Cold Weather Ahead...the all soups thread

Options
Hey everyone, I live in Utah and it is already starting to get cold out (and I am sick). I had the most amazing garden veggie soup from the deli today, and got to thinking that I want to know your favorite recipes for cold weather soups and stews are.

I want to share one that I really enjoy that is way easy to make. Please feel free to add your favorites.

~Jess :flowerforyou:

Turkey Chili with Black Beans and Corn

20 oz. ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can yellow corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can seasoned chili beans

Brown turkey in large skillet or large, but shallow pot. After 1 minute, add onion, red bell pepper, and spices. Cook until turkey is no longer pink. Add canned ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-45 minutes or until onions and peppers are soft.

Can garnish with light shredded cheese, light sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, etc. You can also rinse beans to reduce the sodium.

Nutrition Facts: Cal 215, Total Fat 6.5 g, Chol 0 mg, Sodium 350 mg, Total Carbs: 21.1 g, Dietary Fiber: 6.1 g, Protein: 19.4 g

*Forgot to add that this is 8 servings

Replies

• egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love to make chicken soup, and i usually just dump whatever in it as i go. I start with a pot of water, usually enough for 2 or 3, and add an OXO cube and a tsp of brown sugar. Boil them them together for a bit, add any raw veggies (potatoes, carotts, etc) and cook until they are about a quarter done, then add pasta; when the pasta is almost done, i add any frozen veggies for the last few minutes, as well as the precooked chicken.

Yummy!!

Here's a picture of some i made last May on my blog :

http://mmmhomecooking.blogspot.com/2010/05/chicken-noodle-soup-biscuits.html
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE soup. Here are some of my favorites...

Mexican Corn Stew

Olive Oil
    1 onion, chopped
    2 gloves of garlic, minced
    ¼ cup chopped jalapeno
    ½ cup sliced carrot
    ½ cup sliced celery
    2 chopped red, green, or yellow peppers
    3 Tbsp minced cilantro leaves
    6 cups vegetable, chicken, or beef stock
    3 cups corn
    1 can of red or black beans
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp coriander
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper

Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, plain yogurt, and salsa

Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil. Add jalapenos, carrot, celery, and peppers cook for a few minutes. Add rest of ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours. Top with garnish.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    WINTER SQUASH SOUP WITH GRUYERE CROUTONS

Soup
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    4 large garlic cloves, chopped
    3 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
    4 cups 1-inch pieces peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    4 cups 1-inch pieces peeled acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
    1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    2 teaspoons sugar (or brown sugar)
    Croutons
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    24 1/4-inch-thick baguette bread slices
    1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
    1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
    1 teaspoon minced fresh sage

For soup:
    Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth, all squash and herbs; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
    Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to same pot. Stir in cream and sugar; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.)
    For croutons:
    Preheat broiler. Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Arrange bread, buttered side up, on baking sheet. Broil until golden, about 1 minute. Turn over. Sprinkle cheese, then thyme and sage over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with croutons and serve.
    Serves 8.
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    yum!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am making chili tonight too. Mine was based on a vegetarian chili but I added chopped steak and chorizo. Now my son is vegetarian and I have turned it intp a vegetarian one. I use black, pinto and garbanzo beans which are all used in Mexico. I put in Chipolte Chilies. Yes I love soups. My latest favorite recipe is Souffle though/ Broccoli Goat cheese Souffle. I thought they were harder but this really is not too difficult. But here is my favorite soup recipe from the Authentic Mexican Cookbook: Avocado Soup
    Saute 2 T of chopped onions in butter or oil then add 2 T flour to form a paste. Stir in 4 cups of chicken broth a little at a time. then add a chopped tomato, salt and pepper as desired. Let this simmer. Puree 3 avocados with 1/2 cup of (low fat) sour cream. Pour the hot soup into boils and add 3 spoonfuls of avocado mixture to each bowl. Serves 4.
  • SabrinaM85
    Options
    Oh!! These all sound delish. And I will have to save them to make when it finally gets cold down here in Florida. Just know I am jealous of all of you with cooler weather already!!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ok I think I know what I am making this weekend after I get a chance to grocery shop....
    Thanks all
  • chelleim
    Options
    I love soup
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that will go to the store and pick up a variety of vegetables...often root vegetables that are in season and on sale. He goes home and cooks them, throws them into a big pot and seasons them with spices and often some red pepper. He blends them all up to a smooth texture and serves it with a dollup of sour cream or cream cheese in the middle. I know he has used various squashes, beets, turnip (which I never thought I would like, but was surprised), pumkins,... I thought it would be good with curry in it sometime depending on the vegetable, but Bob hates curry. A pumpkin soup would be good with a little nutmeg and cin.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread. I've been looking for soup ideas.

Bump bump bump!!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bump! Yummy!:love:
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Roasted Cauliflower Soup
    (This quick and easy soup tastes like a cream soup without the cream!)

12 ounces of cauliflower
    1 medium onion
    2 teaspoons of olive oil
    2 14.5 ounce cans of low fat chicken broth
    Salt and pepper to taste

Place cauliflower (break into florets) and onion (sliced) on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, toss, add salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes at 450 degrees, turn over half way through. Cauliflower should get dark brown spots on it.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth in a pot. Add the roasted cauliflower and onion. Deglaze the roasting pan with a little water and add to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.

Makes 4 BIG servings, 100 calories each.
  • flwyland
    Options
    bumping for later
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One of the greatest flavor combos for cauliflower is truffle. If you add just a couple drops of truffle oil to your bowl of cauliflower soup as a garnish, you'll add very few calories and an incredible burst of flavor. Truffle is also amazing with potato as well. Don't use it to cook with as the flavor will cook out with the heat, just add a couple drops right before you dig in to add flavor. Enjoy!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    these look sooooooo good. Fall food is my favorite food!
  • louisepurcell
    louisepurcell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Recipes look fantastic. Can I ask a question, for those of us outside the US, what do you call a 'cup' measurement? Is this a standard teacup? A Mug? Its always confused me!! thanks, would love to try out some of these.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My favourite soup is below.

550g of carrots
    1 large onion
    50g red lentils
    1 parsnip
    1 clove garlic
    Knob of fresh ginger
    1 tbsp of bouillon powder (marigold reduced sodium)
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tsp cumin
    Squirt of spray oil substitute or 1 tsp olive oil
    1-2 litres water
    fresh coriander

Blitz or grate carrot, onion, parsnip, ginger and garlic into little shreds. Squirt large pan with a spray or two of oil substitue or oil. Heat pan gently then add all the blitzed veg and the lentils and cook gently for 3-5 minutes until beginning to soften. Stir in spices and 1 litre of water mixed with the bouillon powder. Simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. Then you can blitz it again with a handheld blender or leave it nubbly. I generally add an additional 1/2 - 1 litre water or 'stock' at this point. Put it back on gentle simmer and adjust seasoning - it may need black pepper but probably not salt because of the bouillon powder. Serve with shredded fresh coriander. Makes 5 servings of around 110 cals each - more with olive oil though.

It works really well with the addition of some butternut squash, sweet potato and red pepper - obviously changes the cals though.
  • maynard46
    Options
    Mmmm, soup!!! I will be back to add some recipes:happy:
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    tagging