I lost 15lbs and it stayed off for a long time until I started dating and drinking Margarita's the size of my head.

2nd time I got it from my Dr. I took it for 1 month. And lost 22lbs..had cotton mouth and super energy.My food did not taste bad,but I got full really quick...I craved lots of water foods.I did gain that weight back, not because of the pills,but because I started eating crappy again....that weight stayed off for about 8 months....I doubt that I would take them again,but if I did I would just eat healthy during and have a solid plan for after.I would also get them from my Dr. Who knows my medical history and not a fat clinic.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What happens when you stop taking this drug and your appetite returns? Genuinely curious about this. IMO, you can "jump start" your weight loss all you want, but you need some sort of strategy for how to maintain that momentum without relying on drugs. If you learn to make healthier choices your body size will take care of itself. Changing your body size won't magically teach you how to make healthier choices. It seems you have things back to front in that respect.
  • NurseDibiase
    Options
    I started taking Adipex Jan 14 I was 223lbs now I'm 195 it has helped me train myself to eat only veggies fruit and boneless skinless chicken and it to the point now that eating healthy is normal and even when dining out I'll have grilled chicken and veggies and I have low carb yogurt for breakfast.....but the Adipex helped with cravings which allowed me to do this so I'm glad I'm taking it!!!!
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Get off the pills, there is no quick fix to controlling appetites, its just making the decision to not eat everytime you want something. You will gain your weight back after you get off them and you will not have learned how to do it on your own which means you will never have long lasting weight loss! Dont look for a kick start if you really want to lose weight and keep it off for good. IT WONT WORK FOR GOOD!
  • CBC435
    Options
    Get off the pills, there is no quick fix to controlling appetites, its just making the decision to not eat everytime you want something. You will gain your weight back after you get off them and you will not have learned how to do it on your own which means you will never have long lasting weight loss! Dont look for a kick start if you really want to lose weight and keep it off for good. IT WONT WORK FOR GOOD!

It really did curb my appetite and food cravings. I watched my friend take it 2 years ago and she lost 50 pounds on it and has not gained the weight back. She is still consistent with her eating habits and working out. It is a jump start for people, as myself and gives some energy. I don't think it's fair to knock those who have tried and evidently, those who commented above me stated they gained some weight back due to lack of exercise and personal issues. It is safe to say it does work and it helps with a doctor monitoring the progress. I've heard more good than bad with phentermine and I applaud those who have stuck it through and made the continuing changes after their RX ended!
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

It really did curb my appetite and food cravings. I watched my friend take it 2 years ago and she lost 50 pounds on it and has not gained the weight back. She is still consistent with her eating habits and working out. It is a jump start for people, as myself and gives some energy. I don't think it's fair to knock those who have tried and evidently, those who commented above me stated they gained some weight back due to lack of exercise and personal issues. It is safe to say it does work and it helps with a doctor monitoring the progress. I've heard more good than bad with phentermine and I applaud those who have stuck it through and made the continuing changes after their RX ended!

Heres the thing. You should always learn how to curve your own appetite. Its great that it worked out good for you, however as you can see from alot of the previous posts it doesn NOT always work that way. I learned after years of dropping weight and putting it back on it was bc I always went with ways that were not substainable. You cant live on those pills forever, but you can teach yourself how to live like this as your lifestyle. I am 49 pounds down and have kept it off now for 3 years. I did it very slow and taught myself control. It takes time and its hard however it can be done. You shouldnt look at a jump start weight loss as a good thing. Losing weight and maintaning is a life long thing. there is no finish line and you will need to live this life style for the rest of your life if you want to keep it. You should not race to it and you should know there is no finish line to get to.
  • CBC435
    Options

Heres the thing. You should always learn how to curve your own appetite. Its great that it worked out good for you, however as you can see from alot of the previous posts it doesn NOT always work that way. I learned after years of dropping weight and putting it back on it was bc I always went with ways that were not substainable. You cant live on those pills forever, but you can teach yourself how to live like this as your lifestyle. I am 49 pounds down and have kept it off now for 3 years. I did it very slow and taught myself control. It takes time and its hard however it can be done. You shouldnt look at a jump start weight loss as a good thing. Losing weight and maintaning is a life long thing. there is no finish line and you will need to live this life style for the rest of your life if you want to keep it. You should not race to it and you should know there is no finish line to get to.

