Cold Weather Ahead...the all soups thread

Options

Replies

• lifeis2enjoy
    Options
    Thank you Jessica for the chili turkey soup receipe. I have been looking for a good one. I am looking forward to making this on the weekend.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hello my lovelies! I have my latest contribution. I had asparagus soup the other night and wanted to find a low-sodium version to make at home. Here it is.

LOW SODIUM ASPARAGUS SOUP

Ingredients
    45 Asparagus Spears 8-10 in
    2 Cups Carrots (grated)
    2 Cups Broccoli (chopped)
    2 Cloves Garlic
    1/2 cup Onions (minced)
    1 Cup sodium free Chicken Broth ( or 1 packet Herb Ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon)

Directions
    Chop Asparagus and Broccoli ( can use frozen florets). Grate the Carrot and onions. Mince the garlic. Put all in a large pan. Add enough water to just cover the vegetable. Once the water is boiling add a packet of chicken bouillon. If you are using a liquid broth add it before you add the water. Once the soup is boiling turn down the heat and simmer until the soup becomes thick. Makes about 6 cups.

Calories: 72.9
    Total Fat: 0.6 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 37.4 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.9 g
    Protein: 5.7 g

mmmmm! Supper Tonight!!
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I make a quick, easy soup using chick peas. It's my "I'm tired & don't have anything planned" diner. I always have the ingredients on hand.

15 minute Chick Pea Soup

Dang!! This would be SUPER cheap!! I will have to try it.

and super easy love it!

Supper tomorow night!
    thanks!!
  • PlatinumPiggy
    Options
    BUMP
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe a while back on another thread also.

Turkey, White Bean, Spinach & Tomato Soup

1 20oz package of Ground Turkey (I used Jennie-O Lean Ground Italian Seasoned)
    1 large Vidalia Onion, chopped
    1 large Green Bell Pepper, chopped
    Few dashes of salt & pepper
    1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 14oz can of Stewed Tomatoes (I used Red Gold)
    1 14oz can of Diced Tomatoes (I used Red Gold Petite Diced Garlic & Olive Oil)
    1 14oz can of White Beans, rinsed and drained (I used Goya Small White Beans Low Sodium)
    14oz water
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 9 or 10oz package of Frozen Chopped Spinach (I used Green Giant Chopped No Sauce)

Add ground turkey, salt, pepper & garlic powder to a soup pot over medium heat. When halfway cooked, add chopped onion and green pepper. When turkey is cooked through drain liquid and grease. Add stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, white beans, water and italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add spinach (I put it in frozen, or you could thaw it first) and cook for 5 - 10 more minutes or until spinach is heated through.

This made 10 cups of very chunky soup. I divided it into 6 servings of 1 2/3 cups for each serving.

Here is the nutrition info per serving based on the specific items I used. The sodium is high, however if you use plain ground turkey instead of italian seasoned, it goes down by like 500g per serving Use low sodium versions of the canned tomatoes to reduce it even more if you need to.

Calories - 271
    Fat - 7
    Sat Fat - 2
    Trans Fat - 0
    Cholesterol - 67
    Sodium - 1241
    Carbs - 27
    Fiber - 6
    Sugar - 10
    Protein - 23
  • aunienue
    Options
    yummy
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    bump!
  • BellaCoconut
    Options
    Ooooh, what a great thread!! I love soup!! Thanks to all for the delicious recipes!! *mouth watering*:drinker: ( they're cups of soup!)

I make a soup with Pumpkin, Sweet potato and Red lentils..its really easy!

Chop 1 medium brown onion, fry in about 2 tbsp olive oil, then add garam masala/ a combination of spices such as cumin, coriander (ground), mustard seeds, all spice..whatever takes your fancy. Add 2 cups of red lentils, fry them for a minute and then add several cups each of chopped pumpkin and sweet potato(or just the pumpkin, its up to you). Cover the lot with about 750mls water and throw in a couple of vegie stock cubes...then let it simmer for say, 20-25 mins. Season with a bit of cracked pepper.Thats it...you can also add a dollop of yoghurt or light sour cream. I also make this using a bit of curry powder for variation...

:flowerforyou:
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    These all sound so good. I live in utah as well. Not excited for the cold weather. I love turkey chili. I usually just dump stuff in.

Turkey Chili

1 pound ground turkey cooked
    1 or 2 cans black beans
    1 or 2 cans kidney beans
    1 or 2 cans crushed tomatoes
    1 small can tomato paste
    as much onion as you want
    a little garlic
    some chili powder
    a little brown sugar (I like mine a little sweet)
    pepper

Thats the beauty of it you can adjust the spices to what you want.

