Anyone have any suggestion on a jump start program

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 5 weeks and have lost 26 pounds. For the first 3 days, I did 1/2 hour on the eliptical. Then I moved to an 800 calorie burned daily goal (about 56 minutes). When I lost the first 10 lbs after like 2 weeks, my goals were re-calculated and 80 calories were taken away from my daily allowance (ughhhhhh!!) so I upped my calories burned to 880 daily. I didn't see the results I wanted that week, so I bumped it up to 1200 calories burned daily. On top of that, I try not to eat more than 1000 calories daily; although on the days I have to be in the office all day, I usually go over. I look at it like this: When I am down to my goal weight, my metabolisim will be functioning correctly and I will be able to eat whatever I like (in moderation), but for now I GOTTA WORK. Which sucks.

Ugh......this sounds horrible. Is your goal for your body fat percentage to stay right where it's at? This is a perfect diet for removing (that pesky) lean muscle mass.

OP - start with some MODERATE changes....lifestyle changes. Make a weekly goal to exercise. I started with 60 minutes. Make yourself accountable.....you can put smiley faces on a calendar. After you get used to making time for exercise.....add minutes.

I would look for something you can enjoy doing. Starting out you might not enjoy your exercise, but try something else, and try something else again.....it will click eventually.

Eating - make a goal to eat more veggies. These are mostly low calorie & high fiber......filling foods that will naturally take the place of something else. Make a goal to eat less sugar (this is my nemisis)......you don't have to be perfect....you just have to make more good decisions than bad.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 5 weeks and have lost 26 pounds. For the first 3 days, I did 1/2 hour on the eliptical. Then I moved to an 800 calorie burned daily goal (about 56 minutes). When I lost the first 10 lbs after like 2 weeks, my goals were re-calculated and 80 calories were taken away from my daily allowance (ughhhhhh!!) so I upped my calories burned to 880 daily. I didn't see the results I wanted that week, so I bumped it up to 1200 calories burned daily. On top of that, I try not to eat more than 1000 calories daily; although on the days I have to be in the office all day, I usually go over. I look at it like this: When I am down to my goal weight, my metabolisim will be functioning correctly and I will be able to eat whatever I like (in moderation), but for now I GOTTA WORK. Which sucks.

How are you not dying and/or starving right now!? 1000 calories and not working out most people would be quite hungry... burning 1200 daily and eating 1000 sounds extremely dangerous. I'm not a doctor but this sounds like the beginnings of an ED/overexercising disorder. Are you under the supervision of a doctor? This sounds way too extreme to do on your own. Also... extremely unsustainable long-term which means you might end up gaining back everything you lost when you eventually go insane. Also also... are you accurately counting your calorie burns (using an hrm)? I find it highly unlikely most people would have time to burn 1200 calories daily... that's like 3 hours of straight fairly intense cardio (depending on your heart rate, age, weight, gender, etc). In any case, OP, would not listen to this advice you will do it for two weeks, lose 10 lbs unhealthily, go crazy, quit and gain back 15-20.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    no such thing as a jump start...

just start eating in a calorie deficit and working out more...

on a trampoline
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing good things about alli. Supposed to jump start weight lost Give it the try!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing good things about alli. Supposed to jump start weight lost Give it the try!

Whah!.......you heard something "good" about Alli ......somebody lied to you......or you're just trollin'
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

That way lies danger....and pooped stained pants. I would steer far away from Alli.
  • rjkstesch
    Options
    Cleaning up your diet can make a big difference, along with lots of water (2 liters per day) and some exercise. Take a look at the 30 day green smoothie challenge on http://simplegreensmoothies.com as a way to add fruits and vegetables into your diet. They are very good.