Totally agree with what you're saying. However, in my situation, I have been trying to lose weight for 2 1/2 years and it was not working in my favor. I workout 6 times a week + a healthy diet + I am a fitness instructor and still managed to gain 20 pounds. The doctor needed to boost my metabolism and my current prescription ends this month and then I am on my own again + some additional meds that I have my health condition that is aided to the difficulty of losing weight. The benefit with phen is that it does teach you how to say no to mindless eating and how to retract from the cravings. The amount of weight loss with phen varies and I know for some, it isn't a matter of losing in a short period of time but it's a kick start to the metabolism and to hopefully, create those good habits that you were talking about. Weight, eating, exercising will always be in one's life and the decisions they make but I think for some not all, seeing the weight loss helps change the mind frame to "Okay I can do this and see the results. I'm going to keep going with the habits I've learned." OR "Oh wow look at all the weight I lost! Now screw it I'm going back to my old ways". It's a matter of how the person takes it. It is not a quick fix to controlling appetite but as I said, it teaches a person that just because you're not hungry doesn't mean you have to eat. Many people, including myself, struggle with eating period after starting phen and have to remind myself to eat! It's always easier said than done and many doctors prescribe it for many different reasons based on the person's weight, BMI and overall health. And nobody lives on these pills because they are only prescribed on a need to need basis and typically only for 3 months. Again, I don't think people get on it to be on it forever and many women and men have medical issues that need to "jump" their metabolism. It's not a means of desperation or anything. I think a lot of people disregard the fact that there are other issues like thyroid, hormones, and so forth that can block weight loss. It's not always easy for people to lose it with just eating right and working out. You're talking to a pro here who has changed the diet around and worked out like a maniac to no avail.
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I don't think you're being rational. Have you read the posts from people who are currently on it and/or who have used it in the past? I think the members on here who are currently on the medication have clearly stated how THIS IS a lifestyle change. I don't think anyone on here taking the medication is shoving pizza and icecream into their mouths hoping for results. This is absolutely a lifestyle change, but the medication also gives a great deal of energy and helps curb your appetite. Why is that such an issue to you?

Saying "IT WONT WORK FOR GOOD" is very negative and ignorant. The reason why all these people have gained it all back is very simple - They started eating poorly again! THEY EVEN SAID THAT. That's with anyone, regardless of how they lost the weight in the first place. If you start eating like crap and you stop exercising, you gain weight. Period. Are you a doctor? Do you have knowledge of the product? Or are you just pulling random things from the internet? Well, I have an actual doctor who I check in with.

Of course, some people have had terrible side effects. This is normal with any medication. Haven't you seen all the commericals for medications? "this will relieve your migranes, but side effects may include nausea, vomitting, fatigue, and possibly death." I mean, come on. However, everyone is different. I have very minimal side effects that do not bother me.

You know what I think is worse than the medication? Weight management plans that give you food. "Here, eat this and you will lose weight". I did Jenny Craig. Lost 35lbs in 3 months. I felt great. However, it got expensive and I was so bored with the food. Once I stopped, I went back to my normal eating habits and gained it all back and then some. I had not learned a thing!

What have I learned since being on this medication? I've been much more aware of portions, I've managed to make much better choices, I try to eat as clean as possible, and I work out on the regular.

On another note, this post is clearly for people who are on the medication or have used it in the past so we can all discuss our experiences. Not for a bunch of people on their high horses trying to put everyone else down because of how they lost the weight. We should be happy for everyone on here for losing weight. Not judging for HOW they're doing it.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OP, "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". A pill will never do what an informed mind, balanced diet, and active lifestyle will do for you. Sure you may lose your weight and those cravings may go away, but after you stop they will return. And last time I checked most of the people on here that are reporting taking it did not have crazy weight loss ie: 30 pounds in 5 months/1-2 pounds a week.....I did both of these with diet and exercise alone.

Just gotta ask yourself if the reward is worth the risk, I guess?