Cold Weather Ahead...the all soups thread

Options

Replies

• pressica
    Options
    Thanks for all of your posts. I am going to add another soup recipe that I love from Cooking Light today. It's a little high in sodium so I watch my sodium for the rest of the day or I buy the lowest sodium broth I can find. Very fast to make for soup.

CHICKEN-ORZO SOUP

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

1 (32-ounce) container fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
    1/2 cup uncooked orzo
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped carrot
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 1/4 cups water
    3 fresh parsley sprigs
    1 fresh thyme sprig
    4 cups fresh baby spinach
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Bring 1 3/4 cups broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo; cook 10 minutes or until done. Drain.
    2. While orzo cooks, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrot, celery, onion, and chicken; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining 2 1/4 cups broth, 1 1/4 cups water, parsley, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard herb sprigs. Add orzo, spinach, juice, salt, and pepper; simmer 1 minute.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:224
    Fat:4.7g (sat 0.9g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.7g)
    Protein:22g
    Carbohydrate:22.6g
    Fiber:3g
    Cholesterol:47mg
    Iron:1.5mg
    Sodium:750mg
    Calcium:43mg
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Recipes look fantastic. Can I ask a question, for those of us outside the US, what do you call a 'cup' measurement? Is this a standard teacup? A Mug? Its always confused me!! thanks, would love to try out some of these.

1 cup = 8oz, if that helps.
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I make a quick, easy soup using chick peas. It's my "I'm tired & don't have anything planned" diner. I always have the ingredients on hand.

15 minute Chick Pea Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, minced (more or less to taste, I like a lot)
    1 can of chick peas
    4 cups water or stock
    2 oz spaghetti, broken into 1-2" pieces

Sauté garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add chick peas, including the liquid from the can. Add water or stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add spaghetti. Boil for about 8 minutes. Enjoy!

It's surprisingly good for so few ingredients.Sometimes I add a little tomato paste or spices to the broth.
  • pressica
    Options
    I make a quick, easy soup using chick peas. It's my "I'm tired & don't have anything planned" diner. I always have the ingredients on hand.

15 minute Chick Pea Soup

Dang!! This would be SUPER cheap!! I will have to try it.
  • NinjaPrincess
    Options
    bump
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Southwestern Chicken soup

2 cups Chicken meat, chopped (white, dark or a combo)
    1 can whole Kernel Corn, with juice
    1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    1 16-ounce jar Salsa (as mild or as hot as you like it)
    2 cups Chicken Stock
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili powder (to taste - Optional)
    Water
    Sour Cream (optional)
    Shredded Con Queso Cheese (Mexican-style cheddar - Optional)
    Chopped, fresh Cilantro (optional)

In a large saucepan combine all ingredients. Heat to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. If soup is too thick, you may add some water OR more chicken broth to desired thickness. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes on low heat (should simmer) with lid on. Serve hot. This is very good & pretty with a dollop of sour cream in the center of each bowl and then sprinkle some shredded cheese around the outside and then sprinkle some fresh, chopped cilantro over the whole bowl.

I usually add more chicken. My husband and son eat it with tortillas and the cheese and sour cream. I usually have a low-carb tortilla with mine and skip the cheese and sour cream.
  • sandara
    Options
    Cabbage Soup

1 large can of stewed tomatoes
    1 large can or I use the plastic bags of sauerkraut
    2 lbs of browned ground beef or turkey
    1 onion, chopped

About 30 minutes before serving add the following:
    1 large can of tomato sauce
    1 Medium head of chopped cabbage

Very low-carb but high in sodium because of the sauerkraut
  • sandara
    Options
    Fast & Easy Ham & Bean Soup (high in sodium)

Great for leftover ham from thanksgiving or Christmas.

1 lg can or carton chicken broth
    1 tsp. ham soup base (in grocery by the bouillon)
    3 skinny slices of onion, chopped
    1 can Great Northern Beans
    Ham, cut into small pieces (your choice of amount) Turkey ham is good if you can find it.
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced

I put the chicken broth, soup base, garlic, and onion into small crock-pot and cook on low for an hour or so. I then add the beans and ham. Cook on low about another hour or more, letting the flavors mingle. Serve. Sometimes I put it all in together and cook it an hour or two. I'm not fond of carrots or celery in mine, but if you are...go for it! WARNING: Do not add salt! The ham soup base is loaded with it.
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not quick, but a MUST for great soups and stews:

Homemade Chicken/Turkey Stock

This is what you do with your leftover holiday turkey or a large chicken carcass (or two small freeze one until you have the second) ... make a fabulous stock!

8 quarts cold water
    1 turkey carcass, meat removed, leaving some crisp skin on if possible
    Mirepoix:
    8 ounces onions, chopped
    4 ounces celery with tops, chopped
    4 ounces carrots, chopped
    2 small heads garlic, cut in half horizontally

Spices:
    1 teaspoon or so black peppercorns, cracked
    6-8 parsley stems, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
    1/4 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
    1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
    1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves
    The above ingredients are placed into a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a sack, or use a metal tea ball. Or just put it in if you plan on straining the stock at the end.
    Break up the turkey carcass, and chop some of the larger bones in half. Put the carcass in the stockpot with the water and bring slowly to a simmer. Periodically skim off any scum that forms, and if you wish use a skimmer to skim off the fat. (This stock simmering process makes your house smell REALLY good!) Let this simmer for two hours, or 4, or even 6.