When you are up to the challenge, they also have a 21 day cleanse. It is challenging - fruits, vegetables, nuts, and healthy fats. Designed by a nutritionist, it keeps the proper nutrition going, including protein, with cleanse friendly food. It is about removing the toxins from your body, and getting your gut working well, not about weight loss. Still, many lose 5 or more pounds because they are eating healthy. Be aware that this cleanse is not about counting calories, but about getting proper nutrition. During that 21 days you will get rid of coffee, alcohol, soda, refined sugar, gluten (most grains), and meat. The foods are fresh, mostly organic and the recipes require a good deal of prep. That being said, after the first few days of toxin release, you feel great have great skin and can think clearly.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Cleaning up your diet can make a big difference, along with lots of water (2 liters per day) and some exercise.
    YES
    When you are up to the challenge, they also have a 21 day cleanse. It is challenging - fruits, vegetables, nuts, and healthy fats. Designed by a nutritionist, it keeps the proper nutrition going, including protein, with cleanse friendly food. It is about removing the toxins from your body, and getting your gut working well, not about weight loss. Still, many lose 5 or more pounds because they are eating healthy. Be aware that this cleanse is not about counting calories, but about getting proper nutrition. During that 21 days you will get rid of coffee, alcohol, soda, refined sugar, gluten (most grains), and meat. The foods are fresh, mostly organic and the recipes require a good deal of prep. That being said, after the first few days of toxin release, you feel great have great skin and can think clearly.

NO!!!!!! Toxins, schmoxins - cleanses are a bunch of hooey.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

56 mins on the elliptical burns 800 calories??

is this real life?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The best "Jump Start" that I can recommend would be to start with the basics:

1. Good Nutrition (count all calories)
    2. Increase activity
    3. Drink plenty of water!

Good luck!

^this

...and #2 and #3 are optional.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Good ole' fashion calorie logging and exercise. Programs are a waste of money and time. People never stick to them for the long haul, so why bother? ;)
  • AmyP619
    Options

is this real life?

Amy, I burn 15-18 calories a minute on the elliptical. A 50 minute elliptical workout for me burns 750+ calories. :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    no such thing as a jump start...

just start eating in a calorie deficit and working out more...

on a trampoline

TRAMPOLINES GIVE AMAZING RESULTS IN JUST 4 DAYS!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1202063-mini-trampoline-amazing-results
  • dettles
    dettles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

is this real life?

Amy, I burn 15-18 calories a minute on the elliptical. A 50 minute elliptical workout for me burns 750+ calories. yes, this is real life. ;)

I sincerely doubt this.*

(* This is just my opinion. It may be incorrect. It's okay if you or anyone else disagrees. However, I'm pretty sure I'm right.)
  • AmyP619
    Options

is this real life?
    [/quote]

Amy, I burn 15-18 calories a minute on the elliptical. A 50 minute elliptical workout for me burns 750+ calories. yes, this is real life. ;)
    [/quote]

I sincerely doubt this.*

(* This is just my opinion. It may be incorrect. It's okay if you or anyone else disagrees. However, I'm pretty sure I'm right.)
    [/quote]

I wear an HRM when I workout. Yes, I burn 15-18 cals a minute on an elliptical. You have to factor in weight/fitness level. A 130 lb person is not going to burn that on an elliptical, but I don't weigh 130 lbs. After a 50 minute workout a few nights ago, my calorie burn was like 770 something cals. I had nothing to do with the rest of that previous girl's post, I was just saying that it IS possible to burn over 800 cals on the elliptical in 56 mins.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You don't have to kill it with exercise when you are starting out, as you should work up gradually as you gain strength and stamina, but I do find that some type of "movement" almost every day for me is important. Not necessary a big calorie-burning workout, but at least a 30-minute walk. Just move.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Yes, uncontrollable anal leakage sure jump-starts weight loss. Especially because you are forced to stay home, where the bathroom is just a few steps away, instead of going to dangerous places like the grocery store.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When I need that extra spark, I load up my shopping cart with lots of fresh veggies and lean meats. If I get hungry an extra serving or two of veggies adds very few calories. I get enough protein to help my muscles recover from exercise - and without many carbs, the scale does drop fast the first week or two.

Good luck!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

Strong first post. How long before you post your "HELP! Why am i not losing/stuck on a plateau" thread?