Any Empaths out there? Hello? This thing on?

Options

Replies

• KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.

Well with that thinking Rosa Parks woulda parked her tush in the back! I cant let others take away from my experiences.. Im actually meeting a few great people in private messages.. and THAT was my goal! :-)) Trust me, Im 27, the only person in my family thats not white, and empath.. i can handle teasing and a little bullying! <3

I think...I think this actually offended me a little bit.

Do you mean that you somehow found the comparison of a woman, who risked her life by making a statement about segregation and oppression of an entire race of people during a time of great violence and turmoil, with taking a bit of ribbing on an internet forum when posting a thread about being an empath somehow offensive?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am an empath but this is not the place to post about this. The derp energy is overwhelming from some of the respondents.

Everything.

Everything about this is...

Everything.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    what the heck happened in here?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Firestarter-Drew-Barrymore.jpg
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Oh god I knew this thread would deliver

Posting about being an empath on MFP... yes that makes you JUST LIKE Rosa Parks

/dies laughing
  • Str0ng_Heart
    Options
    Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.

Well with that thinking Rosa Parks woulda parked her tush in the back! I cant let others take away from my experiences.. Im actually meeting a few great people in private messages.. and THAT was my goal! :-)) Trust me, Im 27, the only person in my family thats not white, and empath.. i can handle teasing and a little bullying! <3

I think...I think this actually offended me a little bit.

Do you mean that you somehow found the comparison of a woman, who risked her life by making a statement about segregation and oppression of an entire race of people during a time of great violence and turmoil, with taking a bit of ribbing on an internet forum when posting a thread about being an empath somehow offensive?

My entire point with that statement, since youre in it now.. was no matter how big or small the issue you shouldnt let anyone or anything stop you or make you feel less than what you are.. Wow..
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't leave nor did I sit at the back of the bus, girlfriend. I just don't have the appetite to watch a nice person get thrown to slaughter every time an innocent question or comment is posted, usually by pathetic people with no self esteem at all. If a person actually has real self esteem they won't torment, bully, or tease but, rather help and uplift others. There's not a whole lot of that going on in these forums. It is pathetic. Enjoy private messages, enjoy losing weight and enjoy making new friends but anything you post just feeds the trolls.

So one of the traits of high self esteem is running around labeling other people as pathetic losers? Got it, thanks

Yeah it goes side by side with teasing someone for no good reason other than a laugh.. :-)

Teasing someone for a laugh IS the good reason. What other reason could possibly exist?
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    82459-will-ferrell-NO-gif-Elf-URx3.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    For the record, I don't find the Rosa Parks thing to be offensive in the least.

/.02
  • Str0ng_Heart
    Options
    Oh, I didn't leave nor did I sit at the back of the bus, girlfriend. I just don't have the appetite to watch a nice person get thrown to slaughter every time an innocent question or comment is posted, usually by pathetic people with no self esteem at all. If a person actually has real self esteem they won't torment, bully, or tease but, rather help and uplift others. There's not a whole lot of that going on in these forums. It is pathetic. Enjoy private messages, enjoy losing weight and enjoy making new friends but anything you post just feeds the trolls.

So one of the traits of high self esteem is running around labeling other people as pathetic losers? Got it, thanks

Yeah it goes side by side with teasing someone for no good reason other than a laugh.. :-)

Teasing someone for a laugh IS the good reason. What other reason could possibly exist?

I havent a clue, guess thats not my kind of humor.. *shrugs*
  • Str0ng_Heart
    Options

/.02

Me either, but i really dont like thinking that i did offend someone.. This whole post started by me just trying to find some common ground with other people getting in shape.. I didnt think itd be like this..
  • deksgrl
    Options

/.02

Me either, but i really dont like thinking that i did offend someone.. This whole post started by me just trying to find some common ground with other people getting in shape.. I didnt think itd be like this..

I think you are a really good sport about all of this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    perhaps this would go over a little better...and or taken more seriously if you started a group rather than doing this in gen pop...on that note....

large.jpg
  • Str0ng_Heart
    Options

/.02

Yeah..
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

/.02

Me, too.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    And most intro threads don't get this many replies, so to look on the bright side, you probably met more people this way than most do. :flowerforyou:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I was gonna try to read this thread with my third eye, but then it got a lash in it, and I started messing with it trying to get it out, but I couldn't, and then that just pissed me off so I stormed off, slamming the doors to all my chakras, and now my cosmic consciousness is whiny and pissy and just wants a jelly doughnut. *looks down and whispers* jelly doughnut

tumblr_inline_mhzjlp4bpa1qz4rgp.gif
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Empathy is a human trait that probably goes back possibly more than 2 million years. Even bonobos have it to some extent (more than common chimps but less than humans). Non-verbal communication of emotion (among other things) pre-dates spoken language.

some humans are better at this than others............ re the bit in that article about detecting "true" feelings underneath the facade, that's been shown to be an ability to read other people's micro-expressions (yes like on "Lie to Me" - that series is based on this particular branch of science). It's nothing supernatural, or even anything that unusual. And the fact that some are better at this than others, is because there's variation in any population. But compared to most animals, humans are geniuses at empathy, it's a trait we evolved, presumably because co-operation and helping sick and injured people in the group increased the group's chance of survival, and individuals who were more empathetic were more likely to do those things, and able to work together more effectively due to understanding each other at a deeper level. Anyway, my take is that the OP is better than average at reading micro-expressions and other non-verbal cues in other people, or maybe some neurological variation that leads to a great degree of empathy than average. If they can detect this on brain scans between bonobos and common chimps then it's likely something that shows some degree of variation within species as well.
    :smile:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

/.02

Yeah..

I agree that you have been a fairly good sport.

For the record, there is a RadioLab that mentions micro-expressions: http://www.radiolab.org/story/91613-catching-liars/

It's interesting. Neander has it right, BTW. There isn't anything supernatural going on, it's just part of being human and is actually pretty neat. We humans are pretty amazing animals.