Cold Weather Ahead...the all soups thread

Options
14567810»

Replies

• sunnyand71
    sunnyand71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This sounds good. I think I just decided what is for dinner!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Potato and Leek Soup (non-dairy)

2 med red potato
    1 leek
    handful baby carrots
    water
    1-2 tsp olive oil
    sea salt

Peel and chop the red potatoes. Chop the leek (white and green, depends on preference). Gently cook 1-2 minutes. Add baby carrots olive oil, and enough water to cover the mixture. Add sea salt to taste. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. After approx 30 minutes take the back of a fork and mash the potatoes. Cook 5 minutes more. Delish! This is for one serving. Approximate 2 potatoes for each leek to make more.
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can tell that I already LOVE this!!! Can not wait to try it. Thinking this week!!! Thank you.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Roasted Cauliflower Soup
    (This quick and easy soup tastes like a cream soup without the cream!)

12 ounces of cauliflower
    1 medium onion
    2 teaspoons of olive oil
    2 14.5 ounce cans of low fat chicken broth
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place cauliflower (break into florets) and onion (sliced) on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, toss, add salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees, turn over half way through. Cauliflower should get dark brown spots on it.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth in a pot. Add the roasted cauliflower and onion. Deglaze the roasting pan with a little water and add to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.

Makes 4 BIG servings, 100 calories each.

I do this and roast off leeks and 1 potato with the cauliflower. The first few times I made it with cream, but have since made it with chicken stock and a cup of reduced fat sour cream. One of my favorites.

I also do a 3-bean chicken chili and a spinach, cannelini bean and sausage soup which is really low in calories. I have those recipes in my recipe database if anyone would like them.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I posted this one in the forums on it's own, but here it is again because it's a brilliant soup recipe and SUPER easy! (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/150100-hot-sour-soup)

Altered from my Good Housekeeping Soups & Stews recipe book...
    Hot & Sour Soup

Makes 4 main-dish servings

Ingredients
    1 medium chicken breast, approx 6oz
    1 900ml container blue menu low sodium chicken broth
    1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 16oz package nature extra firm tofu, cubed and patted dry
    1 medium zucchini, julienned
    1 stalk leek, bulb and lower greens, sliced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp minced ginger
    3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
    3 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
    1 3.5oz package enoki mushroooms
    2 Tbsp corn starch
    1/4 cup water
    1/2-1 tsp Sriracha Thai hot sauce
    2 eggs (optional)
    4 green onions, trimmed and sliced

In a small sauce pan, cover chicken with some of the chicken broth and bring to a simmer (reserve the rest of the broth for later). Poach chicken until cooked through and remove from broth. Let cool and then shred into bite sized pieces for soup. Reserve broth.
    In a soup pot, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add tofu and zucchini and cook for 2 mins, gently stirring. Add leeks and garlic and cook another 2-3 mins, until vegetables start to soften and tofu is heated through. Add chicken broth (total 900ml), soy sauce, vinegar and ginger and heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Add chicken and mushrooms and stir.
    In a small cup/bowl, blend cornstarch, water and sriracha until smooth. Stream into soup and boil for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, until thickened slightly.
    Optional:
    Beat 2 eggs. Pour eggs into soup in a thin, steady stream around the edge of the pot. Carefully stir soup onces in a circular motion to separate egg into strands.
    Serve immediately, topped with green onion, and with Sriracha to taste.

Using my ingredients, and without eggs, per serving:
    Calories 245
    Carbs 18
    Fat 8
    Protein 22
    Fiber 3
    Sodium 609

With 2 eggs:
    Calories 282
    Carbs 18
    Fat 11
    Protein 25
    Fiber 3
    Sodium 644

Enjoy
    Meag
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have the old recipet from years ago for Weight Watcher's chili?
    I was really more of a soup - it did not resemble chili at all.
    It was made with bean sprouts and other things that I cannot remember.

