Any Empaths out there? Hello? This thing on?

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Empathy is a human trait that probably goes back possibly more than 2 million years. Even bonobos have it to some extent (more than common chimps but less than humans). Non-verbal communication of emotion (among other things) pre-dates spoken language.

some humans are better at this than others............ re the bit in that article about detecting "true" feelings underneath the facade, that's been shown to be an ability to read other people's micro-expressions (yes like on "Lie to Me" - that series is based on this particular branch of science). It's nothing supernatural, or even anything that unusual. And the fact that some are better at this than others, is because there's variation in any population. But compared to most animals, humans are geniuses at empathy, it's a trait we evolved, presumably because co-operation and helping sick and injured people in the group increased the group's chance of survival, and individuals who were more empathetic were more likely to do those things, and able to work together more effectively due to understanding each other at a deeper level. Anyway, my take is that the OP is better than average at reading micro-expressions and other non-verbal cues in other people, or maybe some neurological variation that leads to a great degree of empathy than average. If they can detect this on brain scans between bonobos and common chimps then it's likely something that shows some degree of variation within species as well.

Finally someone who said something sensible.

I think the part about "energetic vibrations" in the link is silly as we know now that emotional and cognitive empathy is caused by mirror neurons firing in our brains. But I absolutely think some people are better at picking up cues and some brains are better at accessing similar memories and bringing those feelings to surface.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    I was gonna try to read this thread with my third eye, but then it got a lash in it, and I started messing with it trying to get it out, but I couldn't, and then that just pissed me off so I stormed off, slamming the doors to all my chakras, and now my cosmic consciousness is whiny and pissy and just wants a jelly doughnut. *looks down and whispers* jelly doughnut
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Empathy is a human trait that probably goes back possibly more than 2 million years. Even bonobos have it to some extent (more than common chimps but less than humans). Non-verbal communication of emotion (among other things) pre-dates spoken language.

some humans are better at this than others............ re the bit in that article about detecting "true" feelings underneath the facade, that's been shown to be an ability to read other people's micro-expressions (yes like on "Lie to Me" - that series is based on this particular branch of science). It's nothing supernatural, or even anything that unusual. And the fact that some are better at this than others, is because there's variation in any population. But compared to most animals, humans are geniuses at empathy, it's a trait we evolved, presumably because co-operation and helping sick and injured people in the group increased the group's chance of survival, and individuals who were more empathetic were more likely to do those things, and able to work together more effectively due to understanding each other at a deeper level. Anyway, my take is that the OP is better than average at reading micro-expressions and other non-verbal cues in other people, or maybe some neurological variation that leads to a great degree of empathy than average. If they can detect this on brain scans between bonobos and common chimps then it's likely something that shows some degree of variation within species as well.

Finally someone who said something sensible.

I think the part about "energetic vibrations" in the link is silly as we know now that emotional and cognitive empathy is caused by mirror neurons firing in our brains. But I absolutely think some people are better at picking up cues and some brains are better at accessing similar memories and bringing those feelings to surface.

yeah, that's what I'm trying to get at... empathy is real, can be explained scientifically, and some people are better at it than others.

A lot of superstition is an incorrect explanation for an observed phenomenon. Like how some people used to think thunder and lightning was Thor throwing his hammer around. The fact that Thor and his hammer don't exist doesn't mean thunder and lightning are not real phenomena.
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Oh, I didn't leave nor did I sit at the back of the bus, girlfriend. I just don't have the appetite to watch a nice person get thrown to slaughter every time an innocent question or comment is posted, usually by pathetic people with no self esteem at all. If a person actually has real self esteem they won't torment, bully, or tease but, rather help and uplift others. There's not a whole lot of that going on in these forums. It is pathetic. Enjoy private messages, enjoy losing weight and enjoy making new friends but anything you post just feeds the trolls.
  • *looks down and whispers* jelly doughnut

LMFAO!!! Now THAT was funny! :-)))
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I was gonna try to read this thread with my third eye, but then it got a lash in it, and I started messing with it trying to get it out, but I couldn't, and then that just pissed me off so I stormed off, slamming the doors to all my chakras, and now my cosmic consciousness is whiny and pissy and just wants a jelly doughnut. *looks down and whispers* jelly doughnut

As non-sequiturs go, that's a hoot!
  • Oh, I didn't leave nor did I sit at the back of the bus, girlfriend. I just don't have the appetite to watch a nice person get thrown to slaughter every time an innocent question or comment is posted, usually by pathetic people with no self esteem at all. If a person actually has real self esteem they won't torment, bully, or tease but, rather help and uplift others. There's not a whole lot of that going on in these forums. It is pathetic. Enjoy private messages, enjoy losing weight and enjoy making new friends but anything you post just feeds the trolls.

THIS!!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.

Well with that thinking Rosa Parks woulda parked her tush in the back! I cant let others take away from my experiences.. Im actually meeting a few great people in private messages.. and THAT was my goal! :-)) Trust me, Im 27, the only person in my family thats not white, and empath.. i can handle teasing and a little bullying! <3

I think...I think this actually offended me a little bit.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    How does it work over the inter webs?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.

i don't come into the forums except to tell people i don't come into the forums.
  • Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.

Well with that thinking Rosa Parks woulda parked her tush in the back! I cant let others take away from my experiences.. Im actually meeting a few great people in private messages.. and THAT was my goal! :-)) Trust me, Im 27, the only person in my family thats not white, and empath.. i can handle teasing and a little bullying! <3

I think...I think this actually offended me a little bit.

Im sorry? Im half black.. so i wouldnt think id say something offensive about black people.. but again sorry if i did??
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Oh, I didn't leave nor did I sit at the back of the bus, girlfriend. I just don't have the appetite to watch a nice person get thrown to slaughter every time an innocent question or comment is posted, usually by pathetic people with no self esteem at all. If a person actually has real self esteem they won't torment, bully, or tease but, rather help and uplift others. There's not a whole lot of that going on in these forums. It is pathetic. Enjoy private messages, enjoy losing weight and enjoy making new friends but anything you post just feeds the trolls.

THIS!!!!
    So since you're both calling people pathetic, the above applies to both of you, right?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I am an empath but this is not the place to post about this. The derp energy is overwhelming from some of the respondents.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member

10/10 would flounce
    princewalking.gif
  • Oh, I didn't leave nor did I sit at the back of the bus, girlfriend. I just don't have the appetite to watch a nice person get thrown to slaughter every time an innocent question or comment is posted, usually by pathetic people with no self esteem at all. If a person actually has real self esteem they won't torment, bully, or tease but, rather help and uplift others. There's not a whole lot of that going on in these forums. It is pathetic. Enjoy private messages, enjoy losing weight and enjoy making new friends but anything you post just feeds the trolls.

THIS!!!!
    So since you're both calling people pathetic, the above applies to both of you, right?

Im didnt call anyone pathetic.. I said "this" Because I like how she doesnt care what others think of her.. But read into it what you like ;-)
  • Kyttiara
    Kyttiara Posts: 28 Member
    My EXACT thoughts. YOU MUST BE PSYCHIC

NOT THIS AGAIN

tumblr_m6aggbBXLq1rpxoj2o1_500.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

So one of the traits of high self esteem is running around labeling other people as pathetic losers? Got it, thanks
  • What the hell is this topic about anymore??
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    ForestFireLikeWhereThisThreadIsGoin.jpg
    ^^^we have a winner ^^^

But you knew that already.

So one of the traits of high self esteem is running around labeling other people as pathetic losers? Got it, thanks

Yeah it goes side by side with teasing someone for no good reason other than a laugh.. :-)