Anyone have any suggestion on a jump start program

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Get a good workout, I'm loving Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, you've got the likes of Insanity, P90x etc but they are quite hard exercises if your not used to a lot if physical activity! I personally don't think diet alone works as well as the 2 combined!

I would advised, cutting out as much crap as possible, I'm pretty sure I have a sugar addiction so slowly cutting out all sugar (other than natural sugars from fruit) last time I did this the weight dropped off me!

Drink plenty of water , eat healthy, keep active, n remember to keep track of your measurements not just your lbs lost!

Main thing tho, everybody is different. What works for 1 person might not work for another, but focus n determination are the main 2 things u need! I lost 2stone from Nov 2012 to 2013 now I want to lose another 30lbs by this summer, so it can be done!!

:) x

actually, what works for everyone is calorie deficit....

cutting out sugar or 'crap' food has nothing to do with it..you can eat in a deficit, still eat the foods you want, and lose weight.

curious how you are addicted to added sugar, but not fruit sugar? As they are all the same at the molecular level...
  • ndj1979
    Options

When you are up to the challenge, they also have a 21 day cleanse. It is challenging - fruits, vegetables, nuts, and healthy fats. Designed by a nutritionist, it keeps the proper nutrition going, including protein, with cleanse friendly food. It is about removing the toxins from your body, and getting your gut working well, not about weight loss. Still, many lose 5 or more pounds because they are eating healthy. Be aware that this cleanse is not about counting calories, but about getting proper nutrition. During that 21 days you will get rid of coffee, alcohol, soda, refined sugar, gluten (most grains), and meat. The foods are fresh, mostly organic and the recipes require a good deal of prep. That being said, after the first few days of toxin release, you feel great have great skin and can think clearly.

Please list the toxins that this cleanses from you body, that your body already does not cleanse on its own...?????????

OP - go ahead and ignore this one too...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    no such thing as a jump start...

just start eating in a calorie deficit and working out more...

on a trampoline

TRAMPOLINES GIVE AMAZING RESULTS IN JUST 4 DAYS!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1202063-mini-trampoline-amazing-results

guaranteed or your money back!
  • sjacobs106
    sjacobs106 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just did 60 minutes on the treadmill and only burned 475 calories. How fast are you running? At what incline?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What will you do after your jump start is over?

Yeah, do that now instead.
  • gingerh56
    gingerh56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are getting some really good advise. If you want some healthy nutritional recipes, I would go to www.doctoroz.com. There will be a tab for topics and when you click on that, you will something about diet and weight loss. I was stuck on a plateau for a month. I started following Dr. Oz 2-week Jump Start Weight plan but he says its a lifestyle plan. I started a week ago and lost 2 pounds finally!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options

When you are up to the challenge, they also have a 21 day cleanse. It is challenging - fruits, vegetables, nuts, and healthy fats. Designed by a nutritionist, it keeps the proper nutrition going, including protein, with cleanse friendly food. It is about removing the toxins from your body, and getting your gut working well, not about weight loss. Still, many lose 5 or more pounds because they are eating healthy. Be aware that this cleanse is not about counting calories, but about getting proper nutrition. During that 21 days you will get rid of coffee, alcohol, soda, refined sugar, gluten (most grains), and meat. The foods are fresh, mostly organic and the recipes require a good deal of prep. That being said, after the first few days of toxin release, you feel great have great skin and can think clearly.

Enough about the mythical "toxins" already. And unless you have an illness, your gut already works just fine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You are getting some really good advise. If you want some healthy nutritional recipes, I would go to www.doctoroz.com. There will be a tab for topics and when you click on that, you will something about diet and weight loss. I was stuck on a plateau for a month. I started following Dr. Oz 2-week Jump Start Weight plan but he says its a lifestyle plan. I started a week ago and lost 2 pounds finally!

Doctor Oz is the worst thing to happen to the diet and fitness industry since Atkins.

Dr Oz is a shill for supplement companies. He cashed in his medical license for profit many years ago.

Don't ever, ever, ever listen to anything Dr Oz says, and never visit his website.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just did 60 minutes on the treadmill and only burned 475 calories. How fast are you running? At what incline?

Based on what?

If you say number from some site on internet, I'll say it's just an estimate.

If you say number from machine, I'll say it's just an estimate.

If you say number from HRM, I'll say it's just an estimate.

(Although I'll completely understand if the answer is HRM and you get very defensive about the number. I know how people can get very *very* protective of their HRM numbers.)
  • chantelp0508
    chantelp0508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just walking and drinking tons of water helped me a lot
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 5 weeks and have lost 26 pounds. For the first 3 days, I did 1/2 hour on the eliptical. Then I moved to an 800 calorie burned daily goal (about 56 minutes). When I lost the first 10 lbs after like 2 weeks, my goals were re-calculated and 80 calories were taken away from my daily allowance (ughhhhhh!!) so I upped my calories burned to 880 daily. I didn't see the results I wanted that week, so I bumped it up to 1200 calories burned daily. On top of that, I try not to eat more than 1000 calories daily; although on the days I have to be in the office all day, I usually go over. I look at it like this: When I am down to my goal weight, my metabolisim will be functioning correctly and I will be able to eat whatever I like (in moderation), but for now I GOTTA WORK. Which sucks.

