yummy
  • cread12
    Options
    yummy
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Easy Chicken Noodle Soup (Slow Cooker Style) :love:

Love this - so easy it's ridiculous. My husband and I can eat off of this for about 4 Days!

1 Roasted Chicken (store bought, shredded from bone, no skin)
    4 Small Cans or One Huge Can of Chicken Broth Stock (low sodium)
    2 Cans of Cream of Mushroom (low sodium)
    1 Cup Celery Chopped
    1 Cup White Onion Chopped
    1 Cup Carrots (or some mini ones)
    Dash of Mrs. Dash or All Purpose Seasoning
    Salt and Pepper to Taste (about tea. each)

Toward the last half an hour or hour... add in noodles. I don't use a lot, about a cup or two and it is whole wheat.....
    whatever I have on hand.

Cook on high in slow cooker about 2-3 Hours
    Or on low about 4-5 i think.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options

Love this - so easy it's ridiculous. My husband and I can eat off of this for about 4 Days!

Wow, thank you for this!! I found my meal for the weekend!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe that always goes over well at my house :) We love having it in the late fall months and just had it last week. I always forget how easy and delicious it is!

Fiesta Chicken Soup - Serves 6
    Original source: http://www.dairygoodness.ca/recipes/fiesta-chicken-soup

1lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces
    2 tsp canola oil
    1 large onion, diced
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 large bell pepper, diced
    2-3 fresh jalapeno peppers, diced
    1.5 Tbsp chili powder
    2 cups no salt added chicken stock
    1/4 cup (4T) tomato paste
    2 1/2 cups milk (I use 1%)
    2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 cup frozen corn kernels, whole
    3 Tbsp Frank's red hot sauce, or to taste
    8 small corn tortilla, cut into strips
    Cooking spray
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oven to 425F.
    In a pot on medium heat, brown chicken pieces (I normally never add oil for this -- chicken gives off enough juice not to require it. If you want, you could add some oil at this stage). Remove from pot and reserve. Add 2 tsp of oil and cook onions, both peppers and garlic until softened, about 5 mins. Add chili powder and cook another 2-3 mins. Stir in chicken stock and tomato paste and bring to a simmer. Whisk flour and milk together and add to the pot slowly. Cook, stirring often, until the soup is slightly thickened.

Spread tortilla strips on 2 separate baking sheets with ample room in between. Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake on the middle rack for 7-10 mins, or until lightly toasted. I do this in batches so that the pans are not overlapping - you don't really need to flip these as they should brown on each side. Divide into 2 equal portions.

Add reserved chicken and corn to the soup after 10-15 mins of simmering. Once combined, add 1 portion of the baked tortilla strips. Cook until heated through, another 2 minutes. Add hot sauce and season to taste. Serve with remaining tortilla chips and cilantro (and shredded cheese and tomatoes, if you want)

Using my specific brands and ingredients:
    Calories 277
    Carbs 33
    Fat 4
    Protein 24
    Fiber 5
    Sodium 246

Enjoy!
    -Meag
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

Toward the last half an hour or hour... add in noodles. I don't use a lot, about a cup or two and it is whole wheat.....
    whatever I have on hand.

Cook on high in slow cooker about 2-3 Hours
    Or on low about 4-5 i think.
    May be a silly question, but - Do you use dry or cooked noodles?
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks for all of your posts. I am going to add another soup recipe that I love from Cooking Light today. It's a little high in sodium so I watch my sodium for the rest of the day or I buy the lowest sodium broth I can find. Very fast to make for soup.

CHICKEN-ORZO SOUP

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

1 (32-ounce) container fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
    1/2 cup uncooked orzo
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped carrot
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 1/4 cups water
    3 fresh parsley sprigs
    1 fresh thyme sprig
    4 cups fresh baby spinach
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Bring 1 3/4 cups broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo; cook 10 minutes or until done. Drain.
    2. While orzo cooks, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrot, celery, onion, and chicken; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 2 1/4 cups broth, 1 1/4 cups water, parsley, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard herb sprigs. Add orzo, spinach, juice, salt, and pepper; simmer 1 minute.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:224
    Fat:4.7g (sat 0.9g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.7g)
    Protein:22g
    Carbohydrate:22.6g
    Fiber:3g
    Cholesterol:47mg
    Iron:1.5mg
    Sodium:750mg
    Calcium:43mg
    yum!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Bump 'cause soup rocks. :happy:
  • numberscolors
    Options
    bummmppp
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hrlamm
    Options
    Its fate! I was thinking today, "man, I wonder if I can find a good recipe for squash soup", then I came across this!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bumpety bump bump
  • carmen1485
    Options
    I have soup plans for lunch later today. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe. These soups look great and some are definitely going in my recipe folder.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/week/weeklydetails.php?isid=1971