I also love corn chowder but i don't have my exact recipe but I will do my best to remember

Corn Chowder
    1 can cream corn
    1 can corn
    1 can fat free evaporated milk
    green peppers
    bacon(i use turkey bacon)

You could also add onion, some white pepper, and most any vegetable you wanted.
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    These all sound great! Here is one of my favorites:

Mexican Veggie Soup-

Large can of reduced sodium chicken broth
    Medium Zucchini, sliced
    Medium Yellow Squash, sliced
    1 bag of frozen tri-colored peppers (yellow, green and red)
    1 can of black beans rinsed
    1 C salsa (any kind you like)
    1 can of rotel tomatoes
    1 can diced tomatoes
    Taco Seasoning to taste (or for lower sodium add chili powder and cumin)

Dump everything in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Cook until vegetables are tender. Take out 1 cup of veggies and run through blender and add back to the pot.

Can add chicken, low fat cheese, sour cream or guacomole for a great meal!
  • CeciHarper
    Options
    Oh!! These all sound delish. And I will have to save them to make when it finally gets cold down here in Florida. Just know I am jealous of all of you with cooler weather already!!

AMEN TO THAT! =D I'm in Louisiana & some cooler weather would be NICE! Now I just have to figure out how to cool a "healthy" gumbo! haha!!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I just got this recipe on a newsletter from www.BetterReccipes.com I think I'm gonna hafta try it.

Black Bean and Pork Stew

Ingredients
    · 1 lb pork roast, loin or chops, cut into 1 inch cubes
    · 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    · 1 10 oz or more can of diced tomatoes and chiles
    · 1 medium onion, diced
    · 1 15 oz can chicken broth
    · 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    · 2 cloves or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    · Prepared salsa, optional
    · Sour cream, optional

Method
    If desired brown pork on stove top first; season with salt and pepper then fry in a little vegetable oil until golden brown. Add all ingredients to a crock pot. Cook on low setting 6-8 hours. Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired.

Notes:

Number of Servings: 6-8
  • jennybunny
    Options
    courtesy of my mother to all of you:

"I'm Lazy" Potato Soup

6 cups (or about 3-4 medium potatoes) peeled, cubed potato
    1 sweet onion
    8 oz fat free cream cheese
    8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    1 tbsp olive oil
    pepper to taste

Chop the onion very fine and sauté in the olive oil until the onion is translucent.
    Add the potatoes and broth to the sautéed onion and bring to a boil.
    Simmer 30-60 minutes or until potatoes have disintegrated. It isn't cheating to help them along with a hand mixer if you're short on time.
    Stir in the cream cheese until it is melted and distributed throughout the soup.
    Pepper to taste, serve hot. Suggested garnish: green onion.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I made a fantastic Potato Chowder last night - here's the link for the recipe and the info is already in the MFP database so it was easy to add!

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/featured-brands/healthified-cheesy-potato-chowder.aspx
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love Hot & Sour Soup and got this from A Year of Crockpotting. I sometimes add baby corn or other veggies. Very easy and very yummy.

Crockpot Hot and Sour Soup

--1 cup cubed firm tofu
    --2 cups chicken broth
    --2 cups water
    --1 package of sliced mushrooms
    --1 can bamboo shoots
    --1 can sliced water chestnuts
    --2 tablespoon soy sauce
    --1 teaspoon sesame oil
    --2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (and some more later)
    --1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (and some more later)
    --green onion for garnish

The Directions:

Combine everything in your slow cooker. Use a 3 or 4 quart. Cook on low for 7-9 hours or high 4-5.

Taste. If you need more of the sour flavor, add more rice wine vinegar. If you need more of the hot flavor, add more red pepper flakes. . Garnish with sliced green onion.

• beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    tagging this for later!
  • sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bump - I really want that Veggie Mexican Soup :drinker:
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Bump... Mmmmmm.....
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hey those of you from Utah I am looking for the Turkey Chili recipie that is served at Deer Valley. I would love any help finding it.

One my kids love is Egg Drop Soup

8 Cups water
    8 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
    1/2 cube of fish bouillon
    6 Tbsp. cornstarch
    3/4 cup cold water
    2 eggs beaten
    1 cup frozen corn

Combine water and bouillon to large pot, after the bouillon has disolved bring to a boil.
    Mix cornstarch and cold water mix until smooth. Add to soup and bring to boil while stiring.
    Add beaten eggs into thickened broth, pull a fork through the soup. (Do not stir)
    After a minute add the corn.
    Cover and simmer on low about 30 min.

Edit: I will add a few drops of yellow food coloring to make it look more like from the resturant.
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    These look wonderful! Thanks for sharing these! Can't wait to start trying them out!