56 mins on the elliptical burns 800 calories??

is this real life?

Amy, I burn 15-18 calories a minute on the elliptical. A 50 minute elliptical workout for me burns 750+ calories. :)

i must have a sucky HRM or i suck, because i weigh 213 and am only burning say 400 in 60 mins. :/
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    I have been at it for 5 weeks and have lost 26 pounds. For the first 3 days, I did 1/2 hour on the eliptical. Then I moved to an 800 calorie burned daily goal (about 56 minutes). When I lost the first 10 lbs after like 2 weeks, my goals were re-calculated and 80 calories were taken away from my daily allowance (ughhhhhh!!) so I upped my calories burned to 880 daily. I didn't see the results I wanted that week, so I bumped it up to 1200 calories burned daily. On top of that, I try not to eat more than 1000 calories daily; although on the days I have to be in the office all day, I usually go over. I look at it like this: When I am down to my goal weight, my metabolisim will be functioning correctly and I will be able to eat whatever I like (in moderation), but for now I GOTTA WORK. Which sucks.

Seems legit. :noway:

OP, don't listen to this fool, just jump right in and start. A SANE, moderate deficit, some lifting, a little cardio and patients, the weight will start to fall off.

Rigger

This. It took time to gain fat. It is going to take to to get rid of it. There is no quick fix. Watch your nutrition, start exercising and drink water :)

Edit: And don't do dangerously low calorie intakes like this guy did. That's just setting up to fail.
  • ndj1979
    Options

OP - whatever you do, please do not do this...

Dr. OZ is a quack...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The best "Jump Start" that I can recommend would be to start with the basics:

1. Good Nutrition (count all calories)
    2. Increase activity
    3. Drink plenty of water!

Good luck!

^this

...and #2 and #3 are optional.

#2 isn't really optional.

I mean, if you want to be healthy. If you just want to lose any weight at all...then there's all sorts of crazy surgeries you can try.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Track your calories and exercise
    Exactly
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

2. Increase activity

Good luck!

^this

I mean, if you want to be healthy. If you just want to lose any weight at all...then there's all sorts of crazy surgeries you can try.

OP's stated objective is to get to a certain weight. No reference whatsoever to health...

...and while they're both beneficial to health, they are not essential at all to weight loss...

...so I'm standing by my assertion that #2 and #3 are entirely optional.
  • springdaisy414
    springdaisy414 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try easing up on the strictness of your diet...and eat LOTS of fresh greens, and veggies. Avoid most fruits to start.. they contain a lot of sugars. Drink LOTS of water..and if you have a YMCA or fitness center with a pool nearby, SWIM!!! it's a great non-stressing on the joints activity that burns a lot of calories!!! be advised though...when I'm done with a 35 minute swim, I'm famished. I keep some celery, rice crackers and hummus in the car..(sometimes almond or cashew butter) as a good protein to follow up a workout. Watch the calories in nut butters!!! Try to avoid excess grains...and eat mostly whole grains...some gluten free options are brown rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth.....roast them or steam them and use them in salads or as a side dish....the only way to "Jump Start" a diet, is to decided to do it!...and it's better to think of it as a new way to eat...diets seem to indicate something done for only a little while....expect to slip up, expect plateaus. and expect SUCCESS!!!!
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I used the 17 day diet for the first 17 days and lost 10 pounds. Yes, I could have done the same thing with any calorie deficit that brought me in at the same numbers (around 1200 a day) but for me, this made getting started a bit easier and more interesting and cutting the carbs a bit seems to help for me. I have now settled into a more regular (exercising and logging food) to maintain a deficit and am losing a steady 1-2 pounds per week. The first couple of weeks on any kind of new deficit regimen will likely get results and then it will slow down. Do whatever works for you!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

2. Increase activity

Good luck!

^this

OP's stated objective is to get to a certain weight. No reference whatsoever to health...

...and while they're both beneficial to health, they are not essential at all to weight loss...

...so I'm standing by my assertion that #2 and #3 are entirely optional.

If you don't care about health...the average human leg weighs 40 pounds...
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    FOR MYSELF, I think that "jump start" is counter intuitive to my intention to make a change in my previously negative lifestyle.

I am happy making the positive forward moving initiative to put together strings of purposefully positively organized days leading to improved overall health and reduced weight.

Consider your longterm goals and decide how your short term efforts link to your long term results.