Add the mirepoix and sachet; tie the sachet closed with some twine and tie the long end of the twine to the handle of the pot; this makes the bag easier to retrieve. (A tea ball also works well.) Simmer for one more hour.

Remember that during the simmering process, it's best not to stir the stock. The end result will be much clearer if it is not agitated while simmering.

Strain thoroughly; the best way to do this is to ladle the stock out and pour it through a strainer which has been lined with a couple of layers of damp cheesecloth. If you're using the stock immediately, skim off as much fat as you can with a fat skimmer or a piece of paper towel, otherwise cool the stock right away by placing the container into an ice-water-filled sink, stirring to bring the hot liquid from the center to the sides of the container. Don't just put hot stock in the refrigerator; it won't cool enough to prevent possible multiplication of harmful bacteria. To defat the stock easily, refrigerate overnight, until the fat solidifies on the surface, then skim off.

Makes about 6 quarts of stock.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Southwestern Chicken soup

2 cups Chicken meat, chopped (white, dark or a combo)
    1 can whole Kernel Corn, with juice
    1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    1 16-ounce jar Salsa (as mild or as hot as you like it)
    2 cups Chicken Stock
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili powder (to taste - Optional)
    Water
    Sour Cream (optional)
    Shredded Con Queso Cheese (Mexican-style cheddar - Optional)
    Chopped, fresh Cilantro (optional)

In a large saucepan combine all ingredients. Heat to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. If soup is too thick, you may add some water OR more chicken broth to desired thickness. Reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes on low heat (should simmer) with lid on. Serve hot. This is very good & pretty with a dollop of sour cream in the center of each bowl and then sprinkle some shredded cheese around the outside and then sprinkle some fresh, chopped cilantro over the whole bowl.

I usually add more chicken. My husband and son eat it with tortillas and the cheese and sour cream. I usually have a low-carb tortilla with mine and skip the cheese and sour cream.

Yum! This sounds delish!
  • amrevis
    Options
    bump
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    tagging for when I have time :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Recipes look fantastic. Can I ask a question, for those of us outside the US, what do you call a 'cup' measurement? Is this a standard teacup? A Mug? Its always confused me!! thanks, would love to try out some of these.

A cup is a standard measuring size here -- for liquid measurements, it is 8 fluid ounces or 240 mL (30 ml/fluid ounce).

Hope that helps!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try my hand at soup...great thread to have handy!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Easy, inexpensive soup - all amounts are what we used, but obviously could be adjusted per your tastes:

Pinto Bean & Vegetable soup

6 cups vegetable or chicken broth (we used low-sodium veggie broth)
    5 medium potatoes
    2 carrots
    2 parsnips
    5 small zucchini
    4 celery stalks
    1 small onion
    1 can of no-salt-added pinto beans (or about a cup and a half if you cook them yourself) **Personally I'd double this, as the bean to soup ratio was pretty low - I got maybe 10 beans in my whole bowl - :ohwell:
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine the broth and veggies (everything except the beans) - bring to a boil and then simmer until all veggies are well-cooked. Use a food processor/blender or hand blender to blend-up the veggie soup base. Add in the beans and heat until beans are warmed.

Simple and delicious!! I can think of so many different versions of this - it would be good with ground turkey or shredded chicken. Other types of beans would be good, too.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Bump! thanks for hte thread :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump to add some a bit later:wink:

Hard to think of eating Chili today as it's in the 90's again. Though I did have soup on the brain yesterday when it was in the 40's:wink::laugh:

Thanks for starting us out pressica, great thread idea! :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • jvbehr
    Options
    Thanks so much for a low-carb soup! I love the corn/beans/pasta soups, but just can't do much of those. Any other low-carb soup recipes would be welcome from anyone.
  • pressica
    Options
    Hello my lovelies! I have my latest contribution. I had asparagus soup the other night and wanted to find a low-sodium version to make at home. Here it is.

LOW SODIUM ASPARAGUS SOUP

Ingredients
    45 Asparagus Spears 8-10 in
    2 Cups Carrots (grated)
    2 Cups Broccoli (chopped)
    2 Cloves Garlic
    1/2 cup Onions (minced)
    1 Cup sodium free Chicken Broth ( or 1 packet Herb Ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon)

Directions
    Chop Asparagus and Broccoli ( can use frozen florets). Grate the Carrot and onions. Mince the garlic. Put all in a large pan. Add enough water to just cover the vegetable. Once the water is boiling add a packet of chicken bouillon. If you are using a liquid broth add it before you add the water. Once the soup is boiling turn down the heat and simmer until the soup becomes thick. Makes about 6 cups.

Calories: 72.9
    Total Fat: 0.6 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 37.4 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.9 g
    Protein: 5.7 g