Eating 1200 calories and exercising , but losing very slowly

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem, whenever I first started trying to lose weight and eat healthy. I was monitoring my intake and walking 3-5 days a week for AT LEAST 30 minutes each time. I kept this up for about a month and a half without losing ANY weight and obviously I became very frustrated. Then I heard about green coffee bean and thought, ah that's cool, until someone I know also recommended it to me. I purchased a bottle from Walmart called PurelyInspired green coffee bean. It was about $9 for 60 tablets. Instructions say that you should take two tablets before a big meal twice a day but I've only been taking one tablet before two meals a day and I've seen results already. I've only been taking them about a week and already I've lost a few pounds. I'd definitely recommend giving them a try.
    There's no magic in those green tea pills.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I was eating back my exercise calories too and found that my weight loss was slow. As soon as I stuck to my 1200 calorie limit, regardless of exercise, the weight loss got faster. Also, try to do at least 45 mins of cardio (tred mill, stair climber, eliptical) at least 5-6 days a week. Its best to mix it up (different one each day) so you body doesn't "get used" to the same routine. Keep it guessing so it works harder. If your not a runner, you can go at a good walking pace but increase the incline to 7% or more. Not sure how much water your drinking, that helped me too. I drink about 80 oz in a 24 hr period.

Keep up the good work...you'll reach your goal and when you do, you will be so proud of yourself. :)

Blessings,
    Candice

Quick weight loss should not be anyone's goal. Quick weight loss = fat+muscle mass

If you want to lose mainly fat, if you want to lower your body fat % ......be pateint. Not everyone is large enough to lose 1 or 2 pounds every week.

Within 15 pounds of goal.......1/2 pound a week is good progress.

cardio, cardio, and more cardio will not help you keep existing muscle mass either......:flowerforyou:
    So agree.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Continue eating clean but don't restrict yourself from treats. You'll be fine. :)
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I love and agree with what you wrote!
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    If I were you, I'd read up on Eat More 2 Lose Weight (website). Also, I'd do your calculations at Scoobycalc (google that).

1500 still is barely over a small person's BMR. It's not enough food.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing why stress out creating bad hormones? The trouble with Modern Life is we want Instant Success.

That is why people make millions on skipping the pain or need for patience. Besides weight, is your body getting toned up? Are

clothes getting looser. The scale is a base line but does not rule my life about weight loss. How I feel, energy wise, and pain leaving

from my bones due to lighter body, and clothes fit. Go by the total package plus most important blood work and blood pressure.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I changed it to public! Didn't realize it was private lol. I also found out my BMR and TDEE and also changed my macros to fit my lean body mass and such, so I am going to up my calories to 1500 this week. Will change my diet to fit my macros (which I did today) and will try this new way for me!

I looked at your diary. I think you exercise calories are overestimated. I questions that a half hour of any aerobic/exercise video burns 300-500 calories. Where do you get these estimates from?

Also, are you weighting food? This is essential to accuracy.

For example, I can almost guarantee your that 28 almonds at .88 ounce is off. First of all, it takes about 22 to 24 almonds to make one ounce, or 28 grams (just weighed and counted), thus 28 almonds most likely weighs around 32 grams. That increases the calories by quite a bit.

If you don't already have one, digital food scales are only around $20.00.
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Even 1lb/week for your weight is still awesome! Slow and steady wins!!!

This is something I have been driving myself nuts with! I have 13.5 lbs left to lose. I have my weekly weight loss goal at 1lb a week. I should change that to 0.5 a week???
  • tawalker791
    tawalker791 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am getting my calories burned by using the Polar FT4 watch/HRM...it's pretty extreme exercise for the 30 mins and its a mix of strength/cardio but Idk, and as far as like the almonds, it says 28 nuts is 170 calories on the bag, and I only needed 150 cals or whatever so I calculated how many calories each nut is, and just had to play with the "serving size" on there until it got to 150 because I can't just enter that I ate 25 nuts or however many I'm eating.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I am getting my calories burned by using the Polar FT4 watch/HRM...it's pretty extreme exercise for the 30 mins and its a mix of strength/cardio but Idk, and as far as like the almonds, it says 28 nuts is 170 calories on the bag, and I only needed 150 cals or whatever so I calculated how many calories each nut is, and just had to play with the "serving size" on there until it got to 150 because I can't just enter that I ate 25 nuts or however many I'm eating.

Your Polar is only accurate for steady state cardio. It's not really designed to estimate your caloric burn from strength training or HIIT.
  • tfoste6278
    tfoste6278 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? I consume 101 oz of water daily, do Leslie sansone 7 to 6 times a wk, and started out on 1200 cals a day now up to 1800 but I don't eat up to that. I try to stay under it when I can. I feel great. I losing about 3-4lbs a wk. which I think its too fast but I will take what I can.
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    Oh, one other thing I just thought of....as nasty as it sounds...monitor your bathroom visits, as it is another indicator your body will give you. Darker urine is your body expelling toxins,etc. Lighter urine, you are getting enough water for your body to flush out toxins,etc. And (cover your eyes/ears for those who are squeamish) your bowel movements should be ...ummm...how do I say this....well, all of my very fit friends have large movements...daily! I know I'm on the right path when my poop makes half a track around the bowl and is solid :embarassed: If not, your not providing your body with enough and might be in starvation mode.

Whatever you do, don't listen to this lady.

Why? Any scientific evidence to back this up?
    Many articles talk about weight loss and bowel movements such as:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/you-regular-diet-exercise-affect-your-b520953
    or
    http://www.annapolis-nutrition-fitness.com/michaels-blog/170-constipation
    or
    http://www.ichoosethin.com/bowel-movement-from-beginning-to-end.html

It is a good indicator. Although I should clarify, I have a high energy efficient toilet and is smaller so the bowl is smaller than a toilet made in the 80s.