My mom used to make it years ago when she was in Weight Watcher's. - I was a teenager at that time and of course I did not like it then. My sister and I want to try making some BUT we cannot find the original. Mom died back in 1997, so we cannot ask her and no one else seems to know what we are talking about.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Several of my friends asked me for this the other day, so I decided to share it with everyone. I actually got the recipe from my former fiance's mom, so I can't take full credit. Feel free to substitute where you see fit. I did - this is the exact recipe of what I used to make it a little healthier. Next time I will probably use ground turkey breast instead of the 93% lean ground beef. I also cut down on the salt & pepper (original recipe is 1/2 tsp pepper & 3/4 tsp salt). And I used the Brummel & Brown as opposed to the butter. Also original recipe is 3/4 c chopped onion. I cut it down because CJ hates onions!

Cheeseburger Soup:

1 lb ground beef 93%lean
    1/2 c chopped onion
    3/4 c shredded carrots
    1 c diced celery
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp dried parsley flakes
    4.5 T Brummel & Brown yogurt spread (divided)
    3 c. Chicken Stock
    4 c diced peeled potatoes
    1/4 c all purpose flour
    8 oz Mild cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 c skim milk
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 c. light sour cream

In large pot brown beef; drain & set beef aside. In same pan saute onion, carrots, celery, basil, & parsley in 1-1/2 T butter until tender; about 10 minutes. Add chicken stock, potatoes, & beef; bring to boil.

Reduce heat; cover & simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile in small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour, cook & stir 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to boil. Cook & stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt & pepper; cook & stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.

Serves: 8

Per my ingredients:

289 calories per serving
    25 carbs
    20 protein
    2 fiber
    569 sodium
  • ButterflyOnFire
    Options
    Bump!

It's warming up here in D.C., but soup is always a hit in our house - even in the summer :0)
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Gidget86
    Gidget86 Posts: 45
    Options
    Bump
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We had some unseasonably cold weather here in LA for mid-May, a high of 65!!! I had a bunchy of fresh summer veggies in my fridge from the market so I decided to make a Summer Veggie soup. It is only 189 calories per serving, serves 7 and it is DE-vine!

Kitchen Basics - Chicken Stock, 2 container (4 cups ea.)
    Fresh Corn Cut Off the Cob - Vegetable, 2 Ear
    Bertolli's - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp (15ml)
    Onions - Raw, 1 medium (2-1/2" dia)
    Garlic - Vegetable - 4 Cloves , 4 cloves/2grams
    No Yolks - Extra Broad Egg Noodles, 0.334 Package (56g)
    Carrots - Raw, 2 medium
    Meat - Chicken Breast , 3 oz
    Zucchini - Medium, 1 zucchinni
    Fresh English Peas - Green Peas, 1 cup
    5 leaves of fresh basil

First you take two ears of corn and use a knife to remove the corn. It's okay if you leave some of the kernel on the cob. Set the corn aside. Leave the corn cobs out. Dice up half of the onion. Dice up the four cloves of garlic. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot and add the onions and garlic to med. heat on the stove. Add about a tsp of salt. Stir until the onions are translucent. Add all of the chicken stock and the corn cobs. Bring the broth up to a boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes.

While your broth is simmering, cut up everything else into about one inch square pieces. It doesn't have to be perfect, just try to get everything about the same size. Get out a sautee pan and put the other tablespoon of olive oil on med/high heat. Add the onion, carrots, corn, chicken and peas (if you decide to use frozen or canned, wait and add it later with the zucchini), plus about a tsp or so of salt. Let that stuff cook a bit. If things start to stick to the pan that's okay, we'll deal with it later. When you're about 5-7 minutes from your 30 minute broth timer going off, add the zucchini. When your broth timer goes off, remove the corn cobs and taste. It should have a nice corn flavor to it. Dump the veggies and chicken into the pot and stir. If there is anything stuck to the pan, pour a little bit of your broth into the pan and stir it with a wooden spoon over low heat. That should un-stick whatever is in there. Dump that into the pot and it should give the soup a wonderful depth of flavor. It will also help with clean up! :)

Bring everything up to a boil. Add the noodles. The chicken should be well cooked by now so you'll want to taste to make sure there's enough salt. When the noodles are almost done, tear up the basil into the soup and stir it in.

That should do it! It should freeze well too, so you can have it all week for lunches! Enjoy! :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    this is great, heading into Winter soon where I am and I LOVE soup
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    bump