I just made the chicken enchilada soup from the link above and it is fantastic. I had to adapt it because I couldn't find enchilada sauce in a liquid form, so I used a can of chopped tomatoes, a packet of enchilada seasoning sauce and a can of diced green chilis. I used a hand blender to liquefy everything before I threw in the cooked chicken and corn. My husband described this as "the best food ever"...before I told him it was healthier. Bear in mind that it's super high in sodium, but soooo good...and it went together in about fifteen minutes flat.
  • carmen1485
    Options
    Spiced Roasted Veg Soup

I love soup with warm bread although I'm trying to learn to live with less bread and more soup. I made this yesterday and had it with a couple of oatcakes.

On the MFP recipe counter this comes out as 159 calories per serving.

It's a great way to use up the rather tired looking veg in the bottom of the cupboard and any root veg will do.

2 onions
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 sweet potato
    2 carrots , sliced
    4 parsnips chopped
    1l vegetable stock from granules or a cube

Heat the oven to 220 degrees C
    Peel and chop the veg.
    Put the oil in large bowl and add the spices and stir - feel free to change them so suit your taste.
    Toss the veg in the oil and spices until they are coated. You might need to add more oil but be sparing.
    Spread the veg in a single layer on a large baking sheet. I use a 'dry bake' one with ridges and holes in so that they don't sit in the oil.
    Bake in the oven for about 30-40 mins until browned, turning occasionally. It depends how large the chunks of veg are as to how long you cook it.
    In the meantime make the stock up.
    When the veg are cooked blitz in two (or three) batches with some of the stock in each batch. It's easier to add about 300ml of stock to each batch. Once blitzed pour in saucepan. Add the remaining stock if it is too thick and heat through gently.
    If it's too liquid you could add some red lentils and cook through until the lentils are tender.
  • Doddiellie
    Doddiellie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are some fab sounding recipes there. I know what I'm going to be making for lunches :wink:
  • Doddiellie
    Doddiellie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I went to a fancy Thai restaurant this weekend with my bf. I had a soup called Gai Tom Kha. I really wish I could find a light version of this recipe because it tasted so fresh with yummy spices. Too bad it has a coconut milk base. I bet that makes up for a lot of the calories and fat. Oh man, it was so good!!

Could you not try using a Light Coconut Milk, I buy a brand called Blue Dragon here in the UK and their light coconut milk is half the calories 102 cals rather than 198 cals and 9.6 g of fat rather than 19.8g per 100ml. I'm sure using that you could make a nice tasty skinny version. I use the light stuff all the time and there is no difference in creaminess or taste.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bump.....

I posted a soup last night that I thought was on this thread....but I was wrong!

Caribbean SweetPotato Crockpot Stew

A delicious one-dish meal that simmers in the crockpot for hours while you work or run errands. Pair with a simple fruit or green salad. Chorizo sausage, cumin, allspice and sweet potatoes, give this chicken stew hints of both the Caribbean and the Southwest.

2 medium North Carolina sweet potatoes
    2 boneless chicken breast halves
    1 pound chorizo sausage ( I use spicy chicken sausage)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2cloves garlic, minced
    1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes and juice
    1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    fresh chopped parsley

Peel and dice sweetpotatoes into 1-inch cubes. Cut chicken and sausage into 1-inch pieces. Combine in crockpot with remaining ingredients, saving out chopped parsley for garnish. Cover and simmer 4 hours on low heat, or until sweetpotatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through. Serves 6 to 8.

Nutritional Information Per 1 1/2 cup Serving:
    Calories 396; Protein 30g; Carbohydrates 28g (29% calories from Carbs); Dietary Fiber 5g; Total Fat 40g (40% calories from fat); Vitamin A 1206 RE; Vitamin C 24mg.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for the recipes! :happy: